PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul missed votes in the House

runderwo
10-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Found this interesting:

http://theapp.appstate.edu/content/view/2830/41/

Republican candidate Ron Paul is at No. 9, having missed 193 votes out of a total 973.

Not as bad as some of the others, but not stellar either.

skiingff
10-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Found this interesting:

Could it be that he abstains from a lot of votes?

EDIT: He probably makes the most important votes and doesn't bother voting on stupid resolutions and stuff of the like

KewlRonduderules
10-18-2007, 10:19 AM
It is understandable though. He's been campaigning just like the others.

austin356
10-18-2007, 10:23 AM
good miss them damn (relatively) unimportant votes.

LibertyEagle
10-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Who cares? I'd just as soon he missed all but the close ones, until at least the primaries are over! He needs to be campaigning in the early states, big time!!!

JoshLowry
10-18-2007, 10:24 AM
His vote doesn't usually sway much of congress anyways. :p

ButchHowdy
10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Voting is important but consider the WEIGHTIER responsibilities of a Congressman - the bills he's introduced, especially during this campaign.

H.R 3835 - To restore the Constitution's checks and balances and protections against government abuses as envisioned by the Founding Fathers.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/110-h3835/show

Amazing that one must sponsor a bill to simply restore normalcy.

kevman657
10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
The whole reason for him running is to have more power and restore our liberty. It was the same reason he wanted to run for congressman until he realized they don't have much power at all.

He's running for president so he doesn't waste away votes in the House. I don't mind him putting the campaign before his house duties at all.

kylejack
10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
He's running for President. You miss a lot of votes when you run for President. The one I was most disappointed that he missed was the one that basically wiped out FISA's authorization. He should have been there for that.

Kregener
10-18-2007, 10:48 AM
The only person running for president who voted MORE than Ron Paul was Dennis Kucinich? And if it called for MORE government and MORE taxpayer-extorted money, then Kucinich probably voted FOR it.

Take into account that many votes are called for during lame-duck sessions (when MANY reps are home on holidays, etc.) like they did with the Federal Income Tax in 1913, and Ron Paul is not even on the radar screen.

filmmaker58
10-18-2007, 11:03 AM
I was at the Nevada meetup group last night and we were trying to get him to attend some important events in Nevada, but the word is that he cannot, because he refuss to miss votes, as he's still doing his job in the House. I'm sure if there was a record of which votes he missed, all would be explained.

aksmith
10-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Found this interesting:

Actually, voting in congress is the least important thing anyone does. There was a guy from Mississippi, I think, who served for about 40 years and never missed a vote. Then he died, and after he died, we know as much about him as we did before he died. In fact, I can't even remember his name. Voting means nothing until one vote is the deciding vote and even then, if the government wants the bill, someone will switch so the deciding vote is no longer the deciding vote.

It's the bills you introduce and work for. It's the congressthings you can convince to rein in government. And it's the influence you exert on people to pressure other congresscritters.

In those things, Ron Paul stands atop every one of those habitual voters in congress. And when he's president, they'll all start sounding and acting a lot like Ron Paul because that's what they should have been doing the entire time.

Don't we all wish that congress and the president simply NEVER showed up to "do their jobs?" I know I feel more safe when congress is out of session and the president is in Sri Lanka on a goodwill tour.

This article is in a student newspaper and reflects the naivete of one who thinks the government can vote us to a better world.

aksmith
10-18-2007, 11:11 AM
I was at the Nevada meetup group last night and we were trying to get him to attend some important events in Nevada, but the word is that he cannot, because he refuss to miss votes, as he's still doing his job in the House. I'm sure if there was a record of which votes he missed, all would be explained.

I think it may be more accurate to say that he's annoyed by missing votes and can't commit to leaving Washington for the West Coast until the session is ended. We know he has missed some of those votes to attend nationally televised debates. And that's impossible to avoid.

Paul4Prez
10-18-2007, 10:33 PM
I wish he would miss a lot more votes, and spend the time in Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada.

Primbs
10-18-2007, 11:01 PM
He needs to campaign full time.