PDA

View Full Version : Are we raising a generation of nincompoops?

Imaginos
10-04-2010, 08:30 PM
The article from the Boston Globe.
Are we raising a generation of nincompoops? (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2010/09/27/are_we_raising_a_generation_of_nincompoops/)

CoreyBowen999
10-04-2010, 08:31 PM
nope.

awake
10-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Infantilization.

Anti Federalist
10-04-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm surprised it had to be framed as question.

Seems a general statement of fact.

AuH20
10-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Nimcompoops will never dare challenge the state. Sounds like an effective plan if I was a devious megalomaniac with 20 homes. :D;)

BlackTerrel
10-04-2010, 09:27 PM
not really.... as it says in the article - how many 40 year olds know how to milk a cow?

My mom knows how to do it. She doesn't know how to text though - even though I bought her a fancy new iPhone 4 as her first cell phone - it's generational and how you grew up really.

Vessol
10-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Definitely. I believe it has more to do with parenting and public schools than technology as the article claims.

Andrew-Austin
10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
College kids who've never done laundry, taken a bus alone or addressed an envelope.

I do the laundry, but I lol'd at the other part. When do I ever mail things? Never. We have email nowadays you old farts.

Anti Federalist
10-04-2010, 09:45 PM
I do the laundry, but I lol'd at the other part. When do I ever mail things? Never. We have email nowadays you old farts.

Bah, better than you kids who are just salivating at the thought of autodrive cars so you can all vegetate into the human gastropod form seen in the movie Wall-E, being whisked around on hover loungers, texting and twattering into your holographic smart phones about nothing, all day long.

Vessol
10-04-2010, 09:47 PM
I get along with older people more often than those of my generation :\

Andrew-Austin
10-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Bah, better than you kids who are just salivating at the thought of autodrive cars so you can all vegetate into the human gastropod form seen in the movie Wall-E, being whisked around on hover loungers, texting and twattering into your holographic smart phones about nothing, all day long.

Auto-driving car? Sure it would be cool, at present I prefer riding a bike to work though. Saves money and gets me exercise. I never text, nor tweet, nor facebook. But bah you probably know how dangerous collectivist generalizations are, and just typed that post anyways.

Its tempting to go on an old-people bashing tirade, talk about how it was the elder generations who got us in to the bankrupt shit hole society is in at present. But I better not, lest some old fart object they don't belong in my stereotype.

KCIndy
10-04-2010, 11:25 PM
not really.... as it says in the article - how many 40 year olds know how to milk a cow?

Not nearly as many as those who know how to milk the government.

Marenco
10-05-2010, 12:05 AM
YouTube - John Taylor Gatto - State Controlled Consciousness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ogCc8ObiwQ&feature=related)

MN Patriot
03-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Pink Floyd - The Wall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VUhoD3vM9Q&feature=fvst)

There will always be a stubborn few who can see through the lies and manipulation of the Establishment.

Dreamofunity
03-20-2011, 09:57 PM

Ah, sounds like heaven.

heavenlyboy34
03-20-2011, 09:57 PM
YouTube - John Taylor Gatto - State Controlled Consciousness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ogCc8ObiwQ&feature=related)

awesome ^^ :cool:

Pericles
03-21-2011, 02:12 PM

That ^