PDA

View Full Version : My FaceBook Wall conversation

jonahtrainer
10-18-2007, 10:09 AM
So, a few months ago somebody sent me a 'who do you support' widget on Facebook and I checked Ron Paul and then forwarded the widget onto all my friends. Since then I have been communicating via my wall with a few of my friends and such.

Here was the first response I got:

11:26am on August 31st, 2007
so seriously trace, what is it that you like so much about Ron Paul, the man has some serious problems.

This is from my brother-in-law's brother. Their entire family is like a big thunderous herd and they are all connected via a central website, etc. They are very good people and patriotic. The father is a chief of police and I really like him. This particular brother who wrote on my wall, if convinced to support Ron Paul from his current Romney/Fred Thompson, would be a great ally. He is an influence person (I've been trying to persuade him to attend law school as he would probably be very good) and would probably bring the entire clan. So, I have proceeded with extreme caution.

2:06pm on September 3rd, 2007
Ron Paul is a constitutionalist like Jefferson while almost the entire House and Senate are of the Hamilton bent. That does make for a radical departure from our current ideology and philosophy of the role of government.

You mentioned he, the man, has some serious problems. I have been unable to find anything, personally or professionally, that has even an appearance of impropriety. His reputation and voting record reflect he is a good, wise and honest man. I would like to know what particularly you are referencing? So often our candidates are not what the media portrays in soundbites.

Perhaps you meant some ideology & philosophy has serious flaws. If so I would like to know what issues are important to you that Ron Paul fails to address in a satisfactory way. Those issues are probably important to me and I would like to do more research to find the best ideas in the marketplace so I can make a positive contribution in seeking to uphold good, wise and honest officials.

6:41am on September 6th, 2007
Blah personal stuff blah

As for Ron Paul, I would agree with you on most of what you said about him. I find it disrespectful that he blames the United States for 9/11, and the current war and all surrounding it are big issues to me, that stems back to more of my personal beliefs I guess. I would agree that his voting record (from what I have looked at) has been good though. I have disagreements with pretty much every candidate. those that I have with him are more important to me than some of the disagreemtns i have with other candidates.

11:07pm yesterday
I agree the world is very complicated. Dr. Paul thinks the causes for 911 are deeper than 'they hate us because we are rich & free,' but lays ultimate moral responsibility on the 19 terrorist hijackers. I assume you disagree with Dr. Paul’s foreign policy.

Dr. Paul thinks (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FG2PUZoukfA) our foreign policy, practiced since Woodrow Wilson, is UnConstitutional and opposes the Founding Fathers’ advice resulting in 'Blowback (http://youtube.com/watch?v=sjqGBBFiowE)' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=sjqGBBFiowE). Continuing extremely expensive foreign policy like Iraq will result in more Blowback ($ crashed 35%, 120 to 78 since 2001; thus higher gas & food costs).

Therefore, by continuing we will go bankrupt killing & enraging more people. As our dollar continues crashing how do we protect ourselves from terrorists? What about Russia or China (in 2005 China invested $100B in Iranian oil fields)? I find Dr. Paul’s approach very sensible. I’d like to know what you disagree with?

Then all of a sudden I have another very high caliber friend (MBA in Finance and former Federal Reserve employee .... we have fun discussions about money to be sure!) I was talking with on Monday, a Romney supporter, start scribbling on my wall.

10:30pm yesterday Ron Paul is amazing. I have been doing research for the past couple days and I am impressed that he has made it this far. unfortunately, i dont think most uneducated people will take him seriously. lemmings come to mind. Like your friend XXXXXX, I think some might take offense to his position on the war on terror. However, I think if we examine ourselves, we will find Dr. Paul's reasoning to be true. The US has shoved its weight around the globe for far too long. what would I do if China had a military base in San Diego?

I really hope he isn't implying that my brother-in-law's brother is an uneducated lemming because he is a pretty smart guy although somewhat misinformed by the media. So I respond with this (aimed at my brother-in-law's brother):

That was my response to XXXXX [NOTE: previous response was on XXXXX's wall). XXXXXX raises a very good question. These radical terrorists are a major problem. But the question is whether our current foreign policy makes us safer or exacerbates the situation. I tend to agree with the Blowback theory that going over to other people's countries, occupying, starving and killing them engenders more violent hostility.

The old Golden Rule of do unto others. Then we have the other Golden Rule and with our Dollar crashing; how are we going to protect ourself? I think we have made a mistake and gotten into a pretty deep hole and the first thing we should do is stop digging. I suppose I have more faith in the American voter .... but perhaps it will take more terrorist attacks before they realize they are really upsetting people, to the point of suicide attacks, with their foreign policy.

Anyway, just showing how some of the ideas are carrying through. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

mavtek
10-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Seems like you are doing a really great job! Good luck and continue the fight.

Be sure and tell whomever says that Dr. Paul didn't blame the US for being attacked, as you have done in an eloquent and sophisticated way, you should also say it very simply.

Dr. Paul doesn't blame America for terrorism, he blames the gang in Washington and their over zealous foreign policy.

nexalacer
10-18-2007, 10:22 AM
The only suggestion I have is to use fewer declaratives and ask more probing questions. The Socratic method is infinitely more effective in winning over people to your way of thinking than declarative statements are. Declarative statements trigger that defensive response, which makes people become unreceptive to new ideas.

That said, you are doing a great job in those conversations, keep it up!

jonahtrainer
10-18-2007, 10:53 AM
The only suggestion I have is to use fewer declaratives and ask more probing questions. The Socratic method is infinitely more effective in winning over people to your way of thinking than declarative statements are. Declarative statements trigger that defensive response, which makes people become unreceptive to new ideas.

That said, you are doing a great job in those conversations, keep it up!

I agree. It is very difficult to craft a response with the short character limit on Wall postings.