PDA

View Full Version : Leader says global GMO opposition has won

lynnf
10-04-2010, 05:54 AM
keep 'em on the run!

http://www.nwrage.org/content/public-opinion-stopped-gm-says-campaigner

Global resistance has halted the biotech giants, reports Environment Editor Michael McCarthy from the IoS co-sponsored Sustainable Planet Forum

The tide has turned globally against the introduction of genetically modified crops, Lord Melchett, the former director of Greenpeace and campaigner for organic farming and food, said yesterday.

Fifteen years ago, many governments thought GM crops and food would become the norm, but it has not happened because of rising public resistance around the world, and it will not happen, he said.

”This is a redundant technology and many people in Europe may be unaware of the extent of the resistance to GM in places like India and China, because they swallow the GM industry line that it is supported all across the world,” he said. ”I have to say that where we are now with GM leaves me feeling very optimistic.”

Speaking at the Sustainable Planet forum in Lyon, France, he said GM technology, put forward by firms such as Monsanto, the US agribusiness giant and pesticide manufacturer, had achieved its initial success only ”through secrecy”, he said. Many aspects of it had been kept a secret from farmers and consumers, but once labelling of GM products began, public support collapsed. He cited the case of Monsanto’s GM bovine growth hormone milk.

paulitics
10-04-2010, 06:11 AM
No, Gmo has won in this country, but not the world.

fisharmor
10-04-2010, 06:19 AM
Hooray! Let 'em all starve!

johngr
10-04-2010, 06:47 AM

False dilemma.

BenIsForRon
10-04-2010, 11:43 AM

So... playing God with the genetic material of plants is the only possible way to end hunger in the world?

fisharmor
10-04-2010, 12:12 PM
So... playing God with the genetic material of plants is the only possible way to end hunger in the world?

Not what I said.
I am not talking about world hunger.
I am implying that if we ask the state to exercise the power it would need to use in order to stop GM research, starvation would ensue.

The underlying assumption used to decry GM foods is that toying with nature is bad for us.
It is a gratuitous assertion, and I deny it equally gratuitously - though I have on my side the evidence that mankind has been effing with nature for 10,000 years, and we're still all here.

The entire GM argument is hypotheticals and maybes and sposetas.
If they had something more than some allergic reactions in their argument, I'd listen.
If they supported legal action from organic farmers that had their organic label threatened by gone-wild GM crops, I'd listen.
If they organized a UL or OU type company that would certify that organic foods are what they say they are, so that people could avoid GM foods, I'd listen.

But that's not what I'm hearing from anti-GM people. I'm hearing a lot of appeals to the state. The state already has far too much control over our food, none of it does us any good, and so certainly no good will come from giving them more.

Vessol
10-04-2010, 12:45 PM
The battle may be one, but the war is far from over. Don't put away your pitchforks yet gentlemen and ladies.