PDA

View Full Version : McCain's enemy belligerent interrogation, detention and prosecution ACT goes to cmte

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
10-04-2010, 03:30 AM
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-3081

This link will let you read the text of the bill. Some real interesting stuff in here. I found section 5 to be especially interesting:

SEC. 5. DETENTION WITHOUT TRIAL OF UNPRIVILEGED ENEMY BELLIGERENTS.

An individual, including a citizen of the United States, determined to be an unprivileged enemy belligerent under section 3(c)(2) in a manner which satisfies Article 5 of the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War may be detained without criminal charges and without trial for the duration of hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners in which the individual has engaged, or which the individual has purposely and materially supported, consistent with the law of war and any authorization for the use of military force provided by Congress pertaining to such hostilities.

dean.engelhardt
10-04-2010, 07:38 AM
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s111-3081

This link will let you read the text of the bill. Some real interesting stuff in here. I found section 5 to be especially interesting:

SEC. 5. DETENTION WITHOUT TRIAL OF UNPRIVILEGED ENEMY BELLIGERENTS.

An individual, including a citizen of the United States, determined to be an unprivileged enemy belligerent under section 3(c)(2) in a manner which satisfies Article 5 of the Geneva Convention Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War may be detained without criminal charges and without trial for the duration of hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners in which the individual has engaged, or which the individual has purposely and materially supported, consistent with the law of war and any authorization for the use of military force provided by Congress pertaining to such hostilities.

Didn't this guy take an oath to uphold the constitution? Shouldn't we be talking about an impeachment?

Lucille
10-04-2010, 08:17 AM
That man is a disgrace.

In the AZ Senate debate, Nolan said it was like something out of East Germany and it was one of the main reasons he entered the race.

Oh look. There's "Scotty B," tea party darling and brother of the Maine twins.

Cosponsors:
Scott Brown [R-MA]
Saxby Chambliss [R-GA]
James Inhofe [R-OK]
George LeMieux [R-FL]
Joseph Lieberman [I-CT]
Jefferson Sessions [R-AL]

John Thune [R-SD]
Roger Wicker [R-MS]
David Vitter [R-LA] (withdrawn)

amy31416
10-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Cosponsors:
Scott Brown [R-MA]
Saxby Chambliss [R-GA]
James Inhofe [R-OK]
George LeMieux [R-FL]
Joseph Lieberman [I-CT]
Jefferson Sessions [R-AL]

John Thune [R-SD]
Roger Wicker [R-MS]
David Vitter [R-LA] (withdrawn)

Republicans in general are a disgrace when it comes to civil liberties and ethics. Makes me sick because the GOP could be so different if they'd only follow their alleged platform/principles. :mad:

ETA: from govtrack site:

Sources of Influence

MAPLight.org reports that the following organizations have taken a stance on this bill:
Oppose
Campaign for Liberty
Cato Institute
Amnesty International
Arkansas Libertarian Party

No organizations are listed as official supports--must be a new feature on the site. I like it!

teacherone
10-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Yay Scott Brown!! Our savior!! WOOO HOOOO!!1!!!