PDA

View Full Version : Please write Reason Magazine asking for a cover story

Ridiculous
10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Please write a letter to Reason Magazine asking for a cover Ron Paul story.

They don't officially endorse candidates, but their focus is on "Free Minds & Markets" and they cover libertarian related issues. Ron Paul is THE free minds and markets story of the year. They are pretty respected and are not "tinfoil hat" or "truther" at all. They have major distribution and are on the stands at stores like Barns & Noble and Borders and I've usually seen it next to the Economist. so if you like Reason or not, it would get his face out there......

It is our best chance to get him on the cover of respectable mag with this type of distribution. Drew Carry and Penn Jullete are both Reason contributors.

WRITE THEM AND MAKE SURE IT IS A SURE THING! Ask them why he hasn't been on the cover yet, being that their mag is about "Free Minds & Markets". Say you like their mag and you'd really like them do do a feature on Paul etc...

They are all pretty much on board with Paul, they just haven't put him on the cover...

Their email addresses are from the website:

http://www.reason.com

Reason Staff Direct: http://www.reason.com/staff/
Letters to the editor: letters@reason.com
Editor and Cheif: gillespie@reason.com

kylejack
10-18-2007, 08:51 AM
I admit I'd love a cover story, but don't you think most Reason readers are already clued in to Ron Paul?

Brinck Slattery
10-18-2007, 08:51 AM
I think Dave Weigel is on their campaign beat, and he may do a write-up for an upcoming issue. Hell, they had a whole issue about how McCain is evil, I don't see why they wouldn't do one on why Ron Paul is great.

But it'll probably be about the makeup and surprising vitality of the campaign, not a puff piece about the man himself.

toowm
10-18-2007, 08:54 AM
I think they've done a decent job at negative coverage of the other frontrunners, notably their cover article on McCain back when he mattered. Their "Hit & Run" blog has been so/so on RP coverage. I think reason and definitely the Cato Institute have a minority of folks excited about RP and some leadership that think he is actually hurting the liberty movement. :confused: :mad:

Brinck Slattery
10-18-2007, 08:58 AM
they're concerned that the sound money and immigration stuff will turn people off to the libertarian message. It's not a very well-placed concern, I disagree with Paul on some things but hes the best damn candidate I've seen in my life.

torchbearer
10-18-2007, 08:58 AM
They should use the Ron Paul mosaic as the cover and make the movement the story, not the man.... the Ron Paul Revolution and the rise of libertarianism in america circa 2008.

torchbearer
10-18-2007, 08:59 AM
They should use the Ron Paul mosaic as the cover and make the movement the story, not the man.... the Ron Paul Revolution and the rise of libertarianism in america circa 2008.

Should I pitch them that idea?

kylejack
10-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Yep.

torchbearer
10-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Can someone help me in finding a very hi-res jpg of the best Ron Paul mosaic so i can send it with the email?

torchbearer
10-18-2007, 09:05 AM
found a 1150x1600 mosaic, that should be big enough.

Ridiculous
10-18-2007, 09:08 AM
I realize most Reason readers are already on board.

I am talking about getting his face on news stands. Plus, if one mag gives him a cover others might follow.

Brinck Slattery
10-18-2007, 09:08 AM
that's an awesome idea - pitch it to Weigel or Brian Doherty, they're the campaign/libertarian culture writers (in that order).

Ridiculous
10-18-2007, 09:09 AM
found a 1150x1600 mosaic, that should be big enough.

They probably wouldn't put something on their cover that has been used as a campaign advertisement. It would be like putting a campaign ad on their cover for free, which just isn't respectable journalism. They'd would need to make a new mosaic if they were going to do something like that.

torchbearer
10-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Sent Gillespie the following email:

Please entertain this proposal:
The cover would be something like the Ron Paul mosaic attach, the content of the story would actually focus on the movement that is developing and how it surpasses the man himself, Ron Paul.
I'm not great with headlines, but the spirit of the article could be summarize with this headline.... the Ron Paul Revolution and the rise of libertarianism in america circa 2008.
thank you for your time. If you need assistance with research etc regard the above mentioned material please feel free to contact me.
<please see attachments>

Sincerely,

Brent Sanders
At-Large Rep., Libertarian Party of Louisiana (former vice-chair)
http://www.joinsanders.com

torchbearer
10-18-2007, 09:16 AM
They probably wouldn't put something on their cover that has been used as a campaign advertisement. It would be like putting a campaign ad on their cover for free. They'd would need to make a new mosaic if they were going to do something like that.

I found a mosaic that was just a picture. there was no campaign literature imposed on it. On a cover story, they would use a picture of Ron Paul, and it is... but it has all of us in it too. Its perfect to describe what is going on with the Ron Paul campaign.
It's the real deal!

Ridiculous
10-18-2007, 09:23 AM
I found a mosaic that was just a picture. there was no campaign literature imposed on it. On a cover story, they would use a picture of Ron Paul, and it is... but it has all of us in it too. Its perfect to describe what is going on with the Ron Paul campaign.
It's the real deal!

Here is my point. If I was an editor, I would want a new picture of Paul, not one that has been used before, anywhere, on my cover. I would especially not want a picture that has been used in a political ad. As they are a libertarian mag, but do not officially endorse candidates they need to be somewhat objective. Putting a mosaic that has been used in a political ad on the cover of a magazine isn't good journalism.

It would be like Time or Newsweek, using a picture of Hillary/Rudy etc from one of their PACs ads along with a positive story. They would never do that, they use an original picture....

Ridiculous
10-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Bump. Please write Reason!

Johncjackson
10-18-2007, 12:15 PM
I don't think it's anything firm, but these days they mostly use illustrated covers. There are a couple guys they seem to use pretty exclusively. Tend to use the cover and cover story for a specific issue, not a person.

DrNoZone
10-18-2007, 12:28 PM

Brilliant idea! Pitch it!

DrNoZone
10-18-2007, 12:29 PM
They probably wouldn't put something on their cover that has been used as a campaign advertisement. It would be like putting a campaign ad on their cover for free, which just isn't respectable journalism. They'd would need to make a new mosaic if they were going to do something like that.

It hasn't been used by the campaign. It's been used by the grassroots supporters, which is precisely why they should use it.

torchbearer
10-18-2007, 02:47 PM
It hasn't been used by the campaign. It's been used by the grassroots supporters, which is precisely why they should use it.

+1.

Matt Collins
10-18-2007, 10:58 PM
found a 1150x1600 mosaic, that should be big enough.I think it should be at least 300dpi for print