PDA

View Full Version : Oakland Police shoot and kill family labrador

Brian4Liberty
09-30-2010, 11:17 PM
It really seems that the entire country needs to examine Police training and procedure. This shoot first, ask questions later nonsense has to end.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/25234528/detail.html

An Oakland police spokeswoman said the officer followed proper protocol. The officer had thought it might be a burglary in progress and said he feared for his safety when the dog ran toward him.

BuddyRey
09-30-2010, 11:43 PM
I've never met a Lab, but they're supposed to be really sweet dogs in general. Same for Corgis, but that didn't stop those assholes in Columbia, MO from firing on one during a late-night drug raid.

Why do so many crooked cops derive so much enjoyment from killing our best friends?

Brian4Liberty
10-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Another story on this incident:

OAKLAND -- An Oakland woman says her 11-year-old arthritic yellow Labrador, Gloria, was gentle and had never bitten anyone. But police responding to a burglar alarm at the home Tuesday said the dog growled and barked at them, and they feared she was about to attack.

One of the officers fired three rounds -- at least one of which struck the dog in the head, killing her.

Mary Kate Hallock says it happened as she was running errands, and she arrived home to find a note on the door from police, which said that the dog had "advanced on officers in a threatening manner."

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_16225999

Brian4Liberty
10-01-2010, 01:26 PM
I've never met a Lab, but they're supposed to be really sweet dogs in general.

They are barkers. And they are overly friendly in that they like to jump on you and drool all over you. Usually not biters though. If you are afraid of dogs and don't know how to deal with them, you might panic. The Police should not be in that category though, as it would make them unsuited for Police work in general.

nobody's_hero
10-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I think it's all in how they're raised.

But, seriously, get these cops some fucking dog biscuits to throw out. Gets old hearing about another dog-shooting.

Pericles
10-01-2010, 04:11 PM

But, seriously, get these cops some fucking dog biscuits to throw out. Gets old hearing about another dog-shooting.
Dogs don't shoot back.

Dr.3D
10-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Even the postal carrier knows to use pepper spray. Now the cops are going beyond postal.

phill4paul
10-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Even the postal carrier knows to use pepper spray. Now the cops are going beyond postal.

Shush yourself. We are only a hairsbreadth away from postal carriers being duly appointed Homeland ( I hate that fuggin' term) Security Agents with a license to kill.

Gotta prop up the Postal Services some way. I can think of no other way to keep Saturday deliveries than rationalizing that the workers have a "finger on the pulse" of their neighborhoods.

pcosmar
10-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Many Postal carriers carry dog treats.
Even the last UPS guy out here had treats for the dogs.

Duh !

Dr.3D
10-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Many Postal carriers carry dog treats.
Even the last UPS guy out here had treats for the dogs.

Duh !

LOL, a few weeks ago, I let my Dobermans out before I knew the UPS guy was in the driveway. I looked out the door and saw what looked like a guy carrying a big box balanced on the nose of a large Doberman Pinscher. I told the guy I was sorry and that I had let them out before I knew he was there. Of course my puppies didn't hurt him, they just wanted to smell his behind.

Anti Federalist
10-01-2010, 04:57 PM
OAKLAND -- An Oakland woman says her 11-year-old arthritic yellow Labrador, Gloria, was gentle and had never bitten anyone. But police responding to a burglar alarm at the home Tuesday said the dog growled and barked at them, and they feared she was about to attack.

Dogs smell an asshole a mile away.

Great story, another "we'll invade your house when we feel like it Mundane, and be thankful we just shot your dog and not you".

Dr.3D
10-01-2010, 05:00 PM

Dogs smell an asshole a mile away.

Great story, another "we'll invade your house when we feel like it Mundane, and be thankful we just shot your dog and not you".

Seems there is nothing more dangerous than a fearful cop.

Cowlesy
10-01-2010, 05:08 PM
11 year old labrador retrievers with hip displasyia, 84 yr old WWII vets.......ssdd.

Anti Federalist
10-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Seems there is nothing more dangerous than a fearful cop.

And their training is telling them they are to be afraid 24/7, that they are surrounded by enemy hostiles (us), and that they should not hesitate to neutralize any threat, no matter how minor, immediately and with deadly force.

Gunny asked me to get him more info on this, I'm on it, now that I'm home.

Anti Federalist
10-01-2010, 05:10 PM
11 year old labrador retrievers with hip displasyia, 84 yr old WWII vets.......ssdd.

Move along, Mundane, nothing to see here.

pcosmar
10-01-2010, 05:11 PM
and they feared she was about to attack.

:confused:
How fuckin' lame do you have to be to fear that an 11-year-old arthritic yellow Labrador is going to attack.
I'll bet that dog couldn't seriously attack a hamburger.
:(

phill4paul
10-01-2010, 05:11 PM

And ^^that^^ is putting it in perspective.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=261286&highlight=neck+break

phill4paul
10-01-2010, 05:12 PM
I'll bet that dog couldn't seriously attack a hamburger.
:(

Not a laughing matter this story. Your post, however, is funny as hell.

Brian4Liberty
10-05-2010, 01:37 PM
His life was in imminent danger. :rolleyes: The dog may have reached for a weapon. Did the dog aim the .38 Special found next to it's body at the officer?

More on this story:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/04/BAKO1FO89R.DTL

Oakland police Officer Victor Garcia believed his life was in imminent danger when he opened fire and fatally shot Gloria, an 11-year-old arthritic Labrador retriever...

When the officers observed an open back door, they took positions in the front and back of the house, drew their weapons and called for backup, authorities said. While they were waiting for help to arrive, Gloria emerged from the open door and approached Garcia in "a threatening manner." Garcia shot her three times.

If it's potentially dangerous situations like this when a police officer's training kicks in, then more training is needed to help officers make a judgment call based on knowledge rather than convenience.

Once again, the "training" is terribly flawed. Seems that the training consists of shooting anything that moves.

HOLLYWOOD
10-05-2010, 03:47 PM
DO that to a POLICE DOG and you're in prison for 5 years.

Just another chapter in the state of 1984. I guess until enough American Zombies have the same done to them... they MAY wake up and realize what the STATE is truly about and lost of rights in the rigged game.

acptulsa
10-05-2010, 03:54 PM
DO that to a POLICE DOG and you're in prison for 5 years.

This in spite of the fact that, no matter how well trained, a police dog has the same lack of cognitive and communication ability as your dog. So, the major difference is that the dog is presumably under a human's control (until both the suspect and the dog far outrun the k-9 officer, of course). And the major excuse is that 'the police dog doesn't have opportunity to attack anyone but perps' and blah blah blah.

That said, the police dog knows nothing of your Constitutional rights. And neither, apparently, does the cop who is on your property when you're not home, but they'll insist that's beside the point... :rolleyes:

sratiug
10-05-2010, 04:25 PM

No. Cops are just mean and scared in general.

Maximus
10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
As bad as this is, I'm happy this cop shot a dog rather than a child, or a pregnant woman, etc

He seems to be on the "higher end" of the scum