PDA

View Full Version : Prop 19 favored 52% to 41%

MozoVote
09-30-2010, 05:55 PM
http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/survey/S_910MBS.pdf

Strong majorities of independent (65%), Democratic (63%), and Latino (63%) likely voters support Proposition 19 when read the full ballot title and label, as do those age 18–34 (70%).

The proposition to legalize Cannabis sales is even polling equally in the over 55 bracket, traditioanlly a resistant group, with 47% to 46% in favor with 7% undecided.

This is starting to sound more and more, like we have reached a turning point with the public. With these numbers, a resounding majority, 55% or better could be about to vote in favor.

dannno
09-30-2010, 05:56 PM
I guess enough old people died finally.

sevin
09-30-2010, 05:57 PM

:D Exactly.

nobody's_hero
09-30-2010, 05:59 PM

Lol, true, but let me put in your disclaimer before that comment gets you in trouble:

"This comment by dannno excludes members of RPF who are young at heart." ;)

dannno
09-30-2010, 06:20 PM
bump

RedStripe
09-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Would love to see the state/fed fireworks over this one.

robert9712000
09-30-2010, 09:51 PM
They'll defiantly be fireworks,cause even if the voters pass it, the feds wont allow it

BlackTerrel
09-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Wow. Wouldn't have expected it to be such a clear majority. Thanks for posting.

surf
09-30-2010, 11:10 PM
i read where Schwarzenegger said this would make California a "laughingstock."

like it's not already (sorry Danno)

BuddyRey
09-30-2010, 11:40 PM

I know plenty of 50-and-over pot smokers who would resemble that remark. :D

Maximus
10-01-2010, 01:04 AM
This will pass... if we could pas a fucking high speed train bill... we can pass pot legalization

sarahgop
10-01-2010, 05:17 AM
i hope this measure fails and we dont legalize a gateway drug.

nobody's_hero
10-01-2010, 05:25 AM

Like governmentannabis? —The only drug that conclusively leads people to try bigger and worse things.

eqcitizen
10-01-2010, 06:02 AM
I would love to see California pass this and make the feds furious.

specsaregood
10-01-2010, 06:47 AM

Are you in california?

squarepusher
10-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Governor Arnold just decriminalized marijuana today

http://theinternettoday.net/news/governor-arnold-schwarzenegger-just-decriminalized-marijuana-in-california/

This means it is no longer even a misdemeanor in cali to carry 1 ounce or less, of weed (before, it was a non arrestable misdemeanor). Prop 19 will not effect any laws over 1 ounce of weed, so essentially it does very little now.
-If you have over 1 ounce of weed, prop 19 will not help you.
-Right now, if you have under 1 ounce, it is now, as of today now that governor signed new law, a civil infraction

ie: prop 19 hardly does anything, except
1) allow you to grow 5x5 feet per piece of land (lol)
2) allow mega corporations and commercial cash croppers to do whatever they want

specsaregood
10-01-2010, 07:02 AM
This means it is no longer even a misdemeanor in cali to carry 1 ounce or less, of weed (before, it was a non arrestable misdemeanor). Prop 19 will not effect any laws over 1 ounce of weed, so essentially it does very little now.
-Right now, if you have under 1 ounce, it is now, as of today now that governor signed new law, a civil infraction

2) allow mega corporations and commercial cash croppers to do whatever they want

Really because from the link:

Under the bill signed today, SB 1449, by Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco), pot possession will be treated like a traffic ticket. The fine will remain at $100, and there will be no arrest record.

How is it a good thing that you will still get a $100 ticket for having less than an ounce of pot on you? Sounds like prop 19. will still do a lot.

Also, why LOL at 5x5 feet? One can grow enough pot for self-use in 5x5 feet.

squarepusher
10-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Really because from the link:

How is it a good thing that you will still get a $100 ticket for having less than an ounce of pot on you? Sounds like prop 19. will still do a lot.

Also, why LOL at 5x5 feet? One can grow enough pot for self-use in 5x5 feet.

prop 19 will not reduce prison or arrests for marijuana possession, further it creates a handful new felony offenses in which to send people to jail for over this plant. Also it is taking current medical patients rights away (discussed elsewhere).

all in all i see it as a bad can of tomatoes with the benefit of a few elites being able to make a ton of money (and no, its not even guaranteed tax revenue for "worthwhile" programs)

specsaregood
10-01-2010, 07:22 AM
prop 19 will not reduce prison or arrests for marijuana possession, further it creates a handful new felony offenses in which to send people to jail for over this plant. Also it is taking current medical patients rights away (discussed elsewhere).

all in all i see it as a bad can of tomatoes with the benefit of a few elites being able to make a ton of money (and no, its not even guaranteed tax revenue for "worthwhile" programs)

Please explain how prop 19 will repeal the law that your Gov. signed yesterday. I'm not disagreeing, just intrigued.

MozoVote
10-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Following is the governor's signing statement... although the bill removes criminal penalties, people can still be fined. The distinction here is that Prop 19 will remove the civil penalties too and prod cities and counties to establish legal licensing frameworks. And I don't think today's signed legislative bill, has legalized personal growing in a 5x5 space.

If Prop 19 was not on the ballot, it'd be bigger news. The kind of step forward that would normally be welcomed.

To the Members of the California State Senate:

I am signing Senate Bill 1449.

This bill changes the crime of possession of less than an ounce of marijuana from a misdemeanor punishable only by a $100 fine to an infraction punishable by a $100 fine. Under existing law, jail time cannot be imposed, probation cannot be ordered, nor can the base fine exceed $100 for someone convicted of this crime.

I am opposed to decriminalizing the possession and recreational use of marijuana and oppose Proposition 19, which is on the November ballot.

Unfortunately, Proposition 19 is a deeply flawed measure that, if passed, will adversely impact California’s businesses without bringing in the tax revenues to the state promised by its proponents.

Notwithstanding my opposition to Proposition 19, however, I am signing this measure because possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is an infraction in everything but name. The only difference is that because it is a misdemeanor, a criminal defendant is entitled to a jury trial and a defense attorney.

In this time of drastic budget cuts, prosecutors, defense attorneys, law enforcement, and the courts cannot afford to expend limited resources prosecuting a crime that carries the same punishment as a traffic ticket.

As noted by the Judicial Council in its support of this measure, the appointment of counsel and the availability of a jury trial should be reserved for defendants who are facing loss of life, liberty, or property greater than $100.

For these reasons, I am signing this bill.

Sincerely, Arnold Schwarzenegger

TonySutton
10-01-2010, 08:31 AM
As noted by the Judicial Council in its support of this measure, the appointment of counsel and the availability of a jury trial should be reserved for defendants who are facing loss of life, liberty, or property greater than $100.

Does Arnold understand the meaning of liberty?

MozoVote
10-01-2010, 09:22 AM
LOL! Prop 19 is more popular than *any* of the major candidates.

http://blog.norml.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Prop19_PPIC-2010-09-300x218.jpg

idirtify
10-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Governor Arnold just decriminalized marijuana today

http://theinternettoday.net/news/governor-arnold-schwarzenegger-just-decriminalized-marijuana-in-california/

Growing as much as you can in a 5x5 space is pretty significant; like the difference between one ounce and ten+ pounds!

But I’m curious. So with prop 19 you can HAVE ten pounds, but only CARRY (“on the street”) one ounce? So I guess you won’t be able to grow if your property is across the street and you have to carry it to your house.

dannno
10-01-2010, 09:56 AM

You mean alcohol? Sorry, that's been legal for decades.

I don't know anybody who smoked herb or did any other drugs before they drank alcohol. How is that not a gateway drug?

You should really educate yourself about cannabis, it is literally one of the safest substances known to mankind. You were lied to about it by your government just like you were lied to about Iraq.

All of our founding fathers grew hemp.

Not that Lincoln is the most well regarded person around here, but he once said his favorite activity was playing his harmonica and smoking sweet hemp on his porch.

Why do you feel you have the right to tell other people what they can and cannot do with their body?

MozoVote
10-01-2010, 10:11 AM
$100 in CA, is just a trip to the ATM for a few day's petty cash for gas and food. Or about 2 parking tickets. The new law does show more apathy on the part of the state, to enforce prohibition.

specsaregood
10-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I don't know anybody who smoked herb or did any other drugs before they drank alcohol. How is that not a gateway drug?

Nice to meet you. I smoked herb before I ever tried a drink or had tobacco --not that I agree with sarahgop as I'm certainly in the minority.

sarahgop
10-02-2010, 05:28 AM
we must ban weed.

OrigSEOH
10-02-2010, 05:31 AM
Gateway to cookies and milk...