PDA

View Full Version : DSCC canceling some ad buys in Kentucky

Libertea Party
09-30-2010, 03:10 PM
In addition to going up with ad buys in #CTSEN, @DSCC is canceling some buys in #KYSEN, per sources. http://twitter.com/FixAaron/status/26012690608

And that makes Kentucky Democrats very sad:
http://www.lazy-lranch.com/sad.gif

UPDATE: From Hotline
(http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2010/09/dscc_cancels_ad.php)
The DSCC has canceled some ad reservations in Kentucky, a likely sign that the Democratic committee is re-evaluating whether it is worth spending money there this year.

A Republican source who monitors ad buys told Hotline On Call that the DSCC has canceled reservations there for next week. The DSCC had reserved about $292K worth of air time during that time span.

The move may indicate that Democrats view the race between AG Jack Conway (D) and ophthalmologist Rand Paul (R) as moving outside their grasp.

It is worth noting, however, the Democrats reserved $1.6M in Kentucky and have yet to go on the air there. Therefore, the DSCC is not completely pulling out of the state. They could still use their later reservations to air ads.

The DSCC declined to comment on its ad buy strategy.

The cancellation is another indication that the DSCC is re-evaluating its spending strategy as some states that were believed to be sure things have become increasingly competitive. Earlier Wednesday, the DSCC reserved air time in Connecticut, a state the was firmly in the Democratic column at the beginning of the cycle. The DSCC reserved $250K in Connecticut, roughly the same amount it is canceling in Kentucky.

The cancellation also comes a day after the DSCC unexpectedly went up in West Virginia, a sign that that race has also tightened.

Not all the news this week has been bad for Democrats, though. In Washington and California -- two races that looked like pick up opportunities for the GOP just a month ago -- Sens. Patty Murray (D-WA) and Barbara Boxer (D-CA) appear to be opening up leads in recent polls.

sailingaway
09-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm sure they'll just say the GOP pulled its ads, too....

Which is fine. I'd just as soon do without both the GOP and DSCC. Sounds like the primary, with fewer people muddying the water....

TheDriver
09-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Thank Linda McMahon!

low preference guy
09-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Thank Linda McMahon!

lol!

+1 for Linda!

JohnEngland
09-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Thank Linda McMahon!

Of course!! It all makes sense now! Peter Schiff let Linda McMahon win because he knew that she would divert Democrat resources from Kentucky to Connecticut, thus making it easier for Rand Paul!! Truly, a man of great foresight.

Well played, Peter. Well played.

MozoVote
09-30-2010, 06:23 PM
This is the "tell" I was waiting to hear. I think the Dem leadship is reaching the stage with all the bad polling that it has to focus on retaining the seats it can retain. This was a GOP seat to begin with.

Libertea Party
09-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Looks like the DSCC had to be shamed into supporting their nominee:

UPDATE 7:08 p.m.: The DSCC now appears to be back up in Kentucky next week. A Democratic source says the ad buy is now there.

One Republican source said the DSCC has reached out to stations after canceling their buys for the week of Oct. 5.

Hello Senators McMahon, Raese and Paul!

sailingaway
09-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Looks like the DSCC had to be shamed into supporting their nominee:

Hello Senators McMahon, Raese and Paul!

NRSC challenged them to still buy against Rand when they kept their buys for Fiorini.

NRSC wants them to waste money. Or doesn't want the 'tea party' to have any 'blowout' candidates....

I wish NRSC would keep its trap shut.