PDA

View Full Version : In Colo. Gov., GOP becoming third party (Constitution party: 34%, Republican: 15%)

RonPaulFanInGA
09-30-2010, 08:37 AM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0910/42847.html

The implosion of Colorado gubernatorial candidate Dan Maes is becoming so apparent that it’s likely to leave the Republican nominee finishing in third place on election night.

It’s an embarrassing and disheartening prospect for a party that just months ago believed it had an even shot at taking over the governor’s mansion in the Rocky Mountain State.

A new Pulse Opinion Research survey of the three-way contest released Tuesday showed Maes capturing just 15 percent of the vote, 19 points behind American Constitution candidate Tom Tancredo, who launched a bid after he rendered the Republican unelectable. Democratic Mayor John Hickenlooper leads Tancredo 44 percent to 34 percent, according to the Sept. 25 survey, conducted for Fox News.

The Pulse survey follows two other polls taken earlier this month showing Maes stuck in third place, as Republicans continue to abandon his bid because of questions about his fitness for office.

“I’m not surprised at all. None of his statements are resonating with voters. His debate performances are poor. He’s not catching on with the party, he’s not raising money. It’s not a viable campaign,” said Mike Beasley, a GOP lobbyist and former policy director for Gov. Bill Owens.

Jen Raiffie, a conservative activist and former Tancredo campaign staffer, said the momentum for Tancredo was most recently evident at a Sunday fundraiser featuring Maricopa County, Ariz. Sheriff Joe Arpaio, which drew nearly a thousand people, including many former Maes supporters.

“What is clear is that the Maes zombies are waking up and some, more reluctant than others, are finding themselves being welcomed into Camp Tancredo with loving and open arms. There is a lot of bad blood between some of these activist. The question is: Will they finally unite together in support of Tancredo? The momentum indicates that they will unite overall, in my opinion,” wrote Raiffie in an e-mail.

GOVERNOR – COLORADO
John Hickenlooper (D): 44%
Tom Tancredo (C): 34%
Dan Maes (R): 15%

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/28/fox-news-polls-democrats-tough-job-building-senate-firewall/

AuH2O
09-30-2010, 08:42 AM
Ehh, it's not the party. It's a shitty GOP candidate and a high-profile third party candidate. In any other situation in Colorado, the GOP is crushing the CP.

Epic
09-30-2010, 08:45 AM
If Maes would've just dropped out, it would've been a close race between Tancredo and Hickenlooper.

erowe1
09-30-2010, 08:47 AM
If Maes would've just dropped out, it would've been a close race between Tancredo and Hickenlooper.

He must be getting asked about this. Has he said anything to indicate there's a chance it could happen?

RonPaulFanInGA
09-30-2010, 08:54 AM
He must be getting asked about this. Has he said anything to indicate there's a chance it could happen?

Defiant Maes stays in race as state GOP, top business leaders pull support
http://www.coloradostatesman.com/content/992117-defiant-maes-stays-race-state-gop-top-business-leaders-pull-support

AuH2O
09-30-2010, 09:01 AM

I doubt it. Look at the establishment GOP all over -- withholding endorsements, running write-in campaigns . . . generally being sore losers.

erowe1
09-30-2010, 09:06 AM
I doubt it. Look at the establishment GOP all over -- withholding endorsements, running write-in campaigns . . . generally being sore losers.

Yeah, but those are mostly people with longstanding memberships in the good-ole-boys club of the GOP. I don't think Maes has that background.

specsaregood
09-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Except at the root, isn't Tancredo a member of their club still?

ChaosControl
09-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Meh its irrelevant as its not a legitimate third party candidate, just a GOP defect. And it isn't like a third party is gaining any lasting traction.

specsaregood
09-30-2010, 09:21 AM
Meh its irrelevant as its not a legitimate third party candidate, just a GOP defect. And it isn't like a third party is gaining any lasting traction.

I wouldn't necessarily go that far. Getting people willing to vote 3rd party seems to be half the battle. But, is Tancredo actively campaigning with and for other CP candidates in the state? (assuming there are some)

sailingaway
09-30-2010, 09:31 AM
EXCELLENT.

Just opening people's minds to the possibililty is the main thing. The candidates need to be the best, whatever party they are in.

AuH2O
09-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Except at the root, isn't Tancredo a member of their club still?

I don't think so. He ran -- and forced the issue -- on immigration when clearly the majority of both parties didn't want to touch it.

ninepointfive
09-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Everytime I get excited about a Tancredo and Third party run, I'm reminded by a good friend of mine about his votes on the Patriot act, and the bailouts.

what a shame.

specsaregood
09-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Everytime I get excited about a Tancredo and Third party run, I'm reminded by a good friend of mine about his votes on the Patriot act, and the bailouts.

what a shame.

And his admiration/promotion of torture? eg: "I'm looking for Jack Bauer"

Aratus
09-30-2010, 10:47 AM
if tancredo pulls achingly close to hickenlooper or pulls past him, what message will this send to mitch mcconnell and the RNC?

erowe1
09-30-2010, 10:49 AM
if tancredo pulls achingly close to hickenlooper or pulls past him, what message will this send to mitch mcconnell + the RNC?

They'll throw Maes under the bus. And they'll probably use it as a lesson for Republican primary voters to say, "See. If you wanted to win, you should have nominated the Republican we picked instead of this Maes loser."

Lucille
10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Malkin (http://theothermccain.com/2010/10/04/attagirl-michelle-malkin-endorses-tancredo-for-colorado-governor/) just endorsed Tancredo.

teamrican1
10-04-2010, 03:26 PM

what a shame.

He's called for the legalization of Drugs in Colorado. That alone is enough to support him in my book. We need as many people as we can pushing different "radical" liberty positions across the country.