PDA

View Full Version : Found a place to set up a libertarian paradise...

tangent4ronpaul
09-30-2010, 02:42 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-earth-like-planet,0,7897054.story

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A decadelong hunt by an astronomer at the University of California, Santa Cruz has yielded the discovery of a planet that could be the most Earth-like planet ever discovered -- and the best case yet for a habitable one, ending our cosmic loneliness.

The planet, called Gliese 581g, is located in prime real estate within the constellation Libra, where it's sweater weather, not too windy, with scenic views of a white sky.

"It could be the Goldilocks planet, neither too hot nor too cold … orbiting its star in a 'habitable zone,' " said Steven Vogt of UC Santa Cruz, who announced the news with Carnegie Institution colleague Paul Butler at a Wednesday news briefing at the Washington, D.C., headquarters of the National Science Foundation, which funded the work.

"It may well be like Earth, where you could walk around comfortably and look out at the stars," said Vogt, 60, of Aptos.

Scientists say there is no evidence that Gliese 581g holds oxygenated landscapes of green and blue that would support microbes, dinosaurs or some alien-looking pre-human. For life, there must be water, and there's no proof of that. Yet.

But Earth is unlikely to be some stupendous fluke that happened just once, said Vogt.

"Places like Earth may not be very special," he said.

The findings result from 11 years of observations at the W.M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii, where old-fashioned telescopes and advanced math are leading the exoplanet search.

Five times a year, Vogt flew from San Francisco to the Hawaiian city of Kona, then drove an hour to a tiny hotel in the northern town of Waimea, where he joined a number of other astronomers. The team slept all morning, then rose at midafternoon to start work. They didn't stop working until dawn, when it was time for breakfast.

The team used a technique known as the "wiggle" method, which detected planets by a slight gravitational tug they gave their star. They also made precise brightness measurements, verifying that the wobble was caused by the planet and not by a process within the star itself.

The team's new findings were reported in a paper published in The Astrophysical Journal,

"This is the first one I'm truly excited about," Penn State University astrobiologist Jim Kasting said. Not involved in the research, Kasting, a world leader in planetary habitability who works closely with NASA, speculated to The Associated Press that the planet is a "pretty prime candidate" for harboring life.

This is only the ninth of 116 star systems to be explored. There are many more -- astronomers estimate the universe contains about 1 septillion stars (a one with 24 zeros), a portion of which hold their own system of planets. The Milky Way alone is believed to have 100 billion to 200 billion stars.

So billions, perhaps trillions, of planets could be out in space, waiting to be discovered. Many of them are likely to circle in a habitable range, Vogt said.

Until now, only planets with tighter, faster and hotter orbits have been found.

The new planet is different. (Rather than use its scientific name, Vogt calls it Zarmina, in honor of his Kabul-born wife, an English instructor at Cabrillo College. "It's a beautiful planet … and I'm a lucky guy," he said.)

It is virtually our next-door neighbor, in cosmic terms. It circles a dim red star called Gliese 581 that's only 20 light-years away.

But don't cash in your frequent flier miles yet -- at the current speed of space travel, it would take tens of thousands of years to get there.

Wind gusts don't seem to exceed 40 miles per hour. While breezy, it's tolerable.

It doesn't spin. Fixated on its star, one side is always torrid and the other is frigid.

However, in between the hot and cold zones is a temperate region that is downright comfy -- and perhaps hospitable enough for organic chemistry to take place, building the simple amino acids that are the foundation of life.

"Not spinning -- that's actually a huge advantage" for potential life, Vogt said. "You could evolve on the hot side, like a desert lizard. Or you could evolve on the cold side, like a polar bear. Between the two, you could move around, wearing shirt sleeves."

Although it's unknown whether water exists on the planet, it is at the right distance from its star to potentially harbor it.

However, because there's the potential for water, and because all sorts of extreme life can exist where there is water, Vogt believes "that chances for life on this planet are 100 percent."

In its dusky light, it would always feel like The Twilight Zone -- or dawn, depending on your perspective. The sky is likely white, not blue.

It is probably a rocky place, just a bit bigger than Earth. With three times our mass, any visitor would feel a bit heavier -- but it would be possible to walk upright and not float away, Vogt said.

It has just enough gravity to hold onto its atmosphere, although the composition is still unknown.

Its 37-day orbit is ideal, Vogt said. It's not so close to its star that it gets sucked in, any life exploding into a puff of plasma. Nor is it so far away that it drifts into space, where atoms quit vibrating due to cold.

To learn more, Vogt said it might be possible to send a robotic probe to the planet using an experimental nuclear propulsion system.

"You would be able to get close-up pictures and a sense of what kind of atmosphere was there, and radio communications, that sort of thing," he said.

We could get there in 220 years, he said, "if we started now."

newyearsrevolution08
09-30-2010, 03:00 AM
that is totally cool

man only 200+ years

I am so gunna go there

now just to figure out how to live that damn long.

BuddyRey
09-30-2010, 03:24 AM
that is totally cool

man only 200+ years

I am so gunna go there

now just to figure out how to live that damn long.

Since we're already getting on a futurist kick in this thread, there is an acclaimed geneticist who recently surmised, perhaps somewhat prematurely, that because of advances in stem cell research, organ cloning, and bio-mechanical technology, the first human beings who will live to the age of one-thousand may have already been born.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/4003063.stm

newyearsrevolution08
09-30-2010, 03:34 AM
Since we're already getting on a futurist kick in this thread, there is an acclaimed geneticist who recently surmised, perhaps somewhat prematurely, that because of advances in stem cell research, organ cloning, and bio-mechanical technology, the first human beings who will live to the age of one-thousand may have already been born.

that is sweet, so I might be able to make that trip to that other planet in my lifetime. Hope they have a shot form, gunna check ebay maybe its there already.

I wonder how many people would rather die than live 1k years. I guess if you body kept aging it wouldn't be worth it. I mean our current 80 year olds look pretty damn old. Imagine 1k year old grandpas bitching about when their grandpa's grandpa's grandpa's son was a young 247 year old but only had 30 children. I mean he's 247 for gods sake, you need more kids!

woah, I trailed off for a second

hold on...

better

wait

maybe not....

I love prop 215

tangent4ronpaul
09-30-2010, 10:01 AM
cryogenics?

-t

Andrew-Austin
09-30-2010, 11:15 AM
"Not spinning -- that's actually a huge advantage" for potential life, Vogt said. "You could evolve on the hot side, like a desert lizard. Or you could evolve on the cold side, like a polar bear. Between the two, you could move around, wearing shirt sleeves."

More consistent weather! Sounds nice.

The water problem is just a minor complication, we can send water comets there like they do in Mass Effect.

BuddyRey is offline Add to BuddyRey's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

They better figure that shit out in ten years while I'm still young.

torchbearer
09-30-2010, 11:19 AM
time travel into the future is a reality. libertarians just need to buy a shit load of gold and time travel to the future.

Liberty4life
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM

The people will never have this privilege.

They have had life extending medications for thousands of years.
Funny how the people never knew about it..

pcosmar
09-30-2010, 11:45 AM
With a Photon Drive ship (modified solar sail) you could be there in 40 to 50 years. ;)

Then find out that the speculation was wrong and it is uninhabitable. Whoops.

mikey
09-30-2010, 11:51 AM
http://www.marith.demon.co.uk/graphics/startrek/picard.gif
"Helm, set course for Gliese 581g and engage at maximum warp!"

Liberty4life
09-30-2010, 11:59 AM
With a Photon Drive ship (modified solar sail) you could be there in 40 to 50 years. ;)

Then find out that the speculation was wrong and it is uninhabitable. Whoops.

I'd like to her more details about his kind of ship..

TheBlackPeterSchiff
09-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Make it so number one

erowe1
09-30-2010, 02:21 PM
time travel into the future is a reality. libertarians just need to buy a shit load of gold and time travel to the future.

I'm progressing into the future even as I type this!

Yippee!

erowe1
09-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Scientists say there is no evidence that Gliese 581g holds oxygenated landscapes of green and blue that would support microbes, dinosaurs or some alien-looking pre-human. For life, there must be water, and there's no proof of that. Yet.
However, because there's the potential for water, and because all sorts of extreme life can exist where there is water, Vogt believes "that chances for life on this planet are 100 percent."...

That 100-percent quote contradicts what he said about there being no proof of water. Something tells me the reporter got something wrong in that line.

kahless
09-30-2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200303/ent-032-klingon-marauders/320x240.jpg

We will be waiting for you.

fisharmor
09-30-2010, 02:46 PM
That 100-percent quote contradicts what he said about there being no proof of water. Something tells me the reporter got something wrong in that line.

Nope, it's on Wikipedia and several other news outlets at this point.
Just some "scientist" enjoying his 15 minutes of fame.

erowe1
09-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Nope, it's on Wikipedia and several other news outlets at this point.
Just some "scientist" enjoying his 15 minutes of fame.

Where did wikipedia and those news outlets get that quote?

Edit: I googled the 100-percent quote and found an AP article with the exact same quote. Both it and this LA Times one begin the quote mid-sentence. I'd like to see what he actually said in context. The way the sentence began, such as if it began with the word "if," could make all the difference.

I'm guessing it's from this press briefing. But it's over an hour long, and I don't have time to watch and find where that line comes from.
http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_videos.jsp?cntn_id=117765&media_id=68454&org=NSF

Edit 2: I'm listening to the press briefing in the background, and I'm surprised how much of the time they spend talking about their funding (mainly taxpayers via NSF) and their cheering on hopes for more taxpayer funding for more searching for extraterrestrial life. I've noticed that before with space exploration related stuff. They use sensationalized stories about the possibility of life on other planets as a way to encourage more taxpayer funding. So far the record of these hyped up stories actually panning out when you check back up on them a few years later is zero I think.

Edit 3: Sure enough. Vogt did say that right at 42:30 in that video. The other guy hedged himself much more in his answer. And again at ~45:00 another question about the hope of another taxpayer funded "terrestrial planet finder" program.

torchbearer
09-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm progressing into the future even as I type this!

Yippee!

In all seriousness, travel into the future was proven by GPS satelites in orbit around earth. they are traveling into the future at a minute rate faster than we are on the surface. their clocks have a software adjustment to reset the time so that the system stays on track.
also, you have gravity time dilation which is another method for traveling into the future, which is more like, reducing the time stream you are in so that time goes by slower around you allowing you to travel into the future by not aging at the same rate as atoms outside the gravity time dilation.

Time does not flow evenly among all space, but is slowed by gravity.

erowe1
09-30-2010, 04:32 PM
In all seriousness, travel into the future was proven by GPS satelites in orbit around earth. they are traveling into the future at a minute rate faster than we are on the surface. their clocks have a software adjustment to reset the time so that the system stays on track.
also, you have gravity time dilation which is another method for traveling into the future, which is more like, reducing the time stream you are in so that time goes by slower around you allowing you to travel into the future by not aging at the same rate as atoms outside the gravity time dilation.

I was being serious. Of course you can time travel into the future. We all do it constantly. In fact, we can't not do it. That's the essence of time.

It looks like what you're talking about is the fact that time is relative, which is also true. All things in the universe move forward in time. They don't all do it at the same speed in comparison to one another. That news is about a century old.

torchbearer
09-30-2010, 04:33 PM
I was being serious. Of course you can time travel into the future. We all do it constantly. In fact, we can't not do it. That's the essence of time.

It looks like what you're talking about is the fact that time is relative, which is also true. All things in the universe move forward in time. They don't all do it at the same speed in comparison to one another. That news is about a century old.

but it will also allow us to travel great distance without much of an aging factor if we can travel fast enough.

erowe1
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
but it will also allow us to travel great distance without much of an aging factor if we can travel fast enough.

That's theoretically true. But we have to travel much closer to the speed of light than we are presently capable of, if I understand correctly. In that press briefing the scientists were talking about the most reasonable scenario being one that involves unmanned flight at about 1/10 the speed of light, and that would still take 200 years. I think to reduce the aging factor significantly it would have to be much closer to the speed of light than that.

torchbearer
09-30-2010, 04:39 PM
That's theoretically true. But we have to travel much closer to the speed of light than we are presently capable of, if I understand correctly. In that press briefing the scientists were talking about the most reasonable scenario being one that involves unmanned flight at about 1/10 the speed of light, and that would still take 200 years. I think to reduce the aging factor significantly it would have to be much closer to the speed of light than that.

yeah, Hawking talks about time travel on earth using a really fast train:
YouTube - Stephen Hawking: Time Travel pt 4/5 (Discovery Channel Documentary April 2010) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU27S4wKnCM)

phill4paul
09-30-2010, 04:50 PM
All is revealed. torchbearer has actually progressed to the future. Made a mint in gold buys over the decades and has returned as the secret liberty billionaire! It all makes sense now.:D

torchbearer
09-30-2010, 04:53 PM
All is revealed. torchbearer has actually progressed to the future. Made a mint in gold buys over the decades and has returned as the secret liberty billionaire! It all makes sense now.:D

on the DL please. but yeah, buy gold. the austrian economist were right.
Ron Paul was president from 2012 to 2020 followed by 8 years of Rand.
the beginning of the american golden age that eventually led us to traveling to this other world, ran by neoconesque aliens who have kept it trapped in a virtual dark ages(until we made first contact- imagine that), just as we were during this period of time.
it is easier to laugh about it many years from now.

phill4paul
09-30-2010, 05:10 PM
on the DL please. but yeah, buy gold. the austrian economist were right.
Ron Paul was president from 2012 to 2020 followed by 8 years of Rand.
the beginning of the american golden age that eventually led us to traveling to this other world, ran by neoconesque aliens who have kept it trapped in a virtual dark ages(until we made first contact- imagine that), just as we were during this period of time.
it is easier to laugh about it many years from now.

Futures so bright I gotta wear :cool:.

BuddyRey
09-30-2010, 08:54 PM

OK, so this is a stupid question, but does that mean that Christopher Reeve flying around Earth at hyper-speed and turning back time in Superman I was (theoretically) possible?

torchbearer
09-30-2010, 11:06 PM
OK, so this is a stupid question, but does that mean that Christopher Reeve flying around Earth at hyper-speed and turning back time in Superman I was (theoretically) possible?

technically he could only travel forward in time. he could fly so fast that 7 days to him would equal 100 years to everyone else.