PDA

View Full Version : TSA sets up roadside checkpoint outside Atlanta GA

Anti Federalist
09-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Get used to this.

TSA long term plans indicate massive state border facilities to be built where you will be scanned and inspected to cross state lines on the road.

VIPER my aching ass.

Counter-Terror Operation Stops Trucks On I-20

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/25198651/detail.html

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Ga. -- A team of federal agents stopped tractor-trailers on Interstate 20 just west of Atlanta, inspecting each truck as it passed through a weigh station, and Channel 2 has learned its part of a counter-terrorism operation.

Channel 2's Linda Stouffer reported a flashing sign on the interstate directed the trucks to pull into a state-owned inspection station near Lee Road in Douglas County at the height of the evening commute.

Channel 2 Action News confirmed that agents from several federal agencies, including Homeland Security, the Department of Transportation, and the Transportation Security Administration were involved. The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office assisted in the exercise.

A TSA spokesman told Channel 2 the event is known as Visible Inter-mobile Prevention and Response, or VIPER, an operation that is conducted with local authorities as a training exercise. The TSA spokesman said the operation is not in response to a specific threat.

However, federal sources told Channel 2 investigative reporter Mark Winne the inspections are part of a counter-terrorism operation.

News Chopper 2 showed screening devices, dogs and a large drive-through bomb detection machine in use along the eastbound interstate near Lee Road.

Trucks were being sorted into two lines, one with more rigorous screening. Agents used a variety of devices to check the exteriors of the trailers, including a large drive-through machine similar to a security tool used at the Super Bowl, and a tool that measures radiation.

devil21
09-29-2010, 10:12 PM
How is this even close to constitutional??? I know they have more leeway with inspecting trucks for safety violations but x-ray bomb scanners (which see inside) and dogs used with NO reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed sounds like a gross 4th amendment violation.

You'll know the jig is up and it's almost martial law time when it's EVERYBODY being herded into this sort of checkpoint. I think it'll be sooner rather than later when they try it.

Matt Collins
09-30-2010, 12:53 AM
The good old "interstate commerce clause" abuse again.

Reason
09-30-2010, 01:34 AM
Get used to this.

TSA long term plans indicate massive state border facilities to be built where you will be scanned and inspected to cross state lines on the road.

VIPER my aching ass.

Counter-Terror Operation Stops Trucks On I-20

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/25198651/detail.html (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/25198651/detail.html)

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Ga. -- A team of federal agents stopped tractor-trailers on Interstate 20 just west of Atlanta, inspecting each truck as it passed through a weigh station, and Channel 2 has learned its part of a counter-terrorism operation.

Channel 2's Linda Stouffer reported a flashing sign on the interstate directed the trucks to pull into a state-owned inspection station near Lee Road in Douglas County at the height of the evening commute.

Channel 2 Action News confirmed that agents from several federal agencies, including Homeland Security, the Department of Transportation, and the Transportation Security Administration were involved. The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office assisted in the exercise.

A TSA spokesman told Channel 2 the event is known as Visible Inter-mobile Prevention and Response, or VIPER, an operation that is conducted with local authorities as a training exercise. The TSA spokesman said the operation is not in response to a specific threat.

However, federal sources told Channel 2 investigative reporter Mark Winne the inspections are part of a counter-terrorism operation.

News Chopper 2 showed screening devices, dogs and a large drive-through bomb detection machine in use along the eastbound interstate near Lee Road.

Trucks were being sorted into two lines, one with more rigorous screening. Agents used a variety of devices to check the exteriors of the trailers, including a large drive-through machine similar to a security tool used at the Super Bowl, and a tool that measures radiation.

Notice anything else on the page of that article?

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz168/Reasoning/NewBitmapImage.jpg

cindy25
09-30-2010, 02:11 AM
trial balloon, to test the reactions

squarepusher
09-30-2010, 02:33 AM
and just when you thought you hated to fly ...

BuddyRey
09-30-2010, 03:18 AM
The good old "interstate commerce clause" abuse again.

Ditto. I can't even believe Jefferson, Madison and co. let the Federalists sneak that "timebomb of tyranny" into the Constitution.