PDA

View Full Version : Dallas, Texas: Libertarian or Neoconservative?

Howard_Roark
09-29-2010, 04:30 PM
For those who don't know, Dallas is THE modern GOP powerbase, the only major metro (http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/) that leans over 2/3 in donations to Republicans.

It wasn't an accident that George Bush is from Dallas (he lived there before and after his Presidency, Crawford was just to make him seem more country). Lists of top individual donors to the GOP are usually dominated by Dallas donors in the same way Democrat donors are really heavily from LA. Major Dallas companies like Exxon Mobil are also big time GOP donors.

I know Dallas is very religious and has a lot of huge churches. I also know it didn't even rank in the top 10 cities by size of Ron Paul meetup groups. So my question is, are the Republicans in Dallas more neconservative or libertarian?

jsu718
09-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Hmm... I don't know about GOP powerbase... it's pretty evenly split.

Presidental Elections D/R Dallas County
2008 57.5% 41.9%
2004 49.0% 50.4%
2000 44.9% 52.6%

City of Dallas D/R
2008 65% 35%
2004 57% 43%

Catholic churches are heavily hispanic and are also heavily democratic so churches don't have much to do with being Republican, and the numbers in Dallas proper have been pushing that way, up to 43% hispanic (and 23% black) vs 39%(and 21%) in the county now. Even most of the major businesses and donors don't actually live in Dallas but in one of the many suburbs. People in Dallas the city aren't the ones giving to the Republicans.

North of Dallas though I would still say because of the more Protestant influence you are going to find a ton of Neocons but not many libertarians, and by my own experience that definitely holds true. Even among those that are religious they are VERY strict minded as far as laws regarding behavior (I blame the Calvinist influence). But I could be wrong... I may have lived here my whole life but I am still young. ;)