PDA

View Full Version : "Conway takes aim at Paul on Medicare" contains context for quote in ad

sailingaway
09-28-2010, 06:28 PM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20100928&id=12094756

According to the article:

"Conway's campaign said it culled Paul's comments from a June 2009 appearance in Lexington. The clip could be viewed on a YouTube video of Paul addressing leaders of the Center-Right Coalition of Lexington. During his remarks, Paul referred to Medicare as "socialized medicine" but also said, "We can't just eliminate Medicare."

"But we have to figure out how to get more to a market-based system," Paul says during the clip. "It's counterintuitive to a lot of people, but you have to pay for things if you want prices to come down. So you really need higher deductibles. And the real answer to Medicare would be a $2,000 deductible, but try selling that one in an election."

Paul campaign manager Jesse Benton said that if elected, Paul would work to preserve Medicare for future generations."

So clearly Rand was saying he would NOT be pushing for a 2K deductible because it would never sell even though the economic theory worked. And the article quotes other ideas he had for medicare, which were drawn from a bipartisan Congressional committee which has been studying the issue and which will address the issue regardless of WHICH of Rand or Jack were in Congress. Rand is just the only one being honest about it.

Fozz
09-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Unfortunately this ad may end up being very effective.

sailingaway
09-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Unfortunately this ad may end up being very effective.

It may also end up getting yet another watchdog rating of 'false', as did the one on 'wanting non violent acts to not be illegal' etc... which would bring those watchdog determinations to four, making for a pretty good ad from Rand's side, just citing all the watchdog organizations saying Jack's ads are false.

Fozz
09-28-2010, 07:39 PM
It may also end up getting yet another watchdog rating of 'false', as did the one on 'wanting non violent acts to not be illegal' etc... which would bring those watchdog determinations to four, making for a pretty good ad from Rand's side, just citing all the watchdog organizations saying Jack's ads are false.

I hope so, but it would be hard for Rand to say that a $2K Medicare deductible is not his position when he clearly stated that it is, regardless of whether he's running on that position.

The fact that this position is politically damaging comes to show how parasitic so many Americans are.

sailingaway
09-28-2010, 09:03 PM
I hope so, but it would be hard for Rand to say that a $2K Medicare deductible is not his position when he clearly stated that it is, regardless of whether he's running on that position.

The fact that this position is politically damaging comes to show how parasitic so many Americans are.

I disagree, I think it is clear he was speaking in general terms, not about a well considered, specific proposal.