PDA

View Full Version : Obama Plans Backyard Chat With Des Moines Family

Bruno
09-28-2010, 08:13 AM
He flies in tonight. The backyard meeting is tomorrow.

http://www.kcci.com/politics/25186509/detail.html

DES MOINES, Iowa

President Barack Obama arrives in Des Moines on Tuesday night to talk with "regular" Iowans about the economy.

But he's not holding a big rally. Instead, he's planning to meet Wednesday in the back yard of a Des Moines home and visit with the homeowners and their neighbors. The plan is to talk about fixing the economy.

“He really is looking to talk to middle class working families in their neighborhoods, where they live, how does it feel, what's working, what do you need. He's really asking that real question,” said Iowa Democratic Party Chairperson Sue Dvorsky.

The exact location of the President’s visit has not been released.

The president is scheduled to arrive in Des Moines on Air Force One at 8 p.m.

Voters Unhappy With Obama

A Des Moines Register poll shows a slight majority of likely Iowa voters disapprove of President Barack Obama's performance.

The first-term Democrat is on a four-state tour of backyard visits, which includes Des Moines on Wednesday.

The Iowa Poll in Tuesday's newspaper shows 55 percent of likely voters in Iowa said they are dissatisfied with Obama. The rate is up from 50 percent since the poll measured approval for Obama in February.

Among all Iowa adults, Obama's disapproval was at 50 percent, up from 47 percent in February.

The telephone poll was conducted Sept. 19-22 by Selzer & Co. Inc. of Des Moines of 803 Iowa adults. It had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points. Questions asked of 550 likely voters have a margin of error of plus or minus 4.2 percentage points.

MelissaWV
09-28-2010, 09:18 AM
He may pretend he's just having a backyard chat, but you can rest assured the neighborhood will be well aware of who's on their street. The President doesn't just show up in a regular car, knock on your door, and ask if you two can sit on the porch and talk. For better or worse, there are security concerns and they manifest most prominently en route between where the President lands and where he winds up. I am sure there will be press, otherwise why on earth have such a simple chat. I don't mean it to sound snooty, but it's true from a practical standpoint: why go all that way, talk to "a voter" or two or even, let's say, a dozen? No, it only makes sense if you are then going to have coverage and hope Iowans consider you "one of the people" after the fact. The photographs/video are going to likely not show the herd of people behind the cameraman.

In some ways, rallies are better for all of this. Even speaking engagements at schools or small civic theaters are better, because they allow for more of the security headaches to be taken care of ahead of time, and the route can dictate the venue. This "chat" is going to necessitate inconveniencing people at their homes, but who cares, right? As long as the President looks good and seems like he cares.

Do you really think this "Des Moines Family" hasn't been screened to death to ensure they don't ask any "radical" questions? :(

HOLLYWOOD
09-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Sorry the Elitist Puppet can continue to spew the propaganda to his rigged lemmings, but below this is how it has transpired in 2 years. As far as the SS goes... security starts weeks, if not months ahead of time, with a slew of snipers throughout the area. Frankly I'm getting tired of the airport in flight delays because this aristocrat and/or his family decides to travel the country campaigning/press junkets.
FROM THIS:

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/_np/0363/6760363.jpg

TO THIS:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/08/18/gal.obama.0817i.gi.jpg

Bruno
09-28-2010, 09:25 AM
He may pretend he's just having a backyard chat, but you can rest assured the neighborhood will be well aware of who's on their street. The President doesn't just show up in a regular car, knock on your door, and ask if you two can sit on the porch and talk. For better or worse, there are security concerns and they manifest most prominently en route between where the President lands and where he winds up. I am sure there will be press, otherwise why on earth have such a simple chat. I don't mean it to sound snooty, but it's true from a practical standpoint: why go all that way, talk to "a voter" or two or even, let's say, a dozen? No, it only makes sense if you are then going to have coverage and hope Iowans consider you "one of the people" after the fact. The photographs/video are going to likely not show the herd of people behind the cameraman.

In some ways, rallies are better for all of this. Even speaking engagements at schools or small civic theaters are better, because they allow for more of the security headaches to be taken care of ahead of time, and the route can dictate the venue. This "chat" is going to necessitate inconveniencing people at their homes, but who cares, right? As long as the President looks good and seems like he cares.

Do you really think this "Des Moines Family" hasn't been screened to death to ensure they don't ask any "radical" questions? :(

I couldn't agree more. This will all end up in antecdotal lines that will sell his agenda.

Obama: "Like the middle-class family I talked to in Des Moines the other day, where the father is out of a job, and the family is struggling to makes ends meet and put food on the table..." (now pass my $xx Billion fill-in-the-blank Bill"

specsaregood
09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
The President doesn't just show up in a regular car, knock on your door, and ask if you two can sit on the porch and talk.

I'd have a lot more respect for him if he did.

Edit: in fact maybe Ron should consider trying that on his next trip to IA.

Or maybe even Rand in KY over the next few weeks.

Sola_Fide
09-28-2010, 09:44 AM
What a dunce.

FunkBuddha
09-28-2010, 09:59 AM

Why does he need a microphone for a backyard chat?

Bruno
09-28-2010, 10:01 AM
^ lol. Good question. Cicadas were too loud?

Wolverine302
09-28-2010, 10:17 AM
for the tv crew fools

Original_Intent
09-28-2010, 10:26 AM
What, no teleprompter? :eek: edgy

Bruno
09-28-2010, 12:07 PM
for the tv crew fools

we know that fool. but it looks ridiculous

Travlyr
09-28-2010, 12:09 PM

Is he doing the talking or is he doing the listening? :rolleyes:

Bruno
09-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Is he doing the talking or is he doing the listening? :rolleyes:

He typically lets someone ask a 1 minute question, then provides a 17 minute non-answer. That is his idea of listening.

invisible
09-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I'd have a lot more respect for him if he did.

Edit: in fact maybe Ron should consider trying that on his next trip to IA.

Or maybe even Rand in KY over the next few weeks.

Ron more or less did just that while campaigning in IA during 2007-8. He travelled by regular rental cars or privately owned vehicles. There was no platoon of SS agents surrounding him and keeping the public away, security detail was nothing more than a couple of local cops who kept their distance and never interfered with anything. At every event and appearance except for one where his time schedule was tight, he spent enough time (usually about an hour) to speak with anyone who wanted to talk with him, and was extremely accessible and approachable. Between all of the campaign events I attended in IA in 2007-8, I probably spent a total of two hours conversing with him. On caucus night, he personally attended the largest caucus gathering in the state, and spent hours just hanging around talking with whoever wanted to speak with him (it was very cool to meet and speak with Rand before his Senate run, as well as several other Paul family members who were also there). This seems to be about as close to knocking on someone's door as it gets for a Presidential candidate.

Bruno
09-29-2010, 10:25 AM
http://www.kcci.com/news/25202500/detail.html

DES MOINES, Iowa -- President Barack Obama is holding a listening meeting in the backyard of a Des Moines home on Wednesday.

Photos: Obama Visits Des Moines

Obama is here to talk about the nation's economy with close to 80 people in the backyard of Sandy and Jeff Hatfield-Clubb's home in the Beaverdale section of Des Moines.

Sandy Hatfield-Clubb is the Athletic Director at Drake University. Jeff Hatfield-Clubb teaches at the nearby Holy Trinity Elementary School. They have two school-aged children.

Obama talked about the challenges now facing the middle class from education to energy efficiency to health care.

"Our economy only works when people who are working hard, middle class, working folks have jobs," said Obama.

President Barack Obama says Republicans haven't been honest with the American people about the hard choices that need to be made in order to put the economy on a path toward long-term growth.

Speaking in Iowa, the site of his first victory in the presidential campaign, Obama said Republicans want to return to the same policies that led the country into the financial crisis. He singled out GOP support for tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, saying that extending those tax cuts would force the government to cut back on other services.

The president arrived at the Des Moines airport around 8:30 p.m. aboard Air Force One from Madison, Wis. He drove in a motorcade to a local restaurant, Baby Boomers, in the East Village section of Des Moines near the foot of the Iowa Statehouse.

Baby Boomers was a favorite of Barrack and Michelle Obama during the campaign for the Iowa caucuses in 2008. Their state campaign headquarters was also in the East Village.

The president attended a gathering at the restaurant and then left to spend the night at a hotel.

MelissaWV
09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
The children look bored to tears. Seriously.

amy31416
09-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Obama talked about the challenges now facing the middle class from education to energy efficiency to health care.

"Our economy only works when people who are working hard, middle class, working folks have jobs," said Obama.

Damn straight. Without us, there's no war, welfare, social security, corporate welfare, gov't pensions/benefits, people who are too busy to notice what politicians are doing....hmmm

President Barack Obama says Republicans haven't been honest with the American people about the hard choices that need to be made in order to put the economy on a path toward long-term growth.

Speaking in Iowa, the site of his first victory in the presidential campaign, Obama said Republicans want to return to the same policies that led the country into the financial crisis. He singled out GOP support for tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, saying that extending those tax cuts would force the government to cut back on other services.

Just the Republicans, Obama? Doubt that.

Go ahead and cut back on other services, let's start with Blackwater though, eh? Perhaps scale back on the services we keep offering the Afghanis, Iraqis and Pakistanis? How about we scale back on the services we offer the Egyptians and Israelis? Then we can start talking about the cushy retirements our corrupt officials are "entitled" to.

Wonder how much this little trek to Iowa cost us?

devil21
09-29-2010, 03:24 PM

Why does he need a microphone for a backyard chat?

Can anyone tell me where this picture came from? I don't mean "CNN" or whatever (I can read the link) but specifically where and when this pic was taken? Any accompanying story to it? Thanks!

Bruno
09-29-2010, 03:30 PM
The President is still speaking to the crowd assembled in the Clubb backyard.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:17:48 PM10:17 AM
Speaking about the economy, Obama said, "We're on the right track."
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:20:26 PM10:20 AM
The President is now taking questions from neighbors.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:24:29 PM10:24 AM
A woman in the crowd asked Obama about her son, who had campaigned for the President while a student at Simpson, but is now having a hard time finding a full-time job.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:25:38 PM10:25 AM
Obama said this economy is having an affect on an entire generation of young people. "I think this generation is smarter, more sophisticated than others."
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:26:46 PM10:26 AM

by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:28:37 PM10:28 AM
Another neighbor asked the President about spanding on foreign wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He asked when the nation could look forward to an end to spending on those wars.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:31:55 PM10:31 AM
The President spoke about his current foreign policy, and said the tough situation in Afghanistan will only improve when the people of that nation take control of their own security.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:34:31 PM10:34 AM
Another neighbor asked about the health care bill. Specifically, she spoke about current health care conditions in England, and wonders if Americans can expect the same kind of questionable conditions here.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:39:41 PM10:39 AM

by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:41:17 PM10:41 AM
The President mentioned that the current health care bill allows people to keep their current health insurance.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:42:13 PM10:42 AM

by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:43:35 PM10:43 AM
The same neighbor asked about health care and illegal immigrants receiving free health care.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:46:42 PM10:46 AM
The President said that is probably true, but it was important that as a nation we have compassion.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:47:56 PM10:47 AM
Another neighbor, who is a small business owner, expressed his concerns about the President's plan to end tax cuts for individuals earning more than $250,000, and the negative affect that would have on his business, his employees, and himself. He said government is "Strangling the engine that drives the economy". (edit: I heard on abcnews this guy went on for six min.)
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:55:18 PM10:55 AM

by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:56:09 PM10:56 AM
He said each 5% of extra taxes he faces as a business man, means one less employee he can have.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:56:47 PM10:56 AM
The President countered, saying he has passed 8 different bills reducing taxes for small businesses. He claimed that taxes for small business have gone down, not up, during his administration.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:57:50 PM10:57 AM

A small-business owner asks questions about taxes.

by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 3:59:08 PM10:59 AM

Obama responds.

by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:01:17 PM11:01 AM
Reminder: live video of the event is available on the homepage at KCCI.com.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:03:10 PM11:03 AM
View photos from the President's visit here: www.kcci.com
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:03:49 PM11:03 AM
Another neighbor, a social worker, asked about the poverty rate, which she said is now at 14%. She asked the President what he planned to do help 1 in 7 Americans who live in poverty.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:06:10 PM11:06 AM
The President said the two biggest things he could do to help were to improve small businesses, and to work to improve education.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:07:18 PM11:07 AM

A local pastor asked the President about unemployment. A member of his congregation had lost his job recently.

by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:12:56 PM11:12 AM
Obama said businesses are now making profits, but aren't making any investments in new jobs. He went on to say that many manufacturing jobs have been shipped overseas.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:15:22 PM11:15 AM

by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:15:34 PM11:15 AM
The President said clean energy is part of the good news in this economy. He touted wind energy development as an example of job growth.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:17:16 PM11:17 AM
He went on to mention advances in hybrid electric cars and car batteries now being manufactured in the U.S. He said American-made batteries will soon capture 40% of the electric car battery market.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:19:35 PM11:19 AM
The President is wrapping up the backyard talk on the economy and thanking neighbors for their time. "We've been through tough times before, and we're going to get through these times," said Obama.
by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:21:21 PM11:21 AM

by Jeremy A Moser at 9/29/2010 4:22:18 PM11:22 AM

The President is now headed back to the Des Moines International Airport where he will head to Virginia for an event very similar to this.

Bruno
09-30-2010, 06:49 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704116004575521901674416306.html

DES MOINES, Iowa—President Barack Obama, meeting swing-state voters in a leafy backyard, struggled again Wednesday to answer the concerns of supporters once buoyed by the excitement of the presidential campaign, but now demoralized by economic struggle.

Mary Stier—attending the president's second of three small "town hall" meetings on a four-state swing this week—told the president of her 24-year-old son, who "campaigned fiercely" for Mr. Obama in 2008, graduated from Simpson College a year and a half ago and still is "struggling to find a job."

"They are losing their hope," she said in the backyard of Jeff Clubb, a social studies and religion teacher at a Des Moines Catholic school, and Sandy Clubb, the athletic director of Drake University.

The question, and the president's long answer about the depths of the Great Recession, mirrored the exchange Mr. Obama had last week with Velma Hart, a supporter who told him she was "exhausted" from defending him. Coming the morning after an ebullient political rally in Madison, Wis., it underscored the difficulty Democrats are having mobilizing the voters that propelled them to victory in 2008.

In the Wednesday session, a small businessman pressed the president to extend tax cuts for households and small businesses that earn more than $250,000.

"As the government gets more and more involved in business and more involved in taxes to pay for an awful lot of programs...you're sort of strangling the engine that does create the jobs," he said.

One woman questioned whether the Obama health-care plan would send the U.S. health-care system into a British-style system of rationing and delays. A man asked when the president would end costly wars abroad. Criticized over illegal immigrants getting health care, the president said, "It is very important that we have compassion as part of our national character."

The president was pushed on the defensive, and said, Americans don't want tax increases totaling $700 billion but also complain that the country's budget deficit is too high.