PDA

View Full Version : SF Chronicle: No endorsement in U.S. Senate race

JacobG18
09-28-2010, 07:52 AM
No endorsement in U.S. Senate race

San Francisco Chronicle
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Excerpt:

Californians are left with a deeply unsatisfying choice for the U.S. Senate this year. The incumbent, Democrat Barbara Boxer, has failed to distinguish herself during her 18 years in office. There is no reason to believe that another six-year term would bring anything but more of the same uninspired representation. The challenger, Republican Carly Fiorina,has campaigned with a vigor and directness that suggests she could be effective in Washington - but for an agenda that would undermine this nation's need to move forward on addressing serious issues such as climate change, health care and immigration.

It is extremely rare that this editorial page would offer no recommendation on any race, particularly one of this importance. This is one necessary exception.

Boxer, first elected in 1992, would not rate on anyone's list of most influential senators. Her most famous moments on Capitol Hill have not been ones of legislative accomplishment, but of delivering partisan shots. Although she is chair of the Environment and Public Works Committee, it is telling that leadership on the most pressing issue before it - climate change - was shifted to Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., because the bill had become so polarized under her wing.

For some Californians, Boxer's reliably liberal voting record may be reason enough to give her another six years in office. But we believe Californians deserve more than a usually correct vote on issues they care about. They deserve a senator who is accessible, effective and willing and able to reach across party lines to achieve progress on the great issues of our times. Boxer falls short on those counts.

Boxer's campaign, playing to resentment over Fiorina's wealth, is not only an example of the personalized pettiness that has infected too much of modern politics, it is also a clear sign of desperation.

In past elections, Boxer has had the good fortune of having Republican opponents who were inept, underfunded, on the fringe right - or combinations thereof. Her opponent this time, Fiorina, is proving to be articulate, well-funded and formidable.

Unfortunately for Californians who are eager for change, Fiorina has firmly staked out positions that are outside of the state's mainstream values and even its economic interest. The list only begins with her openness to offshore oil drilling, her opposition to the Roe vs. Wade abortion rights ruling and her unwillingness to support even the most commonsense gun-control measures to keep assault weapons off the street or to deny guns to suspected terrorists on the federal "no fly list."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/article?f=/c/a/2010/09/25/EDCL1F4PRK.DTL#ixzz10kFbohvc

specsaregood
09-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Have they weighed in yet on the Dennis vs. Pelosi race?

Aratus
09-28-2010, 10:02 AM
connecticut has mcmahon pulling even to blumenthal,
if john dennis likewise pulls close to pelosi, will the paper
make a major announcement? they may eventually take a side.

libertarian4321
09-28-2010, 11:02 AM

Hell will freeze over before that happens, so why speculate?

I hate to have to keep saying this, but Pelosi is not feeling any pressure from John Dennis- she's Gerrymandered into a job for life.

Promontorium
09-28-2010, 11:03 AM
connecticut has mcmahon pulling even to blumenthal,

What does Connecticut have to do with this?

specsaregood
09-28-2010, 11:07 AM
What does Connecticut have to do with this?

CT is a blue state in which a republican is threatening to upset.

Aratus
09-28-2010, 11:10 AM
did you know charlie baker has pulled to within one point in the massachusetts governor's race?
(even though there are four people on the upcoming ballot?) i'm seeing four seperate races
in normally secure Democratic strongholds becoming something almost fifty/fifty recently...

Promontorium
09-28-2010, 11:10 AM
God damn I hate gun grabbers.

"Assault rifles" are already illegal here, how much more "control" can you impose? Also that "no fly list gun ban" was absolutely the stupidest thing I've ever heard from gun-grabbers, as Fiornia clearly pointed out in the debate, the "no fly list" doesn't have shit to do with actual criminals, it's flagrantly unconstitutional to deny people rights because some agency puts you on a list, what the fuxk happened to "due process"? I posted about that issue (with 0 replies) right after the debate, Boxer's response to the question was so irrelevant that I thought the question wasn't even taken seriously. Boxer actually answered the question"should people on no fly list be allowed to own guns?" by replying that only pilots and air marshalls should be allowed to take guns on planes.

Promontorium
09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
CT is a blue state in which a republican is threatening to upset.

And? Boxer isn't losing, and this article isn't even about who may or may not win.

I like turtles.

Aratus
09-28-2010, 11:12 AM
baker is the GOP guy...
deval patrick (D) wants
to be re-elected sooo bad!

specsaregood
09-28-2010, 11:15 AM
And? Boxer isn't losing, and this article isn't even about who may or may not win.

Yeah, it wasn't my point/comment, but that is what I took from it.

I like turtles.

Michaelangelo was my favorite.

Aratus
09-28-2010, 11:21 AM
i'm saying that ole san francisco is about to do what connecticut is doing right now...
i said i do EXPECT john dennis to at least come within 5% to 10% of ms. nancy pelosi!

libertarian4321
09-28-2010, 11:26 AM
i'm saying that ole san francisco is about to do what connecticut is doing right now...
i said i do EXPECT john dennis to at least come within 5% to 10% of ms. nancy pelosi!

I should point out that Nancy Pelosi's congressional district is FAR more liberal than the entire state of Connecticut.

Promontorium
09-28-2010, 11:30 AM

I'm saying there are already other threads for that. Pelosi and Dennis are at least in the same state, but still it's not on topic. I'm only pointing this out because those elections got their own forums, and we can't even have 1 thread about Boxer and Fiorina?

Aratus
09-28-2010, 11:40 AM
what if someone has a Jerry Brown and CEO Whitman thread also being open to Boxer's
Fiorina's bout also impacting in a big way? Jerry Brown evidently had been close to the CEO
who has over-spent herself outrageously!!! in part because of his frugal one million spent
as opposed to her 100 million, he's starting to slide in the polls. there could be a GOP and
TEA PARTY romp looming. even a 10 percent margin between mr. dennis and ms. pelosi is
part of the big picture. i'm seeing trends in california being like what i see in new england...

Fredom101
09-28-2010, 11:51 AM
No endorsement in U.S. Senate race

San Francisco Chronicle
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Excerpt:

Californians are left with a deeply unsatisfying choice for the U.S. Senate this year. The incumbent, Democrat Barbara Boxer, has failed to distinguish herself during her 18 years in office. There is no reason to believe that another six-year term would bring anything but more of the same uninspired representation. The challenger, Republican Carly Fiorina,has campaigned with a vigor and directness that suggests she could be effective in Washington - but for an agenda that would undermine this nation's need to move forward on addressing serious issues such as climate change, health care and immigration.

It is extremely rare that this editorial page would offer no recommendation on any race, particularly one of this importance. This is one necessary exception.

Boxer, first elected in 1992, would not rate on anyone's list of most influential senators. Her most famous moments on Capitol Hill have not been ones of legislative accomplishment, but of delivering partisan shots. Although she is chair of the Environment and Public Works Committee, it is telling that leadership on the most pressing issue before it - climate change - was shifted to Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., because the bill had become so polarized under her wing.

For some Californians, Boxer's reliably liberal voting record may be reason enough to give her another six years in office. But we believe Californians deserve more than a usually correct vote on issues they care about. They deserve a senator who is accessible, effective and willing and able to reach across party lines to achieve progress on the great issues of our times. Boxer falls short on those counts.

Boxer's campaign, playing to resentment over Fiorina's wealth, is not only an example of the personalized pettiness that has infected too much of modern politics, it is also a clear sign of desperation.

In past elections, Boxer has had the good fortune of having Republican opponents who were inept, underfunded, on the fringe right - or combinations thereof. Her opponent this time, Fiorina, is proving to be articulate, well-funded and formidable.

Unfortunately for Californians who are eager for change, Fiorina has firmly staked out positions that are outside of the state's mainstream values and even its economic interest. The list only begins with her openness to offshore oil drilling, her opposition to the Roe vs. Wade abortion rights ruling and her unwillingness to support even the most commonsense gun-control measures to keep assault weapons off the street or to deny guns to suspected terrorists on the federal "no fly list."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article/article?f=/c/a/2010/09/25/EDCL1F4PRK.DTL#ixzz10kFbohvc

Why is a NEWSPAPER's opinion at all relevant these days?

Brian4Liberty
09-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but this is precisely why Fiorina was an idiotic choice in the Primary. Boxer is killing Fiorina in California with this ad. It was predictable. Fiorina will probably not win. Boxer is such a pushover that even the Democrat machine can't support her, although the fact that the media is also an Oligarch machine and Fiorina is fully supported by them may have something to do with them not taking a side.

Imagine this race if Chuck DeVore were the GOP candidate and he was riding the Tea Party wave right now (getting publicity along with Rand, Angle, Lee, McDonnell, Buck, Rubio, etc). Boxer would be in serious trouble right now.

YouTube - Outsourcing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2lDIHyqo7Q)

Maximus
09-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Boxer is hitting Fiorina hard, I've seen that ad a good 10-15x in the last week or so

Brian4Liberty
09-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Boxer is hitting Fiorina hard, I've seen that ad a good 10-15x in the last week or so

Yeah, it's in heavy rotation, and people are talking:

"I forgot she was such a scumbag."
"I never knew she got rid of all those jobs".

oyarde
09-28-2010, 02:34 PM

I like turtles.

Who does not like turtles . :)

oyarde
09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Why is a NEWSPAPER's opinion at all relevant these days?

Especially a San Francisco , Sacramento , Seattle ,New York , Boston type rag .

Aratus
09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
the L.A times practically built L.A up from nothing
between the years 1900 and 1950. CITIZEN KANE
is Orson Welles's controversial take on WILLIAM
RANDOLPH HEARST. our Revolution was also a war
of the presses and pamphlets. newspapers exposed
the corruption of the Tweed Ring. the Washington Post
took on Richard Milhous Nixon's Watergate evasions...