PDA

View Full Version : Zionism...

QWE
10-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Another thread made me think about this again...

I have a question I've been meaning to ask someone (but afraid I would offend some of my Zionist friends [and yes they are RP supporters for the most part!]):
Why Israel? I honestly don't get it at all. Why make a homeland in a region that wants to kill you? Why have a "Jewish homeland"? Isn't that collectivist/nationalist attitude the same that modern-day "moderate" KKK members endorse for America (they want a "White homeland")? Why have a Jewish state at all? I know it's nowhere as extreme as any of the muslim states around it, but why relate a religion/ethnicity to a government like that?

Also, I've been told "you don't need to endorse Israel's actions, you just need to believe in it's basic right to exist". What right does it have to exist?

I have a very limited understanding of this topic (I think), but wasn't the land owned by England? What right did they have to own it/give it away? To what extent are the complaints of the Palestinians correct (they claim they were kicked out of their homes, invaded, cut off, put in camps, attacked by Israelis and jewish terrorist organizations, etc etc)?

I just have a hard time agreeing with either side of the Arab/Israeli conflict. I think they're both wrong in different ways. Sorry for all the questions, but since I know there are people from many backgrounds here who are all logical, I thought this would be a good place to ask. I know Zionists who support Ron Paul and I know supporters of Palestine who like Ron Paul too... All I know is that we shouldn't be giving as much money as we do to Israel (or any country without a good reason!).

QWE
10-18-2007, 09:21 PM
No takers? heh... maybe I've asked a bit too much.