PDA

View Full Version : End internet anonymity to end online racism?

JustinTime
09-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Hell no, I say.

The government should have absolutely no say in it. If ISP's and website owners want craft their own policy thats fine, but there should be no blanket, government enforced end to internet anonymity.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/25/racist-messages-pose-problem-mainstream-sites/

This, and other boogeymen, like 'terrorism' and 'cyberbullying', are, IMO designed to soften us up for the big internet crackdown. Even if you detest racism, terrorism and cyberbullies, stand your ground, dont let government dictate how the internet will work.

Danke
09-26-2010, 04:33 PM
The government should have absolutely (no) say in it.

Right?

JamalianTheory
09-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Hell no, I say.

The government should have absolutely say in it. If ISP's and website owners want craft their own policy thats fine, but there should be no blanket, government enforced end to internet anonymity.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/25/racist-messages-pose-problem-mainstream-sites/

This, and other boogeyman, like 'terrorism' and 'cyberbullying', are, IMO designed to soften us up for the big internet crackdown. Even if you destest racism, terrorism and cyberbullies, stand your ground, dont let government dictate how the internet will work.

Well if they dictate how the internet will be regulated then they will define what is racism. Any discussion about race that is not politically correct will be marked as racism.

I don't know about yall, but I loves me some racist jokes every once in a while.

Stary Hickory
09-26-2010, 06:57 PM
The US government is one of the most racist entities in the world this is hilarious. Any excuse to gain more control over people. Methinks thge establishment sees the internet as a threat to it's propaganda machine.

This has nothing to do with racism and everything with trying desperately to find a way to silence the millions of voices of dissent on the Internets.

JustinTime
09-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Well if they dictate how the internet will be regulated then they will define what is racism. Any discussion about race that is not politically correct will be marked as racism.

I don't know about yall, but I loves me some racist jokes every once in a while.

From what I could glean from the article, nothing will happen to internet 'racists', its just an excuse to ID everybody in some way, which they can already do if they get a warrant. In other words, no warrants.

newyearsrevolution08
09-26-2010, 07:16 PM
heres a though why not have something where a PARENT could put a filter on words

they can pick what words and if it is on the screen it could be simple as

sh*t

tada

but the funny thing is the racism free speech shit is laughable. if people are worried about what their kids read or see online then BE A PARENT AND DEAL WITH IT instead of blaming some website for your kid becoming a racist asshole.

take ownership for YOU and your kids and stop blaming everyone else for your downfall.

if someone sees some crazy racist stuff online and gets swept up in it then either they are for it (their right) or they are easily pushed around from idea to idea (fence walker) which is fine as well.

they will soon have some othert b.s. reason to try and regulate the net especially if this doesn't work.

Stary Hickory
09-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Racism is just an excuse for more control. It's not the Governments job to dictate how we think or what we say. They had better figure that out.

Vessol
09-26-2010, 07:20 PM
From the song "Fuck the MPAA" by Futuristic Sex Robotz

"The internet is the only place that's still free, if you disagree, just wait and see"

BlackTerrel
09-26-2010, 08:54 PM
The comment section on YouTube is the most racist place on the planet... but it's not surprising since less than 1% of users actually post comments - it's not exactly representative.

I did not see in the article where they suggested ending internet anonymity because of it?

Carl Corey
09-26-2010, 08:56 PM
More often than not it's the truth that needs to be censored.

There are notable differences between the races, like there are notable differences between the genders. Rather than pointing out that you can't judge women, men, Asians, Africans, and Europeans on the group they belong to, the powers that be decided to oppress the truth and engage in 'affirmative action', next they wonder why racist and sexist attitudes persist.

Cowlesy
09-26-2010, 08:57 PM
The comment section on YouTube is the most racist place on the planet... but it's not surprising since less than 1% of users actually post comments - it's not exactly representative.

I did not see in the article where they suggested ending internet anonymity because of it?

hahahahaha yes it is, good lord it's bad on youtube.

brandon
09-26-2010, 09:00 PM
I can't understand why people are so afraid of "racism." First of all, most Americans, black and white, are racist to some degree. Second, how does someones personal opinion create so much trouble?

speciallyblend
09-26-2010, 09:02 PM
The US government is one of the most racist entities in the world this is hilarious. Any excuse to gain more control over people. Methinks thge establishment sees the internet as a threat to it's propaganda machine.

This has nothing to do with racism and everything with trying desperately to find a way to silence the millions of voices of dissent on the Internets.

thread winner^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

low preference guy
09-26-2010, 09:16 PM
End internet anonymity to end online racism?

whoever said that is a wacko

sailingaway
09-26-2010, 09:40 PM
No. Anonymity is privacy. And internet records are forever and increasingly looked at in background checks, including for employment, already. People need private lives, as well.

devil21
09-27-2010, 01:33 AM
I can't understand why people are so afraid of "racism." First of all, most Americans, black and white, are racist to some degree. Second, how does someones personal opinion create so much trouble?

Besides that, racism is protected as free speech under the First Amendment. It's once you act criminally (physically attack, eg) against someone that it is no longer protected. To attempt to censor racism is to violate the First Amendment.

Carl Corey
09-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Because racism (this meaning judging individuals based on their race) is a form of collectivism, then again, so is egalitarianism.

So while the 1st amendment rights of racists shouldn't be violated, it makes sense to speak out against an ideology that goes against libertarianism. The same goes for communism, Islam, and other ideologies that are largely incompatible with a free society.

The whole fight against racism has gone way overboard though, racial science is censored on a massive scale because the dumb masses might draw the wrong conclusions.

ChaosControl
09-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Well ya know, we can't let the last refuge of freedom to remain, it too must be crushed by the authoritarian fascists in DC.

raistlinkishtar
09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
We all know what this is. A government attempt to silence people.

youngbuck
09-27-2010, 01:22 PM

Yea, YouTube (and many other comment sections) are some of the most despicable places on the net. Just a collection of douche bags getting off on what they do best - be douche bags.

fisharmor
09-27-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm gonna visit 4chan later today just to get a solid dose of N-bombs posted by Anonymous. Not because I enjoy it, but only because the government wants to stop it.