PDA

View Full Version : Is Joe Miller a closet Libertarian?

lx43
09-24-2010, 11:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Miller_(Alaska_politician)

Should RP movement support him?

Institute spending reduction measures including: A balanced budget amendment: Congress would have to submit a balanced budget to the president for signature. Expenditures that exceed receipts would require a three-fifths majority. End off-budget expenditures: Receipts and disbursement from the Social Security Trust Funds, and general accounting for the Federal National Mortgage Association and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, would be included within the federal budget. Line-item veto: A Constitutional Amendment to authorize the president to veto specific spending items. Require that unspent and repaid TARP funds be used to reduce the deficit: All unspent and repaid funds would be required to be used to reduce the deficit and pay down the National Debt. No New Entitlements: Would institute a moratorium on the creation of new entitlements. Limit increases in government spending to the rate of inflation: The federal government would be required to cap spending to the rate of inflation plus the percentage of population growth. Hiring freeze for all non-essential government employees. Establish a Sunset Committee: This committee would scrutinize federal programs to determine if they are necessary and where they can be cut. Earmark Reform: Would place a moratorium on all earmarks until the budget is balanced, and then require a 2/3 majority to pass any earmark. Additionally, budget requests by members of Congress would be subject to the public hearings process.

Make Congressional Reforms including: Constitutional Authority—each bill would be required to specify the provision in the Constitution that gives to Congress the power to do what the bill does. Limitation of Scope—Each bill would pertain to only one issue. There would be no "Omnibus" bills. Neither would amendments be considered that do not pertain to the subject of the bill. Regular Order—Would reinstitute open rules for appropriations bills, allowing for unlimited amendments and debate.

Favors removing the federal government as the social security provider, and giving each of the states the authority to decide if they will provide social security type benefits and, if so, to oversee this role. “Longer term, there has got to be a move outside of that (federal social security) system. Ultimately we want to transfer the power back to the states so that states can take up the mantle of those programs if they so desire.”[19]

Eliminate the Department of Education[20]

Reduce American foreign aid[21]

Repeal the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.[21]

Opposes cuts to Medicare or Social Security benefits for current retirees.[21] He supports privatizing (or, as he says, "personalizing") Social Security and Medicare for younger workers.[22][23]

Refers to scientific evidence for Global warming as "dubious at best."[24][25]

Opposes abortion, including for rape and incest, and favors it "only when the mother's life is in danger."[26] He describes himself as pro-life, and defines the term life as the time "from the moment of conception to the time of natural death".[27]

Cut the budget of the National Endowment for the Arts [21]

Cut the budget of American funding for the United Nations[21]

Stary Hickory
09-25-2010, 12:02 AM
He is pretty good. True conservatives and libertarians have a lot in common, I doubt he is a full Libertarian but probably a true conservative.

Knightskye
09-25-2010, 12:04 AM
You'll notice that neither his Wikipedia page nor his campaign website mention foreign policy, war, "national security," or terrorism.

parocks
09-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Yes

Fozz
09-25-2010, 12:32 AM
We must work to take down Murshitski.

Knightskye
09-25-2010, 01:18 AM
We must work to take down Murshitski.

Unfortunately, there is no work to be done:
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/alaska/election_2010_alaska_senate

Miller wins easily in a three-way race.

Zatch
09-25-2010, 02:04 AM
Unfortunately, there is no work to be done:
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/alaska/election_2010_alaska_senate

Miller wins easily in a three-way race.

Does Alaska have runoffs?

nate895
09-25-2010, 02:44 AM

That's a Southern-thing. I am pretty certain no state outside of the South has runoffs, and I know Alaska doesn't.

malkusm
09-25-2010, 07:05 AM

Runoffs, unless I'm mistaken, are only for primaries. Even if Alaska was a runoff state, it would only apply to the primaries, and not the general elections.

FrankRep
09-25-2010, 07:09 AM
Joe Miller is more of a Constitutionalist.

malkusm
09-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to give my opinion of Joe Miller.

He'll be right alongside Rand as "top Senator," replacing DeMint/Coburn who currently hold the distinction.

Agorism
09-25-2010, 07:20 AM
I generally vote for republicans, but not always and I don't really have much emotional attachment to them.

If he wins great, but I'm more worried about helping Paul.

cindy25
09-25-2010, 07:23 AM
he has potential

klamath
09-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Runoffs, unless I'm mistaken, are only for primaries. Even if Alaska was a runoff state, it would only apply to the primaries, and not the general elections.Some states have general election runoffs. LA is one.

wormyguy
09-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Miller has actually made antiwar statements in the past, and he's in favor of cutting government spending across the board, including military spending. I doubt he's a libertarian, but he's definitely a constitutionalist, which is just about as good. I think he'll be up there with Rand as one of our top senators this cycle, and Buck and Lee may too. I think Angle may also be a closet constitutionalist, given her prior CP affiliation and her 20/20 on the C4L survey.

lx43
09-25-2010, 12:05 PM
I definately hope he gets elected over Murkowskiw

james1906
09-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Some states have general election runoffs. LA is one.

Georgia does, the LP candidate often forces one.

Son of Detroit
09-25-2010, 12:33 PM
He'd form a nice trio with Rand/Dioguardi.

trey4sports
09-25-2010, 12:46 PM
I wonder what his position on the war on drugs is?

angelatc
09-25-2010, 01:02 PM
I generally vote for republicans, but not always and I don't really have much emotional attachment to them.

If he wins great, but I'm more worried about helping Paul.

I would think that sending in reinforcements counts as helping Paul.

Today is National Denounce Lisa Murkowski Day! (http://redstateeclectic.typepad.com/redstate_commentary/2010/09/saturday-is-national-denounce-lisa-murkowski-day.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RedstateeclecticCommentary+%2 8RedStateEclectic+Commentary%29)

MRoCkEd
09-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Joe was just on Greta. Sounded pretty good - talked about returning things like unemployment insurance to the states.

He was asked about foreign policy and said we are spread too thin and we need to avoid the nation building and instead put a laser focus on the threats, eliminate them, and come home.

ChickenHawk
09-29-2010, 09:22 PM
I liked what Murkowski said about him the other day. She basically said that there is a bunch of unconstitutional things that the federal government does that are important to Alaska so Alaska can't afford to elect a senator that promises to follow the constitution.

Brett85
09-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Joe was just on Greta. Sounded pretty good - talked about returning things like unemployment insurance to the states.

He was asked about foreign policy and said we are spread too thin and we need to avoid the nation building and instead put a laser focus on the threats, eliminate them, and come home.

Is it on Youtube yet?

MRoCkEd
09-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Is it on Youtube yet?
Capitalist Banner posted the vid:
http://capitalistbanner.com/2010/09/29/joe-miller-too-many-decisions-being-made-at-the-federal-level/

Stary Hickory
09-29-2010, 10:03 PM
He sounds legit, I was all for taking out those responsible for 9/11...however I have enough sense to know the entire country of Afghanistan was not responsible for the attacks.

TheDriver
09-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Man, Joe sounds awesome!

I hope he turns out to be half as good as he sounds!

Fozz
09-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a foreign policy realist.....this guy is great.

We can't let Murcrapski win.

Fr3shjive
09-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Sounds like most conservatives who favor cutting the defense budget phrase it by saying they favor "cutting foreign aid". What ever works. Maybe we should start phrasing it that way. It'll certainly attract more neo-cons and once they're here we can show them that nation building isnt the way and it's unsustainable.

We've certainly influenced the Republican but by saying that we want to cut the defense budget it automatically turns off a large part of the Republican party but if we simply phrase it differently Im sure we can attract a lot more Republicans and give Ron Paul a serious shot at being president in 2012.

Its funny that Ron Paul is so uncompromising that he wouldn't even water down his message that much but that's also why I respect him.

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Sounds like most conservatives who favor cutting the defense budget phrase it by saying they favor "cutting foreign aid". What ever works. Maybe we should start phrasing it that way. It'll certainly attract more neo-cons and once they're here we can show them that nation building isnt the way and it's unsustainable.

We've certainly influenced the Republican but by saying that we want to cut the defense budget it automatically turns off a large part of the Republican party but if we simply phrase it differently Im sure we can attract a lot more Republicans and give Ron Paul a serious shot at being president in 2012.

Its funny that Ron Paul is so uncompromising that he wouldn't even water down his message that much but that's also why I respect him.

Can we cut domestic-aid (E.g. Welfare), also by closing down military bases here in the USA? After-all, it is one giant welfare subsidy to whatever municipality the base resides in at the expense of those without a base. Let me tell you also, the selection of the locations for the bases are not strategic -- it is political (Bribes, corruption, etc.).

I wonder how that would play in the GOP if we accurately described the Militaristic-parasitic welfarism. :p

Knightskye
09-30-2010, 12:46 AM
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4354412/road-to-midterms-joe-miller

Late in the interview, he criticizes nation-building, a couple times. Says it's not the job of the government to democratize countries.

He doesn't go as far as Judge Napolitano (for obvious reasons, I think), but it smells like a duck.

Koz
09-30-2010, 06:10 AM
I like everything on there except for cutting UN and NEA budgets, it should say eliminate those budgets.