PDA

View Full Version : Man gets arrested, spends three days in jail AFTER lab determines it was not coke.

Anti Federalist
09-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Man arrested after lawmen mistake heart medicine for cocaine

September 20, 2010 10:04 PM
Tom McLaughlin
Daily News

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/hands-33080-state-controlled.html

George Funti spent three days in jail for possession of a controlled substance he never possessed.

The arrest came more than a month after a state lab report clearing him of any wrongdoing had made its way back into the hands of the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office.

Funti said he felt like an animal as he was handcuffed and shackled and shuttled through first the Walton and then the Okaloosa County jails, and now he’s contemplating legal action.

“This was not a mistake, this was neglect,” he said. “Somebody just didn’t care to follow through with the paperwork to keep a man out of jail.”

Okaloosa County Sheriff Ed Spooner is working to get to the bottom of what happened. A couple of weeks ago he ordered an internal investigation into the matter.

Monday, Spooner looked over what Investigator Ron Gay had compiled thus far in the case.

“Based on what has been presented to me, we’re going to continue this investigation,” Spooner said Monday afternoon.

Funti’s brush with the law began Feb. 12 at the Bluewater Fitness and Wellness Center.

He was working out, the 65-year-old heart patient said, when a bottle of nitroglycerin he carries with him at all times fell out of his clothes.

A wellness center employee found the bottle sometime after Funti had left for his home in Freeport, and an Okaloosa County deputy who came in for a workout decided to field test the pills, which had dissolved into powder.

Deputy Stephen Reynolds wrote in his report that the bottle dropped by Funti appeared to be one that had “once contained nitroglycerin tablets and on this date contained a white powder substance.”

The white powder did test positive for cocaine.

Also working against Funti was the wellness center video camera, which Reynolds said in his report showed Funti kicking the bottle with the “white powder substance” away from him.

Funti said he’s nearsighted and doesn’t wear his glasses when he works out. He never saw the bottle after he dropped it, he said.

Unbeknownst to Funti, his nitroglycerin bottle was sent to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement lab for analysis and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Apparently, the FDLE was able to make a quick turnaround on the evidence sent in by the Sheriff’s Office and by March 9 had completed an analysis and determined that what Funti had in his pocket during his February workout had not been cocaine.

Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Michele Nicholson confirmed Monday that the FDLE report clearing Funti had arrived in Shalimar by March 24.

Funti said his son’s family was in town for its annual visit on April 22 when a couple of Walton County deputies showed up. He was cutting his grass, wearing shorts and flip flops, he said.

He said the cops told him a warrant had been issued for him for possession of illegal substances, and he showed them a whole basket of medicines he keeps.

The Walton deputies lighted up, Funti said, when they again found a nitroglycerin bottle in his pocket.

“They put handcuffs on me and took me in,” he said.

Funti said his medicine was taken from him at the Walton County Jail.

He said he lost 13 pounds because the food was so bad and he couldn’t sleep.

“It was hell — the noise, the screaming, the cussing,” he said.

Two days after he arrived in Walton County, Funti said he was shackled and sent to Okaloosa County.

“I still didn’t have no medication and I still didn’t know what they were charging me with,” he said.

Funti said he was finally made aware that he was being charged with possession of cocaine.

“I said, ‘Cocaine? You’ve got to be kidding me,’ ” he said.

Funti was finally released from custody and the charges against him dismissed. But, he said, the stigma remains.

“Two little girls from down the street came and told me their mother won’t let them speak to me anymore,” he said. “All of my neighbors are looking at me like I’m a criminal.”

Funti’s attorney, David Swanick of Powell and Swanick in Niceville, said Monday he has filed notice with the Sheriff’s Office of his client’s intention to file a claim.

Funti said he’s looking for reimbursement of his bond and the attorney’s fees he’s incurred, but also some reimbursement for the pain he’s suffered.

“I still dream at night about the experience,” he said. “I don’t want anybody else to go through that again.”

Spooner said the continuing internal investigation into the Funti case will seek further review of what took place and look for who, if anyone, was responsible for what took place.

“We’re looking at what could have been done to have a different outcome,” he said. “Were practices, rules and policies followed? And, if not, let’s pinpoint the issues and decide what to do to appropriately address the issues.”

Spooner said his initial review allowed him to “see issues that need looking at,” but he declined to say what those issues were.

He said no disciplinary action has been taken at this time. He was not able to provide a time frame for when the newest phase of the Funti investigation would be complete.

pcosmar
09-24-2010, 04:59 PM
But if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.

<echos>

Anti Federalist
09-24-2010, 05:04 PM
But if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.

<echos>

<crickets>

Rael
09-24-2010, 05:10 PM
This is unfortunate.

However, we have to remember the bigger picture here...we are trying to protect our children from drugs.

phill4paul
09-24-2010, 05:14 PM
and now he’s contemplating legal action.

Fucking contemplating?

Is that it?

Promontorium
09-25-2010, 03:29 AM
Fucking contemplating?

Is that it?

Might save him time and effort. If he can get a settlement offer
before he even calls a lawyer, he's done better than most.

phill4paul
09-25-2010, 05:47 AM
Might save him time and effort. If he can get a settlement offer
before he even calls a lawyer, he's done better than most.

My understanding is that settlements usually come with a STFU clause. I don't necessarily agree with someone taking that road unless there is a very large chance that he would not win. Better to get it out in front of the public.

Danke
09-25-2010, 06:02 AM
He was working out, the 65-year-old heart patient said, when a bottle of nitroglycerin he carries with him at all times fell out of his clothes.

A wellness center employee found the bottle sometime after Funti had left for his home in Freeport, and an Okaloosa County deputy who came in for a workout decided to field test the pills, which had dissolved into powder.

What an assshole!

roho76
09-25-2010, 07:18 AM
He should file a lawsuit against the wellness center for accessory to kidnapping.

pcosmar
09-25-2010, 08:57 AM
This is unfortunate.

However, we have to remember the bigger picture here...we are trying to protect our children from drugs.
:(
no you didn't

"it's for the children"

Where have I heard that mantra before.?

Oh yeah, EVERY TIME the stateists propose some unconstitutional bullshit.
:mad:

james1906
09-25-2010, 11:55 AM
What an assshole!

My thoughts exactly, what fucker snoops in someone's prescriptions and calls the cops on them?

Dr.3D
09-25-2010, 12:41 PM
My thoughts exactly, what fucker snoops in someone's prescriptions and calls the cops on them?

Really! What kind of a nut does stuff like that? I suppose in his mind, he was being a civic minded, patriot. Poor brainwashed mundane.

Brett85
09-25-2010, 12:56 PM
This is unfortunate.

It's always going to be illegal for children to use drugs. Try a different argument.

Kregisen
09-25-2010, 01:01 PM
This is unfortunate.

YouTube - It's Time To Legalize Marijuana! Judge Napolitano (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2GG2aM6UII)

go to 2:50

I worry if you get these drugs in the house, we see what happens with legal firearms that are in a house, they're not stored properly....kids get their hands on them....terrible, terrible tradegies take place, and I worry what happens when you start allowing people to have pot in their house"

Supreme court has addressed those very issues and has basically said to the government, you can't make something illegal for an adult just because it would be harmful for a child, otherwise we would all be living and acting like children. *smirk*

The biggest ownage on fox I've ever seen lol.

pcosmar
09-25-2010, 01:03 PM
It's always going to be illegal for children to use drugs. Try a different argument.

I was given aspirin, penicillin and codeine as a child, not to mention the alcohol in my moms beer.
Seems children do use drugs.

Have you seen any information on Ritalin?

surf
09-25-2010, 01:04 PM
:(
no you didn't

"it's for the children"

Where have I heard that mantra before.?

Oh yeah, EVERY TIME the stateists propose some unconstitutional bullshit.
:mad:

have we lost our sense of humor here?

btw - Bill Gates Sr. (yes, that Bill Gates' father) is pushing an income tax on high-earners here in WA State for... the children.

CCTelander
09-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Nobody actually believes that the INjustice system is actually there to provide for real justice, do they?

Nor that those working within that system actually give a rat's ass about guilt or innocence?

Nobody's still that naive, are they?

pcosmar
09-25-2010, 01:13 PM
have we lost our sense of humor here?

:D
I have a well developed sense of humor. (some things just ain't funny anymore)
I also have a well developed sense of smell.
I can tell when something stinks. ;)

youngbuck
09-25-2010, 01:18 PM

Remember, there are Stasi douche bags wherever you go.

Dr.3D
09-25-2010, 01:27 PM
:D
I have a well developed sense of humor. (some things just ain't funny anymore)
I also have a well developed sense of smell.
I can tell when something stinks. ;)

But pcosmar, "we have to do it for the children." :p

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-25-2010, 03:18 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/wbria0.jpg