PDA

View Full Version : RedState's Erick Erickson Eviscerates GOP's "Pledge To America"

MRoCkEd
09-23-2010, 07:35 AM
http://www.redstate.com/erick/2010/09/22/the-republicans-pledge-is-perhaps-the-most-ridiculous-thing-to-come-out-of-washington-since-george-mcclellan/

The House Republicans’ “Pledge to America” is out. A thrill will run up the leg of a few Chris Matthews’ types on the right. As Dan noted on Twitter, the Contract with America was 869 words and this is 21 pages. The Contract told you everything you needed to know about how a Republican Congress would be different from a Democrat Congress after 40 years of Democrat control.

These 21 pages tell you lots of things, some contradictory things, but mostly this: it is a serious of compromises and milquetoast rhetorical flourishes in search of unanimity among House Republicans because the House GOP does not have the fortitude to lead boldly in opposition to Barack Obama.

I have one message for John Boehner, Eric Cantor, and the House GOP Leadership: If they do not want to use the GOP to lead, I would like to borrow it for a time.

Yes, yes, it is full of mom tested, kid approved pablum that will make certain hearts on the right sing in solidarity. But like a diet full of sugar, it will actually do nothing but keep making Washington fatter before we crash from the sugar high.

It is dreck — dreck with some stuff I like, but like Brussels sprouts in butter. I like the butter, not the Brussels sprouts. Overall, this grand illusion of an agenda that will never happen is best spoken of today and then never again as if it did not happen. It is best forgotten.

The pledge begins by lamenting “an arrogant and out-of-touch government of self-appointed elites” issuing “mandates”, then proceeds to demand health care mandates on insurance companies that will drive up the costs of health care for ordinary Americans.

The plan wants to put “government on the path to a balanced budget” without doing anything substantive. There is a promise to “immediately reduce spending” by cutting off stimulus funds. Wow. Exciting.

There is a plan to cut Congress’s budget, which is pretty much what was promised in 1994. Seriously? In 4 years did the Democrats really blow up the Congressional budget? No — the GOP did that too.

There is no call for a Spending Limitation Amendment or a Balanced Budget Amendment. It is just meaningless stuff the Democrats can easily undo and that ultimately the Senate GOP will even turn its nose up at.

The entirety of this Promise is laughable. Why? It is an illusion that fixates on stuff the GOP already should be doing while not daring to touch on stuff that will have any meaningful longterm effects on the size and scope of the federal government.

This document proves the GOP is more focused on the acquisition of power than the advocacy of long term sound public policy. All the good stuff in it is stuff we expect them to do. What is not in it is more than a little telling that the House GOP has not learned much of anything from 2006.

I will vote Republican in November of 2010. But I will not carry their stagnant water.

speciallyblend
09-23-2010, 07:45 AM
I will only vote Republican locally,state and nationally if the Republican candidate can meet the Ron Paul Standard! Anything less and the dems deserve to beat the republicans until the gop follows Ron Paul's Standards!!!

PS notice to gop leaders, you better get your candidates inline and up to Ron Paul Standards or i am not buying the stagnant water!!

This should be called The Pledge to Screw America brought to you by the failed gop!!

moostraks
09-23-2010, 07:50 AM
I loved it until the last line. Why bother to vote Republican when it refuses to offer anything of substance or value??? Better to allow this ship to hit the iceberg at this point,imo. Apparently the pain threshold of your average american just hasn't been reached yet.

I have yet to read the so called GOP proposal but when I heard about it on the news snippet early this am I figured it to be pretty much what this article sounds off about. I will vote principal or the worse of two evils this round. Screw 'em...

Baptist
09-23-2010, 07:55 AM
I will only vote Republican locally,state and nationally if the Republican candidate can meet the Ron Paul Standard! Anything less and the dems deserve to beat the republicans until the gop follows Ron Paul's Standard!!!

PS notice to gop leaders, you better get your candidates inline and up to Ron Paul Standards or i am not buying the stagnant water!!

This should be called The Pledge to Screw America brought to you by the failed gop!!

Yeah, I'm not even registered to vote anymore. No lesser of two evils for me. If Ron Paul, Schiff, Kokesh, Lawson, etc are on my ballot, I'll register. Otherwise, I'm sitting at home.

I scanned over the Pledge and basically it was:
- minor cut in spending
- minor cut
- minor cut
- minor cut
- minor cut
- minor cut
+ Huge increase in military spending and more endless war

= no net decrease in spending

speciallyblend
09-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I'm not even registered to vote anymore. No lesser of two evils for me. If Ron Paul, Schiff, Kokesh, Lawson, etc are on my ballot, I'll register. Otherwise, I'm sitting at home.

I scanned over the Pledge and basically it was:
- minor cut in spending
- minor cut
- minor cut
- minor cut
- minor cut
- minor cut
+ Huge increase in military spending and more endless war

= no net decrease in spending

I feel like the fake tea party folks will lose in the general election like they should and many of the ron paul tea party folks will Win in the general! this is the only way to reform the gop!!

sailingaway
09-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Good for Erik. This is all about the gop leadership slapping together what they want to do as they see the GOP wave coming courtesy of the tea party conservatives. They are going to pretend the wave was a mandate for what they want to do. Then watch the remainder of themselves (establishment 'leader' types) go down in future primaries. They don't want to get on the tea party agenda, they want to pretend the outrage is supportive of THEIR agenda.

Pennsylvania
09-23-2010, 09:14 AM
I will vote Republican in November of 2010. But I will not carry their stagnant water.

Yeah that seems counter-productive.

Unless the candidate is a liberty candidate, we should all be voting for democrats.

ChaosControl
09-23-2010, 09:38 AM
All the bitching is pointless if you're just going to do what they want and vote for them in the end. How absolutely worthless.

erowe1
09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Ironic.

This pledge reads like something that Marco Rubio or Marlin Stutzman could have written.

Fozz
09-23-2010, 09:55 AM
And David Frum gives a smug, arrogant response to Erickson.

hxxp://www.frumforum.com/a-gop-pledge-to-do-nothing

Southron
09-23-2010, 10:05 AM
That is the weakest piece of trash I could have imagined. (Pledge)

They are not even pretending to accomplish something this time!

klamath
09-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I will opt for gridlock in this election as I can see Erick doing. The more RP aligned candidates are for a fact not doing as well as run of the mill republicans against the democrats. You may scream and yell at the republicans but it is the democrats and the indies shuting down the more RP aligned republicans. What is being waved around in the media and the democratic campaigns as the extreme statements these tea party/RP candidates are making are the statements RP proudly and commonly makes.

georgiaboy
09-26-2010, 03:02 PM
I will vote republican in november of 2010. But I will not carry their stagnant water.

UTTER FAIL.

I will vote small gov't constitutional conservative in november of 2010. Any other vote will only lead to more of the same big gov't dressed up with "pledges".

win.

nate895
09-26-2010, 03:07 PM
And David Frum gives a smug, arrogant response to Erickson.

hxxp://www.frumforum.com/a-gop-pledge-to-do-nothing

And water is wet.

JK/SEA
09-26-2010, 03:09 PM
./

nobody's_hero
09-26-2010, 04:58 PM

Yeah that seems counter-productive.

Unless the candidate is a liberty candidate, we should all be voting for democrats.

That's the attitude of most (meaning not all, but still too many) GOP types in Georgia. It goes something like this:

"Oh man I'm so angry I could just kick the GOP establishment in the rear end. I mean I have never in my life been so disappointed in this party. I swear I'll never vote for—okay I'll vote for you just this one last time, again. But don't let me down again or else!"

Until Erick Erickson does something drastic, like, I don't know, 'waste' a vote by putting it where his mouth is, he's not much better than the GOP pledge.

sofia
09-26-2010, 05:23 PM

ROFL....

If he is stating to his fans that he will vote Republican in 2010....then isnt that in effect "carrying their water.".......

what a douchebag

georgiaboy
09-26-2010, 05:29 PM
heh, yeah...

YouTube - Doofus, Doofus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUsCIsz_rvY)

Cowlesy
09-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Could this thing end up backfiring on the Republicans and depressing the base?

pcosmar
09-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Eviscerates ? ?
Wouldn't that mean that it had guts in it to begin with?

Assumes facts not in evidence.

speciallyblend
09-26-2010, 06:35 PM
our goal should be to remove from office anyone willing to sign this useless pledge!