PDA

View Full Version : I can't wait to see Rand Paul criticise the "Pledge to America"

dude58677
09-22-2010, 05:09 PM
And declare that John Bohner should be voted out in 2012. That would clearly show who is part of the Tea Party and who is not.

sailingaway
09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Or he could refrain from going out of his way to pick fights and focus on actually accomplishing stuff.

He may be asked about this, though.

MRoCkEd
09-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Rand wants to balance the budget in one year.

The BEST the current GOP has to offer is Paul Ryan's plan to balance the budget in over 50 years!

dude58677
09-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Or he could refrain from going out of his way to pick fights and focus on actually accomplishing stuff.

He may be asked about this, though.

No, people might become apathetic if they do not see the Tea Party speaking out against it. They might get the idea that the Tea Party is behind John Bohner and his puny attempt to cut government spending. It would also show that this is far different than 1994 but in more in line with 1776.

Thargok
09-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Rand is criticizing everyone, either get in line or get out of the way.

Kludge
09-22-2010, 05:49 PM
This would be a terrible mistake. The "Pledge To America" (which can be viewed here (http://dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/GOP-Pledge-to-America.pdf)) is clearly a tiny step in the right direction. It does not mention "defense" spending much at all (seems to actually encourage increased "defense" expenditure and continues on with pro-war rhetoric, even some saber-rattling with Iran) and calls for tax cuts while also calling for reduced spending, legislative means to prevent excessive deficit spending, and an elimination of Obamacare. This would not be anywhere near significant enough to eliminate the US spending deficit.

But arguing against the presented tax & spending cuts would be bad policy when he needs as much GOP support he can get. Rand already has the Tea Party base - he should continue focusing on branching out and ensuring he gets the neocon vote Conway's been after by insisting Rand is racist, soft on crime and supports drug legalization.

Arguing against the Pledge to America is something Ron should be doing.

libertybrewcity
09-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't think Rand should comment on this, even though it is filled with warmongering garbage. One of the points is "sanctions on iran". Why is Boehnor such a "hero" now? Who the hell appointed him? I sure didn't.

Matt Collins
09-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Wait until he's in office, then he can speak truth to power.

amy31416
09-22-2010, 08:17 PM
I'd like to ask some of these Republican douchebags one question:

You have to cut spending for one or the other, which do you choose?:

1. War funding
2. Medicare

I know which one most would rather cut, but I'm sure it'd make them spin off into a lot of politician double-speak. Empire at the expense of the elderly...Bernanke suggested just as much many months back.

(And no, I'm not saying that Medicare is wonderful.)

dude58677
09-22-2010, 10:02 PM
We should have a 75-90 percent spending cut and the IRS/Federal Reserve should be abolished. This "pledge" is a disgrace to the Tea Party.

It is time for John Bohner to go.

Thrashertm
09-23-2010, 09:16 AM
We should have a 75-90 percent spending cut and the IRS/Federal Reserve should be abolished. This "pledge" is a disgrace to the Tea Party.

This ^^

sailingaway
09-23-2010, 09:23 AM

Red State is furious about it too. Right now, though, I think Rand should say what he is FOR (balanced budget, slashing spending, etc) which clearly goes further than that pledge, and just ignore it, if he can until after the election. Clearly that isn't what the PEOPLE are calling for, it is just GOP leadership trying to pretend after November that the vote they get is a mandate for what they want to do -- so they don't have to listen to the new Congressmen we send in about what the agenda should be.

However, I agree we could probably afford to lose Bohner, it is the Senate where we may or may not get control. I'd be surprised if we didn't get it in the House.

K466
09-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Rand should figure out someway to paint the pledge as weak, and not enough; without saying something that can be used to say he's an extremist.

sailingaway
09-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Rand should figure out someway to paint the pledge as weak, and not enough; without saying something that can be used to say he's an extremist.

Something like: "Sometimes it is useful to declare a bare minimum that everyone can agree on as a first baby-step...."

Except I have to read it again to make sure I actually agree with all parts of it....

Matt Collins
09-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Except I have to read it again to make sure I actually agree with all parts of it....You won't.... especially the part about GTMO and terrorism etc... :(

Fozz
09-23-2010, 09:13 PM

Rand Paul should say that he agrees with parts of the pledge, such as repealing Obamacare, TARP, among others.

Then he should say that they could do a better job in balancing the budget, limiting terms, as well as confronting earmarks and having stronger rules about reading the bills.

Rand should not take a confrontational tone, or else he will be seen as a fringe figure.

Thargok
09-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Red State is furious about it too. Right now, though, I think Rand should say what he is FOR (balanced budget, slashing spending, etc) which clearly goes further than that pledge, and just ignore it, if he can until after the election. Clearly that isn't what the PEOPLE are calling for, it is just GOP leadership trying to pretend after November that the vote they get is a mandate for what they want to do -- so they don't have to listen to the new Congressmen we send in about what the agenda should be.

However, I agree we could probably afford to lose Bohner, it is the Senate where we may or may not get control. I'd be surprised if we didn't get it in the House.

That is a great strategy and exactly what Rand did in his current ad, his solutions are so common sense and simplistic that it makes Boehner look like an idiot.

DeadheadForPaul
09-24-2010, 05:29 PM
You don't attack the enemy of your enemy when you need them

sailingaway
09-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Apparently the Pledge was written by a long time lobbyist: http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/national-party-news/120593-gop-blueprint-bashes-special-interests-written-by-special-interests

Dreamofunity
09-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Something like: "Sometimes it is useful to declare a bare minimum that everyone can agree on as a first baby-step...."

Except I have to read it again to make sure I actually agree with all parts of it....

That's freaking brilliant.

Get on it Rand. Be the first publically to do it.

Kludge
09-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Arguing against the Pledge to America is something Ron should be doing.

:) http://dailycaller.com/2010/09/25/ron-paul-encourages-tea-partiers-to-challenge-the-gop-status-quo/