PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Colbert to Testify to Congress on Immigration. "Protecting America's Harvest"

Kludge
09-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Stephen Colbert to testify before House immigration subcommittee Friday

'Comedy Central host Stephen Colbert is slated to testify at a congressional

hearing Friday on immigration titled “Protecting America’s Harvest.”

One Republican source said Colbert will be testifying “in character,” the Bill O’Reilly-like muse Colbert uses for his show.

A House Judiciary Committee spokeswoman, confirming Colbert would testify, said the hearing matter was a “serious issue . . . this is not a TV stunt.”

Some Republicans have already expressed unhappiness with Colbert witnessing at the hearing, thinking it would make light of a serious issue.'

More @ http://dailycaller.com/2010/09/22/thedc-exclusive-stephen-colbert-to-testify-before-house-immigration-subcommittee-friday/#ixzz10HHTsXoT

sailingaway
09-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Aren't you supposed to bring special knowledge to something to testify?

And how is he going to deal with being under oath?

Kotin
09-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I'd really like to see that..

nate895
09-22-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Toureg89
09-22-2010, 03:18 PM
our legislative process is already a huge joke. atleast SC is going to be making jokes that are meant to be funny.

Romulus
09-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Dont we have enough clowns already?

Brian4Liberty
09-22-2010, 06:12 PM
So Congress likes to be entertained on the job...and Colbert will play the Royal Court Jester. Who's next? Bill Maher? Lady Gaga? Paris Hilton?

"Hello Congress, I'm Paris Hilton, and I'm here to party! I am so honored that you are having me today. You're all so sexy! That's hot! Yeah! I hope everyone has a blast here today! Check out my new bikini, it's a Louis Vuitton. Nancy Pelagosi has the same one! Hi Nancy! (waves to Nancy) I guess I'll turn the microphone over to Steven now, cause he's gonna talk about important political stuff. I just want to say that everyone should be nice to immigrants, and especially to immigrant animals. I love my chihuahua! Yo quero Taco Bell! Let's Party now!"

Brian4Liberty
09-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Leave it to our man Jason Chaffetz to call them out on this nonsense.

“What a joke. All the serious issues [we have], and we have Colbert as an ‘expert witness,’ ” said Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R) of Utah on his Twitter feed Wednesday.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Election-2010/Vox-News/2010/0923/Stephen-Colbert-What-will-he-say-in-congressional-testimony

Romulus
09-23-2010, 10:59 AM
This needs to be met with outrage.

Colbert, Stewart are hijacking meaningful issues into circus sideshows. Mockery and apathy is their business.

Kludge
09-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Colbert, Stewart are hijacking meaningful issues into circus sideshows.

Is that supposed to be ironic? - Because I laughed.

I've watched Congress in session. Colbert is going to be "in-character," so the "debate" should be about as sincere as it usually is on Capitol Hill. It's all theater.

specsaregood
09-23-2010, 11:13 AM

I've watched Congress in session. Colbert is going to be "in-character," so the "debate" should be about as sincere as it usually is on Capitol Hill. It's all theater.

http://kelvinslush.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/and-the-winner-is.jpg

Romulus
09-23-2010, 11:18 AM

I guess I believe some people in government are still sincere and arent just me-firsters there to put on a show.

BetaMale
09-23-2010, 01:14 PM
This is almost as stupid as our government trying to force a college football playoff instead of the BCS. (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/02/congress-tackles-college-football/) Our government truly has lost all touch on reality

libertarian4321
09-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Leave it to our man Jason Chaffetz to call them out on this nonsense.

Chaffetz is probably just pissed that Colbert beat him in leg wresting...twice.

JustinTime
09-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Aren't you supposed to bring special knowledge to something to testify??

I think all you need is to tell the people who called you what they want to hear. Im sure Colbert will be in favor of unlimited immigration, amnesty, and all sorts of benefits for everyone and their dog.

devil21
09-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Another step closer to Idiocracy.

Colbert is an entertainer. What does he know about immigration? Maybe he's Powell's neighbor....

specsaregood
09-23-2010, 05:13 PM
This is almost as stupid as our government trying to force a college football playoff instead of the BCS. (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/02/congress-tackles-college-football/) Our government truly has lost all touch on reality

Uhm, do those colleges receive federal funding? Even if only through student loans? Say what you will, but I'd rather they do spend their time worrying about college football than screwing up important stuff. And a playoff system is totally the way to go.

Liberty_Mike
09-23-2010, 05:14 PM
So Congress likes to be entertained on the job...and Colbert will play the Royal Court Jester. Who's next? Bill Maher? Lady Gaga? Paris Hilton?

Good one. Colbert for official Congressional Jester!

osan
09-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Aren't you supposed to bring special knowledge to something to testify?

And how is he going to deal with being under oath?

Colbert is a stooge and an imbecile. Therefore, it seems perfectly appropriate congress would have him testifying before them. I mean, all the rest of it is a meaningless dog and pony show - in for a penny, in for a pound. No reason to leave the level of absurdity where it is when it can be ratcheted up another notch or ten.

It all makes perfect strategic sense. Render everything absurd to the point the mob will accept anything.

osan
09-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Our government truly has lost all touch on reality

Nope. This sort of shit is well thought out. It is all part of the process of redefining "normal" and it is a central pillar in modern power strategy. By making the world as insanely crazy as possible on an ongoing and daily basis, people come to a new sense of "normal" such that almost anything is acceptable. I would not at all be surprised if in the coming decade or three sex with children will slowly be made "normal" and fully acceptable in the same way being ***** has been. The crazier "normal" becomes, the more easily can those in power get away with agenda items that would have no hope of ever flying in a more rational world.

You have to hand to these guys - they are very smart and have balls of brass. Of course, having a mob of constituents that is collectively dumber than a boiled turnip hasn't hurt, either.

Depressed Liberator
09-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Colbert is awesome, though he will seem out of place. Regardless, it'll probably still be funny.

legion
09-23-2010, 10:42 PM
I think it is appropriate, considering how inappropriately congress handles immigration.

They want to talk about a damn fence when what they really need to be discussing is the fact that it is impossible for the average Mexican citizen to visit, work, or immigrate here.

Why do we have illegal immigration? There are no legal alternatives.

Knightskye
09-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I'd like to see this in an attack ad.

"Sen. so-and-so invited a comedian to testify before the Judiciary Committee!"

Valli6
09-24-2010, 08:36 AM
http://c-span.org/Watch/C-SPAN3.aspx

Liberty_Mike
09-24-2010, 09:13 AM
http://c-span.org/Watch/C-SPAN3.aspx

Is he already done testifying?

AuH20
09-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Conyers throws the clown out of the proceedings:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Colbert-embarrasses-Dems-Conyers-asks-comedian-to-leave-then-withdraws-request-103712949.html

Liberty_Mike
09-24-2010, 09:25 AM

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Colbert-embarrasses-Dems-Conyers-asks-comedian-to-leave-then-withdraws-request-103712949.html

He's still in. I am listening right now and just heard him make a smart assed comment. Colbert's appearance proves Congress is a joke, and is not trying to make any real reform.

BenIsForRon
09-24-2010, 09:33 AM
YouTube - colbert 0001 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0IY3Lgb7nA)

pcosmar
09-24-2010, 09:36 AM

Attempted
Failed

He had his say and made some jokes, some of which had at least a little point.

Kind of appropriate. A comedian speaking in a house of clowns.
Politics in Amerika

Brian4Liberty
09-24-2010, 10:21 AM

The subcommittee is chaired by Rep. Zoe Lofgren

Another proud product of the San Francisco Bay Area. Right up there with carpet-baggers like Boxer and Pelosi...

specsaregood
09-24-2010, 10:25 AM
They want to talk about a damn fence when what they really need to be discussing is the fact that it is impossible for the average Mexican citizen to visit, work, or immigrate here.

Really? So you are saying there are no average Mexican citizens that have immigrated here legally? Is that your claim? I'm sure that wouldn't be difficult to disprove.

goopc
09-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Tom DiLorenzo gave a talk and he mentioned the shenanigans that the government does like this. He cited one case where they were debating some health care related issue, so they brought a famous actor who played a doctor on a TV drama to testify. The actor no real understanding of medicine, but he was famous and he got the committee attention.

See there are a lot of congressional hearing going on at one time. How can congress-critters get news coverage and attention for all the hard work they do "for the people"? Well one way is to bring celebrities in and make a spectacle about it.

Valli6
09-24-2010, 10:54 AM
See there are a lot of congressional hearing going on at one time. How can congress-critters get news coverage and attention for all the hard work they do "for the people"? Well one way is to bring celebrities in and make a spectacle about it.
Testimony about the handling of the NBBP/voter intimidation thing is happening today also.

newyearsrevolution08
09-24-2010, 10:55 AM
I say do it

our country is going to shit anyways so might as well get a smile or two in the progress

osan
09-24-2010, 11:03 AM
I guess I believe some people in government are still sincere and arent just me-firsters there to put on a show.

You are absolutely correct, and both of them have been relegated to the margins.

osan
09-24-2010, 11:09 AM
I say do it

our country is going to shit anyways so might as well get a smile or two in the progress

As I said, in for a penny in for a pound. Why stop halfway. Let's to this till the wheels fly off!

FTW

pcosmar
09-24-2010, 11:35 AM
A clown in the circus.
Is this news?

:confused:

Toureg89
09-24-2010, 12:39 PM
dude is being payed 125K$/hr to bring satire before congress...wtf...we know he doesnt care about the tax payer...

heavenlyboy34
09-24-2010, 12:51 PM
When I heard about this, I lol'ed! :) Indeed, our "masters" in the regime deserve to be mocked and laughed at. Colbert's bit reminds me of something from the Onion. :)

JustinTime
09-24-2010, 02:54 PM
I think it is appropriate, considering how inappropriately congress handles immigration.

We take in up to a million immigrants a year legally, plus their dependents. Mexico is the largest source, and on top of it we give them all sorts of taxpayer funded benefits, and the general attitude is that America is 'racist' or 'xenophobic' or whatever childish BS they think of that day all because we ask them to go through a legal process.

As far as Im concerned we have too much legal immigration.

devil21
09-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Was that an illegal sitting next Colbert, testifying even?

Marenco
09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Somehow it reminded me of this.

YouTube - State of the Union 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5zAAASsuyk&feature=related)

zade
09-24-2010, 08:07 PM
I thought he did a good job. For all you saying it's out of place, satire is a legitimate as a form of expression and has been used to urge change for centuries, but anyways I'd certainly rather see this than watch BS politicians throw around BS all day

JustinTime
09-25-2010, 01:17 PM
I thought he did a good job. For all you saying it's out of place, satire is a legitimate as a form of expression and has been used to urge change for centuries, but anyways I'd certainly rather see this than watch BS politicians throw around BS all day

This was BS, just because it was intentionally funny doesnt change that.

newyearsrevolution08
09-25-2010, 02:37 PM
there are better things that those paid officials could have been doing with our money for sure