PDA

View Full Version : FBI says it supplied fake bomb in Chicago plot

zach
09-22-2010, 12:01 PM
A man arrested for allegedly placing a backpack he thought contained a bomb near Chicago's Wrigley Field got the fake explosive from an FBI undercover agent, authorities say — a tactic that has been used in other U.S. terrorism cases in recent years.

Sami Samir Hassoun, 22, a Lebanese citizen living in Chicago for about three years, was charged Monday with one count each of attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and attempted use of an explosive device.

Hassoun was arrested early Sunday after planting the fake explosive device in a trash receptacle near Sluggers World Class Sports Bar, a popular bar steps from Wrigley Field, FBI Special Agent in Charge Robert Grant said. The Cubs were not playing at their home field; the stadium hosted Dave Matthews Band concerts Friday and Saturday nights.

It wouldn't be the first time FBI agents have posed as terror operatives and supplied suspects with bogus explosives. Last year, authorities arrested a Jordanian national after he allegedly attempted to detonate what he thought was a bomb outside a Dallas skyscraper. In an unrelated case, authorities in Springfield, Ill., arrested another man after he allegedly tried he tried to set off what he thought was explosives in a van outside a federal courthouse.

In a similar case in May 2009, four men were arrested after they allegedly tried to detonate fake explosives — also provided by the FBI — outside two synagogues in New York City.

In the Chicago case, the FBI said an informant tipped investigators about Hassoun nearly a year ago. Grant said Hassoun acted alone and that the undercover agents told him they were from California and unaffiliated with any group. He declined to offer specific details about Hassoun's motivations, but said he believed the agents were ready to give him money if he carried out the attack.

"He wanted to transform the city of Chicago, he wanted to make a statement and he wanted to replace the mayor of Chicago," Grant said. "He was unhappy with the way the city was running. He was also unhappy with things that were happening in other parts of world."

At a brief hearing Monday, Hassoun quietly told U.S. Judge Susan Cox that he understood the charges. Hassoun's federally appointed public defender Dan McLaughlin declined to comment on the case, as did several family members who attended the hearing. A message left on an answering machine at Hassoun's home telephone number wasn't returned.

Authorities say the informant befriended Hassoun over the course of a year, conducting conversations in Arabic, which were taped and shared with the FBI. Hassoun waffled greatly on his plans, authorities said.

Initially, he didn't want to cause violence, suggesting setting off smoking devices in downtown locations near City Hall, authorities said.

"No killing. There is no killing," he told the informant, according to the complaint.

But his plans became more grand, as he believed bigger acts would command public attention and embarrass the mayor, according to the complaint.

"Little by little, I'm building it up," he said, according to the complaint. "I will shake Chicago."

Hassoun's alleged plots ranged during the investigation. They included talk of plans to unleash a biological virus on Chicago and bombing the Willis Tower, formerly known as the Sears Tower, the complaint said.

Hassoun on one occasion told the informant he wanted to paralyze commerce in the city, according to the complaint. Asked how he intended to carry out various suggested attacks, Hassoun responded, "You park the car, and let it go 'boom,'" the complaint says.

Grant said Hassoun wanted to start his own organization and planned to flee to California after the device went off in Wrigleyville.

"He was not highly skilled, but I think he was definitely desirous of obtaining the material needed to carry out his attack," Grant said.

Shortly before the plot near Wrigley Field, the informant introduced Hassoun to the undercover agents who Hassoun believed were friends and would pay for the attack to be carried out.

Chicago authorities said Daley never was in any danger. Police said Daley — who has been in China for a business trip — was informed of the plot over the weekend.

"We were always in control of this investigation," said Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jiQZsSgxyN8Xm3M5af5L2Kh8RheQD9IC5KQ80

pcosmar
09-22-2010, 12:06 PM
"We were always in control of this investigation," said Chicago Police Superintendent Jody Weis.

Well duuuh !
They created it.

At least this wasn't what they call "crime scene enhancement" .
(that's when they plant evidence)
:(

Vessol
09-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Is there a single bomb plot in the past 20 years that HASN'T had their bombs and materials supplied by the FBI?

newyearsrevolution08
09-22-2010, 12:09 PM
makes you wonder how many over the years weren't duds

Anti Federalist
09-22-2010, 12:12 PM

The FBI supplied real explosives to the 1993 WTC bombers.

The only reason that didn't result in much greater damage and loss of life was the fact that the FBI's "inside man" was so horrified at what the FBI was proposing, he deliberately snafued the bombing plans to result in greatly reduced blast.

pcosmar
09-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Have you checked out the Hutaree's WMD's?
Cardboard tubes of black powder provided by who?
That's right the Fed Bombmaker.

:mad:

Vessol
09-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm honestly wondering, is there any "plot" in the past 20 years where the FBI has not been involved in some way? I can't think of one.

dannno
09-22-2010, 12:16 PM
The FBI supplied real explosives to the 1993 WTC bombers.

The only reason that didn't result in much greater damage and loss of life was the fact that the FBI's "inside man" was so horrified at what the FBI was proposing, he deliberately snafued the bombing plans to result in greatly reduced blast.

Is that what happened? I was under the impression that the informant was helping build the bomb and that they were supposed to supply fake powder, but didn't.. so the other guys ended up finding an alternative explosive to use while the informant was screaming at the FBI to give him the fake explosive so nobody would get hurt.

I think a lot of the truth is in the tapes, which they don't really detail in the news footage on the incident too well.

dannno
09-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm honestly wondering, is there any "plot" in the past 20 years where the FBI has not been involved in some way? I can't think of one.

None that I know of.

http://www.911omissionreport.com/columbine_fbi_link.html

oyarde
09-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Have you checked out the Hutaree's WMD's?
Cardboard tubes of black powder provided by who?
That's right the Fed Bombmaker.

What would you do with a cardboard tube of black powder ?

Vessol
09-22-2010, 12:29 PM

Cause MASS DESTRUCTION of course.

Remember that the media does not inform the public what the actual "bomb" is. They just use scary sounding words and vague descriptions.

dannno
09-22-2010, 12:32 PM

'Prosecute' :confused:

Anti Federalist
09-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Is that what happened? I was under the impression that the informant was helping build the bomb and that they were supposed to supply fake powder, but didn't.. so the other guys ended up finding an alternative explosive to use while the informant was screaming at the FBI to give him the fake explosive so nobody would get hurt.

I think a lot of the truth is in the tapes, which they don't really detail in the news footage on the incident too well.

Yes, that is correct.

You have to read into Salem's testimony to see where he claims to have botched the bomb placement in order to do minimal damage.

This was an op that took years to set up.

The link, if you have not already used History Commons, has a timeline back to early 80s on 9/11.

The New York Times later reports on Emad Salem, an undercover agent who will be the key government witness in the trial against Yousef. Salem testifies that the FBI knew about the attack beforehand and told him they would thwart it by substituting a harmless powder for the explosives. However, an FBI supervisor called off this plan, and the bombing was not stopped. [New York Times, 10/28/1993]

http://www.historycommons.org/timeline.jsp?timeline=complete_911_timeline&complete_911_timeline_alleged_al_qaeda_linked_atta cks=firstwtcbombing

Anti Federalist
09-22-2010, 12:44 PM

The feds had their hand in "radicals" that were bombing shit back in the 60s.

So forty years, not twenty.

pcosmar
09-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Personally?
I would call it fun.
And have.
;)

Dr.3D
09-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Someday, they are going to do that and the person carrying their fake bomb is going to replace it with a real one. Then the FBI won't stop them when they place it and it's going to go off. That is when there will be another big hush, hush on what happened.

oyarde
09-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Personally?
I would call it fun.
And have.
;)

Yeah , have not done that since I was a little kid . I call it fireworks . Who would classify that as a weapon ?

Dr.3D
09-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah , have not done that since I was a little kid . I call it fireworks . Who would classify that as a weapon ?

Someone trying to trump up charges on the person having one.

pcosmar
09-22-2010, 12:52 PM

The Prosecutor. The Media.
Idiots. , but that's redundant.

oyarde
09-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Someone trying to trump up charges on the person having one.

Exactly , but who would be fooled by that ? Some black powder ? WTH . I HAVE MORE DANGEROUS STUFF i CLEAN THE BATHROOM WITH .

Anti Federalist
09-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Someday, they are going to do that and the person carrying their fake bomb is going to replace it with a real one. Then the FBI won't stop them when they place it and it's going to go off. That is when there will be another big hush, hush on what happened.

Read the whole thread Dr.

That is basically what happened in the 1993 WTC bombing only it was the FBI substituting the fake bomb for a real one.

pcosmar
09-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Exactly , but who would be fooled by that ? Some black powder ? WTH . I HAVE MORE DANGEROUS STUFF i CLEAN THE BATHROOM WITH .

Those are called "Bomb making Materials" in the press generally.
When it suits their purpose.

Anti Federalist
09-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Exactly.

Just about every single adult person in the USA can be charged with "possessing bomb making materials" if the cops decide to.

Dr.3D
09-22-2010, 12:59 PM

Have you noticed how hard it is to buy black power? For some reason, they have classified it as an explosive and now it's very difficult to find. I have to travel many miles to get what I need to use in my black powder rifle.

I suppose they did that so they could claim the person with the cardboard tube full of it has explosives.

oyarde
09-22-2010, 01:05 PM

So it appears .

Anti Federalist
09-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Have you noticed how hard it is to buy black power? For some reason, they have classified it as an explosive and now it's very difficult to find. I have to travel many miles to get what I need to use in my black powder rifle.

I suppose they did that so they could claim the person with the cardboard tube full of it has explosives.

Make your own.

http://www.musketeer.ch/blackpowder/homemade_bp.html

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-make-black-powder-with-homemade-ball-mill-195754/

http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=http%3A//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DDtHKiRdtEGc

oyarde
09-22-2010, 01:06 PM

You should be able to buy it at the drugstore along with aspirin and beer .

pcosmar
09-22-2010, 01:11 PM
You should be able to buy it at the drugstore along with aspirin and beer .

And Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store rather than a Federal Agency.

Hell, you should still be able to buy dynamite at the hardware store for all your earth-moving, stump removal or fishing needs.

phill4paul
09-22-2010, 01:16 PM
And Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store rather than a Federal Agency.

^^^ This.

oyarde
09-22-2010, 01:21 PM

Hell, you should still be able to buy dynamite at the hardware store for all your earth-moving, stump removal or fishing needs.

I really never have been able to comprehend how someone was able to convince anyone of a need for that agency , but I bet if you studied it , leading factor would go back to liquor tax .

pcosmar
09-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I really never have been able to comprehend how someone was able to convince anyone of a need for that agency , but I bet if you studied it , leading factor would go back to liquor tax .

So many wonderful things came from prohibition,,:rolleyes:

From organized crime to federal agencies. Not to mention stupid laws.

oyarde
09-22-2010, 01:37 PM
So many wonderful things came from prohibition,,:rolleyes:

From organized crime to federal agencies. Not to mention stupid laws.

Could we all just pledge to not fudge on our liquor taxes in exchange for dismantling the ATF and end to all firearm restrictions ? Sounds reasonable to me , saves money and gives back Constitutional freedom of the second amendment and the govt. still gets to steal from us . Everybody wins . :)

oyarde
09-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Black powder is ridiculous . In Italy today 7 tons of T4 ( RDX) explosives were siezed coming in from Iran .

oyarde
09-22-2010, 04:19 PM
I wonder what the price per ton of Iranian T4 is including shipping ? The Italian mob has used this before , but they would not need this much . Resale ? to who ?

pcosmar
09-22-2010, 04:22 PM
I wonder what the price per ton of Iranian T4 is including shipping ? The Italian mob has used this before , but they would not need this much . Resale ? to who ?

perhaps the Iranians just have an excess. Volume discount. ;)
If that is really where it came from.
Source of this story ?

oyarde
09-22-2010, 04:33 PM
In WWII , the dam buster bombs used 6,600 lbs of Torpex, which is RDX mixed with tnt. Comp C from that time period was 91 % RDX as C 4 is .

oyarde
09-22-2010, 04:48 PM
As far as I know it is mixed slightly with something else . I bet wax would work.

oyarde
09-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Southern Calabria , Italy . That sounds pretty good . Great wine . I could use a vacation .

oyarde
09-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Source of this story ?

I read it earlier today , Swiss / Italian owned ship , Liberian flagged . Source was AP in Rome .

oyarde
09-22-2010, 05:23 PM
The Italians are going through the ship log pretty hard trying to figure out where all the ship has been lately.

oyarde
09-22-2010, 05:27 PM
14,000 lbs of RDX. I cannot think of anything off the top of my head you could not destroy with that . If 6600 lbs would bring a large dam down .

Galileo Galilei
09-22-2010, 05:28 PM
this sounds like a conspiracy theory.

oyarde
09-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Source of this story ?

The Italian police said that is where they think it originated .

pcosmar
09-22-2010, 05:29 PM
The Italians are going through the ship log pretty hard trying to figure out where all the ship has been lately.

And this ties into FBI bombers How?

On that note it might be good to look back on COINTELPRO and the findings of the investigation.
Same shit, different day.
http://www.multistalkervictims.org/cointeldocs/churchfinalreportIIcd.htm

oyarde
09-22-2010, 05:30 PM
this sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Maybe the AP is into theories .

oyarde
09-22-2010, 05:38 PM
And this ties into FBI bombers How?

On that note it might be good to look back on COINTELPRO and the findings of the investigation.
Same shit, different day.
http://www.multistalkervictims.org/cointeldocs/churchfinalreportIIcd.htm

It does not , I was just meandering about how ridiculous the black powder thing was . There is definately something strange about the Italian story though .

oyarde
09-22-2010, 05:51 PM
I do not suppose there are any photos of the fake Chicago bomb ?

pcosmar
09-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I do not suppose there are any photos of the fake Chicago bomb ?

Haven't seen any. But I did see pics of the fake bomb in Time Square. Remember the gas cans and fireworks made by a professional terrist bomb maker.

They got a lot of mileage out of that.

oyarde
09-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Haven't seen any. But I did see pics of the fake bomb in Time Square. Remember the gas cans and fireworks made by a professional terrist bomb maker.

They got a lot of mileage out of that.

Yes I saw that .

oyarde
09-22-2010, 08:25 PM
I have not really been able to find any info on the Chicago bomb .

pcosmar
09-22-2010, 08:32 PM
I have not really been able to find any info on the Chicago bomb .

Fake bomb.= no pics
Fake plot.= what ever they say it was.

It all originated and ended with the FBI.
some poor schmuck is going to jail over it.
but don't let that stand in the way of propaganda.

oyarde
09-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Fake bomb.= no pics
Fake plot.= what ever they say it was.

It all originated and ended with the FBI.
some poor schmuck is going to jail over it.
but don't let that stand in the way of propaganda.

Yeah I know , I would like to see it though .