PDA

View Full Version : Koran burning pastor gets six digit bill

JustinTime
09-21-2010, 07:11 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/09/21/2010-09-21_terry_jones_florida_pastor_who_proposed_koran_b urning_to_be_hit_with_200k_securi.html?r=news/national

Charging for police protection seems grossly unfair to me when we already pay taxes to fund them. If they want to bill people, get rid of the police altogether.

But that aside, whats really going here is punishment for free speech. I bet the cops in NYC wouldnt dare send a bill to Imam Rauf if some Christian loon threatened a bombing, or if a KKK crazy said he would bomb the local NAACP chapter.

Vessol
09-21-2010, 07:23 PM
If he wants protection, let him pay out of his own pocket for some of those Blackwater goons to protect him.

JustinTime
09-21-2010, 07:30 PM
If he wants protection, let him pay out of his own pocket for some of those Blackwater goons to protect him.

But then shouldnt we just get rid of police departments? At least with Blackwater, you dont get bills unless you request their protection, and they wont bill you in the form of taxes whether you ask for help or not.

Also, they will bill everyone, and not certain people who say non-PC stuff.

The whole Koran burning mess is like a lab on how to limit free speech, last week I posted a thread about the 'fire in a crowded theater' idea, now, you can use police protection to bankrupt someone who says unpopular things, in a way that is blatantly discriminatory and flies in the face of why we tax in the first place.

Vessol
09-21-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm not really a fan of public police departments in the first place, but I don't think that in this situation that this individual should actually be charged by them to protect him.

low preference guy
09-21-2010, 07:33 PM
this has tremendous first amendment implications. if someone says something, people who disagree can just show up close to his house with guns. that will increase the cost to protect the speaker, and the threat of being forced to pay the security bill will essentially silence him.

libertybrewcity
09-21-2010, 07:41 PM
they shouldn't have protected this guy in the first place.

idirtify
09-21-2010, 07:45 PM
this has tremendous first amendment implications. if someone says something, people who disagree can just show up close to his house with guns. that will increase the cost to protect the speaker, and the threat of being forced to pay the security bill will essentially silence him.

Agreed. Not to mention the fact that other parties were mainly responsible for the widespread publicity (hysteria), and the fact that the president and the FBI and the military and a major portion of believers in the religion of Islam made very credible threats of violence to prevent this man from doing something that isn’t the slightest bit illegal.

This is a terrible precedent on many levels.

oyarde
09-21-2010, 08:01 PM
I knew they would screw this guy like this. Saw it coming from the get go .

Southron
09-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Just wait till they start charging for Tea Party rallies...

noxagol
09-21-2010, 08:24 PM
They have no right to bill him as he did not agree to being billed when they provided the service, ergo he owes them nothing because he never agreed to pay them anything.

JustinTime
09-21-2010, 08:24 PM
I knew they would screw this guy like this. Saw it coming from the get go .

Youre very perceptive, I actually didnt see this coming at all.

It bothers me for several reasons, as with my thread last week, this effectively makes the most violent people in society into censors. Somebody says things they dont like, they need only to make a few threats, and viola, the offensive speech is shut up by government.

That, I cant stand for.

The other thing is that I dont like the guy, but the addage "I may not agree with what you say, but Ill fight for your right to say it" is enough for me. Unless a lot of people are willing to accept that and defend those who are horrible and downright goofy, freedom wont work.

We cant say "Freedom ONLY for those who do and say what I like!" and expect to be free.

It makes me sad that so many people I meet cant wrap their heads around that.

oyarde
09-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Youre very perceptive, I actually didnt see this coming at all.

It bothers me for several reasons, as with my thread last week, this effectively makes the most violent people in society into censors. Somebody says things they dont like, they need only to make a few threats, and viola, the offensive speech is shut up by government.

That, I cant stand for.

The other thing is that I dont like the guy, but the addage "I may not agree with what you say, but Ill fight for your right to say it" is enough for me. Unless a lot of people are willing to accept that and defend those who are horrible and downright goofy, freedom wont work.

We cant say "Freedom ONLY for those who do and say what I like!" and expect to be free.

It makes me sad that so many people I meet cant wrap their heads around that.

First thing I thought was how Do they plan to get even ? I figured they would bill him for police , if he is broke , lien against his property , then his tax exempt status would be reviewed. Then there is the IRS .

Toureg89
09-21-2010, 10:26 PM
i dont need police to protect me in order to practice my 1A rights. i live in a state where it is still legal to both be prepared to, and allowed to, protect myself.

that being said, its utter BS they billed him for his 1A rights.

lol, just realized in live in his state.

JustinTime
09-23-2010, 04:38 PM
i dont need police to protect me in order to practice my 1A rights. i live in a state where it is still legal to both be prepared to, and allowed to, protect myself.

that being said, its utter BS they billed him for his 1A rights.

lol, just realized in live in his state.

A big part of this bill is for security at Florida Gators football games, they were scared of terror threats and they put more officers than normal at the stadium. They just sent him the bill, which I think is total BS. They are billing him for something he never asked for.

oyarde
09-23-2010, 04:44 PM
A big part of this bill is for security at Florida Gators football games, they were scared of terror threats and they put more officers than normal at the stadium. They just sent him the bill, which I think is total BS. They are billing him for something he never asked for.

Of course it is BS , it is what can happen though when you draw attention to yourself from the various forms of evil govt . Always better to lay low . If you are not , at least consider everything first .