PDA

View Full Version : NYC - Black Market Grilled Cheese

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 01:17 PM
What you have to go through to get an "illegal" grilled cheese sandwich in NYC.

NYC's underground grilled cheese

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/09/21/am-nycs-undreground-grilled-cheese/?refid=0

An entrepreneur named "Ronnie" in New York City's Lower East Side has found an intriguing way to do business: hungry customers get his number from a friend or a friend's friend, text him for a grilled cheese sandwich, and voila -- melted cheddar on Rye bread 15 minutes later. Brendan Francis Newnam gave it a try.

Text of story:

BILL RADKE: For years, if you wanted illegal drugs in New York City, you'd get the number of an anonymous dealer who would show up at your location with the goods. Now an entrepreneur who goes by the name of "Ronnie" is trying this technique with... grilled cheese sandwiches. Hungry customers get Ronnie's number from a friend, or a friend-of-a-friend, and they text their order, and in 15 minutes or less they get a hot, grilled cheese anywhere in the Lower East Side.

Our friend Brendan Francis Newnam, co-host of "The Dinner Party Download," gave it a try.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRENDAN FRANCIS NEWNAM: OK. I'm here on location in the Lower East Side. I just texted this number and I just told him where I was. So it's been about 10 minutes and every time I look around I think I see Ronnie. Is Ronnie a kid with alabaster legs that look like lollipop sticks riding a skateboard? Is Ronnie riding a bike with a cast on one leg?

RONNIE: Hey, how's it going?

NEWNAM: You're Ronnie? Do you have the stuff?

RONNIE: I do. I have the stuff right here for you.

NEWNAM: We didn't even talk about price?

RONNIE: Price? This is a $5 sandwich.

NEWNAM: Do you have change for a $10?

RONNIE: What kind of dealer would I be without change?

NEWNAM: Look at all that cash. How many grilled cheese have you moved today?

RONNIE: Today, I've done like 50.

NEWNAM: You mind sitting while I snack on this? So how did this get started?

RONNIE: Basically, I was making a grilled cheese for all my buddies after we'd come back from a night out and they loved it and told their friends. And their friends just kind of spread the word, and it grew bigger just by word-of-mouth.

NEWNAM: And so then, how did that turn into like people texting you randomly and press about this?

RONNIE: So the press happened because my brother's girlfriend used to be in PR and she contacted UrbanDaddy, and they ate it up.

NEWNAM: Literally.

RONNIE: Yeah.

NEWNAM: All right. I'm going to check this out. It's really nice bread. What kind of bread is this?

RONNIE: This is, what do I have? Rye there from Blue Ribbon Bakery.

NEWNAM: And we have Granny Smith apples and gooey cheddar cheese.

RONNIE: And a whole lot of cheddar cheese.

NEWNAM: Excellent. And it's still hot. I know you're not going to tell me, but your kitchen must be pretty close?

RONNIE: It's pretty close. And I did a couple laps around the block trying to find you.

NEWNAM: So what's next?

RONNIE: Next I'm looking to get into a legal kitchen. For example, a restaurant that isn't open for lunch. I would rent it out from them and just work the lunch shift delivering sandwiches everywhere.

NEWNAM: You know how people are really picky in restaurants. Has anyone like sent you back?

RONNIE: I've gotten nothing, but good feedback.

NEWNAM: Isn't that part of it, though, cause you get away with a lot cause it's such a clever setup that this sandwich could suck and I would still be tickled.

RONNIE: Definitely. The product still has to be good, but even if it's not excellent people are still probably going to like.

NEWNAM: So when are you going to be able to reveal your identity.

RONNIE: Once I get into a legal kitchen.

NEWNAM: So why Ronnie?

RONNIE: Well, it's the perfect pseudonym because it's my name also.

dannno
09-21-2010, 01:22 PM
nice...... Mr. Nice Guy..

libertarian4321
09-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Another American disobeying stupid laws.

Good.

Pericles
09-21-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm LMAO, and the pity is that this situation is not funny.

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Another American disobeying stupid laws.

Good.

We don't agree on much, but can agree on that.

oyarde
09-21-2010, 03:12 PM
We don't agree on much, but can agree on that. Too far East of me or I would buy one .

Kotin
09-21-2010, 03:26 PM
The guy is a patriot.

The gandhi of grilled cheese

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 03:55 PM
The guy is a patriot.

The gandhi of grilled cheese

Serious question here.

What should the proper response be if, in the morning, we find that "Ronnie" was raided in the night by heavily armed SWAT cops acting at the behest of the federal FDA and city health "officials"?

And was gunned down for brandishing a spatula that cops "mistook" for a gun?

TheBlackPeterSchiff
09-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Well until he starts his "legal kitchen" and see all the taxes, fees, and regulations he has to follow.

phill4paul
09-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Serious question here.

What should the proper response be if, in the morning, we find that "Ronnie" was raided in the night by heavily armed SWAT cops acting at the behest of the federal FDA and city health "officials"?

And was gunned down for brandishing a spatula that cops "mistook" for a gun?

City authorities working in conjunction with federal FDA forces are only trying to protect mundanes from diseases that are rampant in household kitchen.

Exhibit A:

A new study shows 1 in 7 homes would flunk the same health inspections that are given to restaurants. Only 61% of homes would get an A or B, 14% would fail.

Ref: http://www.kgbanswers.com/are-home-kitchens-dirtier-than-restaurants/7370572

Obviously mundanes don't know how lethal spatulas can be.

Exhibit B: Take note of the lethality of the serrated edge.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScJ4lu0YTy6s-FAdh6fn0Lwy6mOypFSs502HWUIpW-OJqxOBE&t=1&usg=__h_OTeIP6q0nmYnUE4CvhwToIKWM=

Be quite mundane. Lest we turn our eye to you.

Promontorium
09-21-2010, 04:21 PM
...apples? really?

I've heard cupcakes are the fad right now, and so every chick with sugar in her cupboard thinks she's a gourmet chef now. I always hear the rogue delivery person say they want to move their business to a stable location which makes absolutely no sense to me. Your business is working because you aren't in a fixed location. Certainly if your only goal is to get a restaurant, starting with cooking is a good opening, but you can't expect the same one dimensional over priced delivery crap you've been making a killing on is anything but apples to oranges from a restaurant. The truly next logical step would be to just hire more people to help deliver/cook. Forget the restaurant. No one's going across town for a grilled cheese sandwich or a cupcake.

I'd expect $3 in gold leaf on a $5 grilled cheese.

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 04:32 PM
I'd expect $3 in gold leaf on a $5 grilled cheese.

You don't know NYC.

5 bucks doesn't go far.

;)

phill4paul
09-21-2010, 04:42 PM
I use to have a hot dog cart and go to festivals. Every vendor got "schooled" by a dude that sold $1 grilled cheese w/ garlic sandwiches. Two pieces white sliced and two pieces American and grated garlic. That is it.
His only equipment was a couple of Coleman cookstoves and a some griddles. $200 and site fee and he was good to go.
My dog cart cost $1200. I had to have license and registration. Part of licensing meant I had to have use of an established restaurants washing facilities or jump through hoops to get my dishwasher/kitchen certified. Every possible dog condiment added to overhead and I couldn't skip because you just never know which would be the "favorite" condiment of the festival.

He made twice the profit with (less) than half the cost of any vendor there.
At a buck a piece his line was the longest all day long. Especially with kids. A buck to feed your rug rat. C'mon this cat had us hands down.

That is what Ronnie is missing. Once he gets into the restaurant those $5 grilled cheeses are gonna become $12 grilled cheeses and people are just gonna order Chinese.

dannno
09-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Ya the underground business model is quite appealing in today's society. Doesn't really matter what you're selling.

oyarde
09-21-2010, 06:27 PM
You don't know NYC.

5 bucks doesn't go far.

;)

Tell them how much a pack of cigarettes and a high end draft beer costs .

phill4paul
09-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Tell them how much a pack of cigarettes and a high end draft beer costs .

Without a google I would guess about $20. Close? Probably low. LOL.

TNforPaul45
09-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches hate us because we are free.

oyarde
09-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Without a google I would guess about $20. Close? Probably low. LOL.

Pretty close .

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches hate us because we are free.

That right there is funny. :D

Almost as funny as Roho's remark about an asteroid that was possibly going to collide with Washington D.C. laying waste to the city in the process.

"The asteroids are only doing the jobs Americans won't do anymore."

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 07:48 PM
///

oyarde
09-21-2010, 07:58 PM
I do not know if you got a chance to look yesterday , but I got you some more numbers on Iraq in the "DHS shared oil protester info " thread .

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 08:02 PM
I do not know if you got a chance to look yesterday , but I got you some more numbers on Iraq in the "DHS shared oil protester info " thread .

Yes, I did see those and made note of it.

Thanks for posting.

;)

Vessol
09-21-2010, 08:03 PM
I bet a grilled cheese sandwich that he'll be arrested and charged for tax evasion and selling without a license.

oyarde
09-21-2010, 08:05 PM
i bet a grilled cheese sandwich that he'll be arrested and charged for tax evasion and selling without a license.

if he is smart he will be paying taxes on at least some of it.then they cannot get him for that .

payme_rick
09-21-2010, 08:28 PM
awesome, love it...

someone mentioned hotdogs...

There's this hotdog guy in Austin that sets up his stand (or used to) around 6th Street every Saturday night, Friday night sometimes... these dogs were pretty good size and he had this habenero relish that truely kicked ass...

I remember the first time I got one from him a friend of mine that knew him took me by there... I didn't see a price but went ahead and asked for one... he handed me the dog and I asked how much it was, he said: "I tell you what, go ahead and eat it, if you don't like it I'll shut this stand down and take you to the stand across the street and I'll buy you one of theirs... but if you DO like it, just put how ever much money you think it was worth into this pickle jar right here, but $3.00 is all I ask..."

Took a bite and dropped a 20 in the plastic pickle-jar that was full of nothing but 10s and 20s... damn good dog and you gotta love his sales approach...

the guy had a lot of people that hung around his stand... rumor was he could leave the stand as it was, go have a beer or two and come back with more money in the jar...

Vessol
09-21-2010, 08:32 PM
awesome, love it...

There's this hotdog guy in Austin that sets up his stand (or used to) around 6th Street every Saturday night, Friday night sometimes... these dogs were pretty good size and he had this habenero relish that truely kicked ass...

I remember the first time I got one from him a friend of mine that knew him took me by there... I didn't see a price but went ahead and asked for one... he handed me the dog and I asked how much it was, he said: "I tell you what, go ahead and eat it, if you don't like it I'll shut this stand down and take you to the stand across the street and I'll buy you one of theirs... but if you DO like it, just put how ever much money you think it was worth into this pickle jar right here, but $3.00 is all I ask..."

Took a bite and dropped a 20 in the plastic pickle-jar that was full of nothing but 10s and 20s... damn good dog and you gotta love his sales approach...

the guy had a lot of people that hung around his stand... rumor was he could leave the stand as it was, go have a beer or two and come back with more money in the jar...

Reminds me of the Humble Indie Bundle.

http://www.wolfire.com/humble

silus
09-21-2010, 08:32 PM
No different than those burrito sellers outside bars and clubs at 2am.

oyarde
09-21-2010, 08:33 PM
awesome, love it...

Now I am getting hungry . Thinking chicken wings since I am out of hot dogs . I am old enough not to worry about being one of the fat kids in the other thread. I never ate twinkies though , so maybe that is it . :)