PDA

View Full Version : $754 Traffic Ticket For Failing To Slow 20 mph For Patrol Car Stopped On Side of Road

qh4dotcom
09-21-2010, 08:44 AM
An e-mail I just received

Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:15:33 AM
Subject: $754.00 Traffic Ticket

New Traffic Law 2010 - Ticket cost $754.00
GOOD THING TO KNOW: New Law: If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you have to change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow down by 20 mph. Every state except Hawaii , Maryland and D.C. has this law. In California , the "Move-over" law became operative on January 1, 2010.

A friend's son got a ticket for this recently. A police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. He slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket. He had never heard of the law. It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane.
The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a mandatory court appearance. Please let everyone you know that drives about this new law. It is true, see details at the following web address:

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/

Bluedevil
09-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Im pretty sure that if cops just kept to stopping murder, rape and theft people would like them a lot more and the country would be a heck of a lot better off.

Maximilian American
09-21-2010, 09:45 AM
That is a rediculous fine amount and point penalty. The second cop car was there to obviously trap another vehicle for more revenue. The cops are running a business. Congress should send 50% of them to the borders to work the trap game there, not here.

Southron
09-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I try to move over if possible, whether it's a police officer or just someone changing a tire.

That is excessive though.

Matt Collins
09-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Although the fine is excessive and should be greatly reduced, this is a law that makes sense. However the law enforcement agency shouldn't be allowed to keep any of the fine it wins because that gives them an incentive to penalize people.

angelatc
09-21-2010, 10:02 AM
I used to move over. Now I don't, because if the cop is outside of the car, odds are he's not coming to get me. I do slow down though. I don't want to kill anybody.

Stary Hickory
09-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Traffic cops are the most useless human beings on this planet. How many times have you felt a traffic cop was protecting you? Or stopping dangerous drivers?

thrillhouse
09-21-2010, 10:10 AM
My fiance got nailed for this. It's pretty recent in NJ and
I had never heard of it prior. She moved into the lane to exit near where the officer had someone pulled over.

KCIndy
09-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Almost every state has a "move over" law now, as illustrated by the web site mentioned in the OP, www.moveoveramerica.com:

http://www.moveoveramerica.com/map1.gif

The fines can vary tremendously from state to state.

I find the law annoying and ripe for abuse by law enforcement.... BUT, I will have to say that moving over really IS the polite thing to do when approaching someone on the shoulder of the highway.

Stary Hickory
09-21-2010, 10:24 AM
It is polite but often not possible or practicable. Slowing down and being aware is all that is needed.

qh4dotcom
09-21-2010, 10:35 AM
My fiance got nailed for this. It's pretty recent in NJ and
I had never heard of it prior. She moved into the lane to exit near where the officer had someone pulled over.

Just curious, how much was her fine?

Philhelm
09-21-2010, 10:36 AM
YouTube - Terminator 1 Police Station Shootout (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iDjFsZ2L78)

I suspect that Arnie got a ticket for not changing lanes. I'd be pissed too.

qh4dotcom
09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Many of you who claim to defend the Constitution apparently don't get it since you haven't talked about it. Sheriff Mack has talked about this. This is a clear violation of the 8th amendment (no excessive fines).

qh4dotcom
09-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I find the law annoying and ripe for abuse by law enforcement.... BUT, I will have to say that moving over really IS the polite thing to do when approaching someone on the shoulder of the highway.

Well you shouldn't be fined for not being polite...also you don't know if the person on the shoulder of the highway is an Obama supporter or not. Living in a county infested with liberals, I have to assume the person on the shoulder of the highway is.

Danke
09-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Well you shouldn't be fined for not being polite...also you don't know if the person on the shoulder of the highway is an Obama supporter or not. Living in a county infested with liberals, I have to assume the person on the shoulder of the highway is.

Do you eat road kill?

Philhelm
09-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Many of you who claim to defend the Constitution apparently don't get it since you haven't talked about it. Sheriff Mack has talked about this. This is a clear violation of the 8th amendment (no excessive fines).

You're right; it is an excessive fine, especially considering that for many Americans, that is at least half of a month's pay. Many families can't afford a ticket like that (or any tickets, for that matter).

roho76
09-21-2010, 11:07 AM
I can't even content how many times I have been stuck in traffic just to find out it's because f some cop on the side of the road giving someone a ticket for Doing ten over. With everybody slowing down to gawk and not really pay attention I find it more dangerous for them to pull anyone over in the first place. But this is just obnoxious. This has got to be one f the most expensive traffic laws on the books. The cops never seem to give me any reason to respect them more with all their respect the police laws.

HOLLYWOOD
09-21-2010, 11:08 AM
lol... Oh the Paradox of the Taxpayer funded "Stage Coach Robbers".

Remember, it's the clever Art of the Judicial system and politicians to legislate money making laws that are instigated by offenders that make up .0001% of the people, but imposed on 100% of the population.

Danke
09-21-2010, 11:12 AM
On HWYs they should have one pull off on an exit ramp at least. Seems unnecessarily dangerous to be on the shoulder anyway.

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 11:16 AM

There's an 8th Amendment?

All kidding aside, that Amendment has been dead lettered for years now, people are routinely fined excessively and denied bail on a regular basis.

:mad:

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Let's all pitch in to protect the law enforcement officers who protect us every day

Ugh.

Somebody cue up Lee Greenwood.

pcosmar
09-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Ugh.

Better yet,

YouTube - My Country My Ass (radio version) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19cEc_DVRrI)

MelissaWV
09-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Ugh.

Agreed. I've taken a different tactic when dealing with this law in discussion, because most people will say "what's the big deal? Just move over!" or something similar to the tripe you posted from the website. There is something else that gets them thinking.

We should move over a lane, or slow down 20 mph, because there is a police car with lights flashing and the officer might be in harm's way, right? I mean, a car might clip him going 50 or 60 mph and that would probably land him in the middle of the interstate, at which point the next car would make him roadkill. That's incredibly dangerous. So... why isn't the law that you should have to slow down or move over for any car on the shoulder? I mean, if you break down and you're changing a tire, aren't you kind of in more danger than a highly-trained policeman on his way back to his vehicle, who knows to look out for all kinds of hazards? What about tow truck drivers? They have to pull those big tow trucks over to the side of the road, which is hazardous enough, and then get out and try to get your car hooked up... it sounds incredibly dangerous. Why aren't they included? Or those guys mowing the lawn and clipping tree branches? Or construction workers? Right now you just have construction zones, but you're usually not slowed down to 20 mph below the prior speed limit. You certainly are not required to move over a lane for a construction worker walking along the shoulder or near to it.

And why 20 mph slower? If you're in a 25 mph zone, you have to slow down to almost idling. If this is the speed at which it's safe, then why is 25 mph a safe speed to pass a pulled-over cop in a 45 mph zone? And why is 45 mph not safe there, but it is on the interstate where the speed limit is originally 65 mph? How is it possible that, for safety's sake, in one area you must slow down to 45 mph but in another you have to go 5 mph? If there's a "safe speed" to pass, shouldn't it be universal? Shouldn't the law be something like "you must slow down to 30 mph or move over a lane," and obviously if that's the speed limit or if it's lower, you don't have to slow down at all?

Usually either line of questioning makes someone wonder wtf makes officers so special, and realize how absolutely moronic this law really is.

It *is* ticketing you for being impolite. If you clip someone, or cause damage to someone's property, because you're zipping past them and they are reasonably on the shoulder... you should have to answer for that. If you've done nothing, though, it's just another way to wring your wallet.

Dr.3D
09-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Slowing down on an expressway is a good way to get the car behind you into a wreck running into the back of your car.

newyearsrevolution08
09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Here is a thought

stop pulling people over on the side of the road

pace them
loud speaker telling them to take the next offramp
pull em over

done and done

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Nice tack to take there, missy, I like it.

;)

Agreed. I've taken a different tactic when dealing with this law in discussion, because most people will say "what's the big deal? Just move over!" or something similar to the tripe you posted from the website. There is something else that gets them thinking.

We should move over a lane, or slow down 20 mph, because there is a police car with lights flashing and the officer might be in harm's way, right? I mean, a car might clip him going 50 or 60 mph and that would probably land him in the middle of the interstate, at which point the next car would make him roadkill. That's incredibly dangerous. So... why isn't the law that you should have to slow down or move over for any car on the shoulder? I mean, if you break down and you're changing a tire, aren't you kind of in more danger than a highly-trained policeman on his way back to his vehicle, who knows to look out for all kinds of hazards? What about tow truck drivers? They have to pull those big tow trucks over to the side of the road, which is hazardous enough, and then get out and try to get your car hooked up... it sounds incredibly dangerous. Why aren't they included? Or those guys mowing the lawn and clipping tree branches? Or construction workers? Right now you just have construction zones, but you're usually not slowed down to 20 mph below the prior speed limit. You certainly are not required to move over a lane for a construction worker walking along the shoulder or near to it.

And why 20 mph slower? If you're in a 25 mph zone, you have to slow down to almost idling. If this is the speed at which it's safe, then why is 25 mph a safe speed to pass a pulled-over cop in a 45 mph zone? And why is 45 mph not safe there, but it is on the interstate where the speed limit is originally 65 mph? How is it possible that, for safety's sake, in one area you must slow down to 45 mph but in another you have to go 5 mph? If there's a "safe speed" to pass, shouldn't it be universal? Shouldn't the law be something like "you must slow down to 30 mph or move over a lane," and obviously if that's the speed limit or if it's lower, you don't have to slow down at all?

Usually either line of questioning makes someone wonder wtf makes officers so special, and realize how absolutely moronic this law really is.

It *is* ticketing you for being impolite. If you clip someone, or cause damage to someone's property, because you're zipping past them and they are reasonably on the shoulder... you should have to answer for that. If you've done nothing, though, it's just another way to wring your wallet.

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Here is a thought

stop pulling people over on the side of the road

pace them
loud speaker telling them to take the next offramp
pull em over

done and done

Moot issue.

The next generation of OnStar and everfucking computer cars will be able to be taken over by cops with remotes and drive you straight to jail.

newyearsrevolution08
09-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Moot issue.

The next generation of OnStar and everfucking computer cars will be able to be taken over by cops with remotes and drive you straight to jail.

can't wait woohoo!

specsaregood
09-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Moot issue.

Geez man, don't give them any effing ideas. I'm glad you are on our side though. :)

Reminds me a soprano's episode, where Tony just got a new vehicle and made a point about having that GPS/onstar stuff ripped out. :)

KevinR
09-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah Maryland!!!

HOLLYWOOD
09-21-2010, 12:22 PM
You gotta love this bit Adam Carola... simple AWESOME!

YouTube - Adam Carolla Talks To Chicago Cop About The Los Angeles Police (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-pSfyH39a8)

Anti Federalist
09-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Geez man, don't give them any effing ideas. I'm glad you are on our side though. :)

Reminds me a soprano's episode, where Tony just got a new vehicle and made a point about having that GPS/onstar stuff ripped out. :)

Awesome.

Silvio Dante: "So, T, how's that new Suburban treating you?"

Tony Soprano: "Oh great Sil, now that I ripped all that OnStar shit out of it!"