PDA

View Full Version : Death of the Incandescent Light Bulb

FrankRep
09-20-2010, 02:07 PM
In response to the 2007 Energy Independence and Security Act, which bans the use of incandescent light bulbs by the year 2014, General Electric has shut down its last factory in the United States that makes the incandescent light bulb. by Raven Clabough

Death of the Incandescent Light Bulb (http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/politics/4646-death-of-the-incandescent-light-bulb)

Raven Clabough | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
20 September 2010

WaltM
09-20-2010, 03:05 PM
anti-CFL propaganda is just like all the anti-technology rhetoric, anti-paperless, anti-cashless, anti-automation, anti-mobile... people hate the technology that puts them out of business and they'll think up all kinds of excuses to demonize the new product.

Dr.3D
09-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Well, I guess I'll probably be one of the last to have incandescent light bulbs running in my home. Just bought a few cases of them to store in my basement. Should be enough to last me the rest of my life. The ones I especially wanted were those that fit into my chandelier. Those CFL bulbs don't work well with my dimmer.

WaltM
09-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Well, I guess I'll probably be one of the last to have incandescent light bulbs running in my home. Just bought a few cases of them to store in my basement. Should be enough to last me the rest of my life. The ones I especially wanted were those that fit into my chandelier. Those CFL bulbs don't work well with my dimmer.

nothing wrong with that.

Buy them while they're still available. if and when appliances start becoming incompatible, I imagine they'll get crap cheap (not just dirt cheap)

Dr.3D
09-20-2010, 03:26 PM
nothing wrong with that.

Buy them while they're still available. if and when appliances start becoming incompatible, I imagine they'll get crap cheap (not just dirt cheap)

I'm still trying to figure out how running a chandelier or any other form of lighting without using a dimmer is supposed to be saving money. Quite often, I run my lights turned way down with my dimmers so I can just see to get around. If I am forced to not use a dimmer, then I'll have to use a lot more electricity than I am now.

Vessol
09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
anti-CFL propaganda is just like all the anti-technology rhetoric, anti-paperless, anti-cashless, anti-automation, anti-mobile... people hate the technology that puts them out of business and they'll think up all kinds of excuses to demonize the new product.

The problem with your reasoning lies with the assumption that people don't want to buy incandescent light bulbs anymore.

Which couldn't be further from the truth. The death of the incandescent light bulbs is not due to lack of demand, but due to market regulations and economic control by the government.

My dislike has nothing to do with the product, but rather with the means that the product was forced on me.

Personally it sickens me.

Anti Federalist
09-20-2010, 03:28 PM

If modern day Luddism means smashing the technology that is on the brink of enslaving us all, then...call me a Luddite.

newyearsrevolution08
09-20-2010, 03:30 PM
cfl's are great for plants lol

they do have their perks however agree upon the fact that it should be market demands that either make or break a product. Makes you wonder how many other inventions or ideas were removed by a government throughout the world?

Are there more of these that got removed?

I know for the war effort we had to stop our gold mines and other mines but overall this is pretty sad that we let this shit continue.

Dr.3D
09-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Imagine how the theaters that use incandescent bulbs are going to suffer. How are they supposed to dim the lights on the stage? I used to run the lights back stage and there are banks of dimmers used to do that. I doubt there are any CFL bulbs that will take the place of the incandescent bulbs being used for that right now.

newyearsrevolution08
09-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Imagine how the theaters that use incandescent bulbs are going to suffer. How are they supposed to dim the lights on the stage? I used to run the lights back stage and there are banks of dimmers used to do that. I doubt there are any CFL bulbs that will take the place of the incandescent bulbs being used for that right now.

odds are simply have lower wattage cfl's or some sort of "cover" to reduce the light itself.

they will think of something i'm sure,

have the light bulb companies thrown a fit yet or are they getting paid off by the government to just step aside?

WaltM
09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how running a chandelier or any other form of lighting without using a dimmer is supposed to be saving money.

I'm trying to understand who who uses a chandelier could be thinking about saving money, or electricity.

Quite often, I run my lights turned way down with my dimmers so I can just see to get around.

the only other thing I can suggest, is small lights and lamps for those purposes.

If I am forced to not use a dimmer, then I'll have to use a lot more electricity than I am now.

understood.

WaltM
09-20-2010, 03:42 PM
The problem with your reasoning lies with the assumption that people don't want to buy incandescent light bulbs anymore.

Nope, I don't assume that.

If people still bought them as often or more today, the market would demand they stay.

Which couldn't be further from the truth. The death of the incandescent light bulbs is not due to lack of demand, but due to market regulations and economic control by the government.

oh really?

My dislike has nothing to do with the product, but rather with the means that the product was forced on me.

Personally it sickens me.

nobody's forcing you to buy CFL now, you can stock up, and nobody owes you incandescent at any price, so buy them as much as you can afford and don't complain you can't get the price you want.

WaltM
09-20-2010, 03:43 PM

i can't imagine them completely gone, just less and less.

the same with cameras and microphones, some places that demand it will still have them, at a different cost.

WaltM
09-20-2010, 03:44 PM
odds are simply have lower wattage cfl's or some sort of "cover" to reduce the light itself.

they will think of something i'm sure,

have the light bulb companies thrown a fit yet or are they getting paid off by the government to just step aside?

why does it have to be either?

Anti Federalist
09-20-2010, 03:49 PM
i can't imagine them completely gone, just less and less.

The way federal law stands right now, they will be illegal for sale in 2014.

WaltM
09-20-2010, 03:50 PM

4 years? plenty of time to stock up.

Dr.3D
09-20-2010, 03:51 PM

I guess Broadway will be buying a huge stock of bulbs between now and then.

Vessol
09-20-2010, 03:54 PM

That's not the problem.

The problem is the fact that the government is FORCING manufactures to not produce a product.

I personally don't really give a shit about what lightbulb I'm using, if it lights my room, that's all I care about.

However I DO care about what the government forces the private market to do and not to do. It sets a deadly precedent for future central planning decisions.

WaltM
09-20-2010, 03:56 PM
That's not the problem.

The problem is the fact that the government is FORCING manufactures to not produce a product.

I personally don't really give a shit about what lightbulb I'm using, if it lights my room, that's all I care about.

However I DO care about what the government forces the private market to do and not to do. It sets a deadly precedent for future central planning decisions.

what would ever justify forcing a manufacturer to not produce something ?

Dr.3D
09-20-2010, 03:57 PM
what would ever justify forcing a manufacturer to not produce something ?

The market is supposed to be what forces manufacturers out of business, not the government.

Anti Federalist
09-20-2010, 03:58 PM

Already done.

Not the point.

What right does government have to say I can't buy or use one?

WaltM
09-20-2010, 03:59 PM
The market is supposed to be what forces manufacturers out of business, not the government.

I dont entirely agree, even if I do in the case of lightbulbs, I believe certain things are not up for the market's decision if they're self destructive, socially irresponsible, or threat to national security.

WaltM
09-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Already done.

Not the point.

What right does government have to say I can't buy or use one?

I got more important freedoms to complain about than a lightbulb choice, have fun.

Vessol
09-20-2010, 04:01 PM
I got more important freedoms to complain about than a lightbulb choice, have fun.

I don't think I've seen you once complaining about anything. Rather it's you just going into threads, trolling the fuck out of them and then fleeing before the banhammer comes down on you.

WaltM
09-20-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't think I've seen you once complaining about anything.

not everything is appropriate to complain here about, I can tell you in private if you're so interested

Rather it's you just going into threads, trolling the fuck out of them and then fleeing before the banhammer comes down on you.

uhhhh....??

Dr.3D
09-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I dont entirely agree, even if I do in the case of lightbulbs, I believe certain things are not up for the market's decision if they're self destructive, socially irresponsible, or threat to national security.

Oh, so the government gets to decide what is self destructive or socially irresponsible? I agree, they can probably decide what may be a threat to national security, but they are stretching it if they say incandescent libht bulbs are a threat to national security.

I can just hear the government now.... "tobacco use is self destructive and socially irresponsible"..... "marijuana use is self destructive and socially irresponsible", ban them now. Oh wait... they already did the second of those two.

WaltM
09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Oh, so the government gets to decide what is self destructive or socially irresponsible?

sometimes, yes.

or, somebody decides, they enforce it.

I agree, they can probably decide what may be a threat to national security, but they are stretching it if they say incandescent libht bulbs are a threat to national security.

that's a funny stretch.

I can just hear the government now.... "tobacco use is self destructive and socially irresponsible"..... "marijuana use is self destructive and socially irresponsible", ban them now. Oh wait... they already did the second of those two.

yep.

the only reason tobacco is still legal is because there's more money made keeping it legal. drug war is currently keeping the government profitable, but over time they'll give in somehow to compromise.

NYgs23
09-20-2010, 04:09 PM

This is a silly argument. Just because you think the consequences of prohibiting incandescent bulbs are minor doesn't change the principle that it's an act of aggression. It's still unjust. And who decides which freedoms are "important" and which ones are "unimportant"?

If you're so convinced that incandescent lightbulbs are obsolete than you should allow them to compete and possibly die out in the voluntary marketplace.

WaltM
09-20-2010, 04:15 PM
This is a silly argument. Just because you think the consequences of prohibiting incandescent bulbs are minor doesn't change the principle that it's an act of aggression. It's still unjust.

No, it changes it to me, it's not aggression against me if I doesn't matter or hurt me.

It's not unjust if I don't think it is.

And who decides which freedoms are "important" and which ones are "unimportant"?

the same people who decide what's for lunch and how many kids to have, whoever wants to.

If you're so convinced that incandescent lightbulbs are obsolete than you should allow them to compete and possibly die out in the voluntary marketplace.

so by your logic, everything, no matter how obvious, must be left for people to decide on their own, even if they're easily proven wrong?

why then, would you be opposed to democracy and bailouts, after all, arent they what the markets demand?

Vessol
09-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Oh wow, you used the argument for a free market to try to justify State interventionism :rolleyes:

WaltM
09-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Oh wow, you used the argument for a free market to try to justify State interventionism :rolleyes:

the price of freedom is you don't always get what you want, and some are more honest to admit that.

Vessol
09-20-2010, 04:20 PM
the price of freedom is you don't always get what you want, and some are more honest to admit that.

War is Peace.
Slavery is Freedom.
Ignorance is Strength.

Double-think is fun!

FrankRep
09-20-2010, 04:25 PM

Freedom is being able to start your own Incandescent Light Bulb company.

NYgs23
09-20-2010, 04:25 PM
...it's not aggression against me if I doesn't matter or hurt me.

So you don't care about it as long as it doesn't affect you? What about acts of violence towards others? Besides, it does affect you in that it weakens the rule of law and expands the power and pelf of the state, making it more likely that it will committ acts of violence against you in the future.

It's not unjust if I don't think it is.

So if you don't think rape and torture is unjust, it's therefore just? Such moral subjectivism renders impossible a rational foundation for ethics.

the same people who decide what's for lunch and how many kids to have, whoever wants to.

All freedoms are important, as they are all rooted in the human being's absolute sovereignty over his mind, body, and property.

so by your logic, everything, no matter how obvious, must be left for people to decide on their own, even if they're easily proven wrong?

The individual must have absolute dominion over his own mind, body, and property, provided he does infringe on another individual's absolute dominion over his mind, body, and property. Even if you think he's doing the wrong thing with his property--even if he is doing the wrong thing with his property--he still has the right to do it, so long as he doesn't violate the rights of others.

why then, would you be opposed to democracy and bailouts, after all, arent they what the markets demand?

State democratic rule and state bailouts involve acts of aggression by some people against other people, in violation of their rights over their minds, bodies, and property.

Dr.3D
09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Freedom is being able to start your own Incandescent Light Bulb company.

Well, according to WaltM, you best check with the government to make sure it is okay with them before you do.

Matt Collins
03-11-2011, 02:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hojEjXnuYxA&feature=player_embedded

Zippyjuan
03-11-2011, 03:28 PM
I don't think you can name much in technology which has lasted in its basic form as long as the incadescent lightbulb has. It is really quite amazing. Just a filament which glows when electricty is passed thorugh it. Here in San Diego is an historic landmark hotel- the Hotel Del Coronado. The largest all wood hotel on the West Coast. It was opened in 1887 and Thomas Edison himself came out to help install the first electrical lights in California. Lacking electricity at the time, they also had to build and install generators. While I have not personally seen it, there is allegedly one of his original bulbs still burning inside the building (it is never turned off which would shorten its lifespan).

HOLLYWOOD
03-11-2011, 03:35 PM
I don't think you can name much in technology which has lasted in its basic form as long as the incandescent light-bulb has. It is really quite amazing. Just a filament which glows when electricity is passed through it. Here in San Diego is an historic landmark hotel- the Hotel Del Coronado. The largest all wood hotel on the West Coast. It was opened in 1887 and Thomas Edison himself came out to help install the first electrical lights in California. Lacking electricity at the time, they also had to build and install generators. While I have not personally seen it, there is allegedly one of his original bulbs still burning inside the building (it is never turned off which would shorten its lifespan).

http://www.centennialbulb.org/ Livermore, CA Light Bulb burning for almost 110 years.(except for power outages and moving to the new firehouse)

http://www.centennialbulb.org/images/ctbulb1.jpg

Bulb 110 Year Countdown!
Okay folks. Here it is. The official countdown until the Centennial Bulb's 110th birthday Party!

Saturday, June 18th, 2011. Mark your calendars!