PDA

View Full Version : T-Mobile censoring txt messages about marijuana

Matt Collins
09-20-2010, 01:20 PM
"A mobile-marketing company claimed Friday it would go out of business unless a federal judge orders T-Mobile to stop blocking its text-messaging service, the first case testing whether wireless providers can block text messages they don't like. EZ Texting claims T-Mobile blocked the company from sending text messages for all of its clients after learning that legalmarijuanadispensary.com, an EZ Texting client, was using its service to send texts about legal medical marijuana dispensaries in California. 'T-Mobile subjectively did not approve of one of the thousands of lawful businesses and non-profits served by EZ Texting,' according to New York federal lawsuit."

SOURCE:
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/09/18/1244230/T-Mobile-Facing-Lawsuit-Over-Text-Message-Censorship?from=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Slashdot/slashdotYourRightsOnline+(Slashdot:+Your+Rights+On line)

youngbuck
09-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Stupid assholes, and my T-Mobile signal has really taken a nosedive over the past couple weeks. Might have to switch to a different carrier.

Anti Federalist
09-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Hey, but you signed up for it, you knew they could do what they wanted with "their" network, why you crying now?

Corporate tyranny is just as bad as government tyranny.

youngbuck
09-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Cause I needs me a cellular.

Fox McCloud
09-20-2010, 01:40 PM
if T-Mobile specified in the contract they can block a message for whatever reason or for offensive things (and they specify what those offensive things are), then well...you signed up for it and agreed to the contract; deal with it. That said, if there is no such language in the contract and they pulled something like this, they should get their butts sued.

I wouldn't be surprised if T-Mobile is doing this just because they're scared the government could single them out, in the future.

dannno
09-20-2010, 01:55 PM
if T-Mobile specified in the contract they can block a message for whatever reason or for offensive things (and they specify what those offensive things are), then well...you signed up for it and agreed to the contract; deal with it. That said, if there is no such language in the contract and they pulled something like this, they should get their butts sued.

I wouldn't be surprised if T-Mobile is doing this just because they're scared the government could single them out, in the future.

It's more of an issue about the FCC and lack of true competition among cell phone providers... I mean, obviously they have private property rights, but like AF said corporate tyranny can be just as bad as govt. tyranny, but specifically when corporations control government.

Fox McCloud
09-20-2010, 02:05 PM
It's more of an issue about the FCC and lack of true competition among cell phone providers... I mean, obviously they have private property rights, but like AF said corporate tyranny can be just as bad as govt. tyranny, but specifically when corporations control government.

well sure, but I was talking more within the existing framework of our current system. If you get down to the nitty-gritty, the FCC is a giant cog that is turned by a number of rather large telcos, cabelcos,and cellcos; it's a relic of the 1920's and a further proof that Herbert Hoover wasn't a conservative. The combination of this department with state and local regulations+monopolies is what has effectively stifled telcom competition in the past 100 years.

Heck, the airwaves are all technically owned by the government; they auction of the rights to use them, periodically, to various companies...so much for Lockean Homesteading.

IIRC, AT&T is discussed, a bit, here: YouTube - Anti-Trust and Monopoly (with Ron Paul) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4gRRk2i-M&fmt=18)

Fredom101
09-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey, but you signed up for it, you knew they could do what they wanted with "their" network, why you crying now?

Corporate tyranny is just as bad as government tyranny.

If government didn't exist, there would be far more than just the few cell phone carriers there are now. It's all a big mess of corporatism caused by government interference. F T Mobile, F AT&T, F Verizon, F them all!

Anti Federalist
09-20-2010, 02:31 PM

Corporations are creations of government that have come back to own the creators, like a worthless adult kid that won't get out of the house at 35 years old.

I'm not at all interested in creating a nationwide corporate "Rochester" where everybody has to live in the company housing, shop in the company store and forced to attend the company church just because "contract law" says I must.

Unless and until such time as a true free market system is in place, I say a corporation has no right to dictate any form of behavior or limit any rights unless I am directly employed by them and on the company's dime.

If I'm on my time, they can pound salt sideways.

HOLLYWOOD
09-20-2010, 02:33 PM
"Terms of Agreement"... They (T-Mobile, etc) take your money and your texts. :rolleyes:
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/dcs3000_logo_580-tbn.jpgAND... the TELCOS have IMMUNITY... FISA and Patriot Acts see to it that the Fascist/Corporatists work hand n hand to control you.

So did T-Mobile get the filter software from the FBI's DSC-XXXX or NSA's HW/SW?

I love bringing up how the government and their partners in crime (TELCOs) routes data to themselves.

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2007/08/wiretap

WaltM
09-20-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm glad its not done by the government and we have a choice to switch carriers, HURRAY FOR FREE MARKET!

BuddyRey
09-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Boycott T-Mobile.

libertythor
09-20-2010, 10:35 PM
If you use T-mobile, Cricket would probably be a right match for you because T-mobile's coverage is sparse in many rural areas, while AT&T and Verizon tend to have more universal coverage.

Promontorium
09-21-2010, 12:41 AM
I may be wrong but this sounds like spam advertising is being blocked. If so, then I'm glad they're
stopped. If not, then arrghh with my pitchfork!