PDA

View Full Version : Haley Barbour made a great point last night at Rand's fundraiser...

thomas-in-ky
09-20-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm paraphrasing, but his point was "Kentucky polls close fairly early, and it is entirely possible that if Rand wins by a big enough margin, the news stations will call the race in time to affect voter turnout in the western states." (Translation - a Randslide could have ripple effects all the way to the Pacific time zone on Nov. 2nd)

He wasn't taking a victory for granted - he said anything could happen in the next few weeks. Basically it boils down to voter turnout in midterm elections. 70% of the voters that turned out in the presidential race will turnout for this race... the important thing is which 70% turns out? His other quote was "the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing." (he attributed this quote to his friend who was founder and/or CEO of FedEx). By that quote he meant, ignore the talk about 2012... this is 2010 and these elections are very important... more important than 1994 he said. Save the talk about 2012 until Nov. 2nd is in the bag (and go ahead and give your money for the 2010 race!)

Bunning gave a pretty stunning re-endorsement of Rand Paul last night too. He re-iterated the reason he endorsed Rand in the primary... He said Rand will vote how he believes... not how someone tells him to vote. He mentioned Ron Paul as a rare example of someone who votes his true beliefs every single time he votes.

sailingaway
09-20-2010, 11:16 AM
I've read Haley's theory elsewhere and it explains why both the Dem o/s groups and the GOP still are spending in Kentucky, although that may not last if Boxer starts dipping more in polls etc. The Dems don't just care if Rand wins, WHEN he wins, they want it to be a 'little' win they can blame on a 'wave year' (forgetting that he helped drive the wave.) If he does better than other candidates or the vote is called early, it WILL generate enthusiasm for other voters in other states. It particularly could energize Nevada.

Aratus
09-20-2010, 11:23 AM
indeedy does it behoove us all to really back JOHN DENNIS to the hilt despite what
Ms. CEO whitman and Jerry Brown do in THEIR governor's mansion california race?

low preference guy
09-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Bunning gave a pretty stunning re-endorsement of Rand Paul last night too. He re-iterated the reason he endorsed Rand in the primary... He said Rand will vote how he believes... not how someone tells him to vote. He mentioned Ron Paul as a rare example of someone who votes his true beliefs every single time he votes.

nice recognition.

TheDriver
09-20-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm paraphrasing, but his point was "Kentucky polls close fairly early, and it is entirely possible that if Rand wins by a big enough margin, the news stations will call the race in time to affect voter turnout in the western states." (Translation - a Randslide could have ripple effects all the way to the Pacific time zone on Nov. 2nd)

He wasn't taking a victory for granted - he said anything could happen in the next few weeks. Basically it boils down to voter turnout in midterm elections. 70% of the voters that turned out in the presidential race will turnout for this race... the important thing is which 70% turns out? His other quote was "the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing." (he attributed this quote to his friend who was founder and/or CEO of FedEx). By that quote he meant, ignore the talk about 2012... this is 2010 and these elections are very important... more important than 1994 he said. Save the talk about 2012 until Nov. 2nd is in the bag (and go ahead and give your money for the 2010 race!)

got it! :D

Matt Collins
09-20-2010, 12:12 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs581.snc3/30642_1482707587201_1219186155_31377312_2233558_n. jpg

Matt Collins
09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Last time I think the AP called it 1.5-2hours hours after the polls closed.

thomas-in-ky
09-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Last time I think the AP called it 1.5-2hours hours after the polls closed.

So Haley is right... people driving home from work in NV, AZ, CA, etc. could hear about the Randslide on the radio, and spontaneously decide to stop by the polls to be part of a historic event. We have got to drive this thing home. To the hilt! Let's give Conway the whole nine yards in KY! :D

FWIW, I'm going on a Randpage this week. I'll be putting up lots of Rand signs on major routes in our county. I'll try to take pics to post.

Matt Collins
09-20-2010, 07:03 PM
FWIW, I'm going on a Randpage this week. I'll be putting up lots of Rand signs on major routes in our county. I'll try to take pics to post.
I'd love to join you on that! :cool:

ljwestmcsd
09-20-2010, 07:12 PM
The polls close at 6pm in Indiana as well, and they have more area in the Eastern Time thanks to the elimination of Standard Time.
There are times when the election is called before the polls close in Western Kentucky, but most of the times they wait until 7pm ET because of that.
Absentee voting started today in Louisville.