PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the Nov. 5 idea.

mannycp
10-17-2007, 06:32 PM
this is Reply to
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=26128

too much debating going on, the Nov. 5 idea is a good one. But, if the people don't like it we can stop it, like ITSTIME said. I'll make a poll. if people don't like it, then we should stop it..

http://www.thisnovember5th.com/

werdd
10-17-2007, 06:35 PM
should make it the october 30th.... then it would be badass

mannycp
10-17-2007, 06:41 PM
bump

paulitics
10-17-2007, 06:48 PM
no, its completely unrealistic. Why make goals we can't achieve, and that interefere with the more modest ones we currently have and aren't achieving.

mannycp
10-17-2007, 06:50 PM
no, its completely unrealistic. Why make goals we can't achieve, and that interefere with the more modest ones we currently have and aren't achieving.

You wouldn't donate $100 on Nov. 5????????????

paulitics
10-17-2007, 06:56 PM
You wouldn't donate $100 on Nov. 5

no because im donating it now, because we have a goal in front of us that we aren't achieving. And there is no way that 100,000 people are going to sign up for this to donate for 1 day, not even close. Does anyone do the math? we did not even have 100,000 individual donors for the entire quarter, with the Ron Paul website, email reminders, cards, and several fundraising competitions.....the entire campaign behind it.

How about a reasonable goal, like 4 million for the month. When we reach this goal, we can rasie the bar.

Ridiculous
10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
I hope Ron Takes in a billion dollars 11/5 and every other day. But the whole idea of associating Paul and his supporters with V for Vendetta is fucking moronic. What a bad PR idea.

This person sums it up pretty well:

I don't really know how to convince people that your average American doesn't look kindly upon violent revolutions in the year 2007. Most people don't know what happened during the Revolutionary war, the guerrilla tactics used, etc. and think a bunch of guys whose names they can't remember met up in Philadelphia and wrote up the Constitution and bill of rights as they are now.

But most people do know that Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman were in a movie called V for Vendetta, whose charismatic, mildly psychotic anti-hero was persecuted by a totalitarian, Nazi-styled (in the movie, anyways) government, and reacted to his long history of abuse through vendetta murder and, in the end, suicide terrorism. This is not the kind of victim complex we want people to see Ron Paul supporters as having.

I know, I know, Thomas Jefferson said the tree of liberty must be refreshed by the blood of patriots from time to time, etc. etc., but that's just not the framework your average voter is operating in.

But whatever, everyone do what they want to do, just think about your actions and how they reflect on the candidate you're trying to support.

I'll give 100 bucks on November 5th, and I hope he raises a mil in one day. That would rock.

partypooper
10-17-2007, 07:04 PM
I hope Ron Takes in a billion dollars 11/5 and every other day. But the whole idea of associating Paul and his supporters with V for Vendetta is fucking moronic. What a bad PR idea.

agreed. besides, i thought the movie was very adolescent.

in fact, i am not thrilled with the strategy of how 'young people' like RP. i think that most conservatives tend to think that young people are foolish and i am not sure that emphasis on young supporters will help RP case.

austin356
10-17-2007, 07:07 PM
I wish the goal was 50,000 x $100 though.

Its more realistic.

I pledge my participation anyways, even though I have a negative balance right now.

I swear I will hunt you down and hurt you if I get any spam in my box though!!!

ItsTime
10-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Agreed the goal should be much lower 500k would be great. Since there were only 35k total donors last q

I wish the goal was 50,000 x $100 though.

Its more realistic.

I pledge my participation anyways, even though I have a negative balance right now.

Ridiculous
10-17-2007, 07:14 PM
agreed. besides, i thought the movie was very adolescent.

I actually kind of liked the movie. But as we aggree it has no place in a political campaign.

And I am no pacifist just waiting to idly sit buy and let America become some facist state, look at the quote in my sig. But you have to think about marketing a campaign here.

Ron Paul and his supporters shouldn't be associated with people blowing shit up. Symbolic or not.

Associating Ron Paul with Guy Fawkes and V will just make supporters look like the kooks that some people are trying to make us out to be. While it might seem cool to people who are a little younger, people over 30 or so will think it is pretty foolish.

mannycp
10-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Could we have someone put the
http://www.thisnovember5th.com/ website link on the home page of this forum?

paulitics
10-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Agreed the goal should be much lower 500k would be great. Since there were only 35k total donors last q

or how about 5,000 donors. I think that is a realistic, yet still challenging goal. That would be a 500,000 boost.

All in all, I think the whole thing is counterproductive, and will interfere with October's goals. Its going to make people lose focus on the goal in front of them.

ChicagoLawyer
10-17-2007, 07:23 PM
The 5th of November is a British holiday celebrating the capture of a Catholic wanabee terrorist. I know the movie tries to turn this narrative on its head, but it's just a semi-memorable movie to most people that happened to kind of involve the Guy Fawks story. Anyway, most Americans have no idea what the 5th of November refers to, movie or not. The event might as well be Nov. 4, or Nov. 6.

Let's just get out there and knock on doors for Ron Paul.

Ridiculous
10-17-2007, 07:29 PM
On a side note, Ron Paul sort of looks like the bad guy from V for Vendetta..... Ian McKellen's character. Same guy that played Magneto in X-Men.

jjschless
10-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Short and sweet.

I am all for any gimmick that gets people to donate money. And if we can generate press coverage, even better.

Bluedevil
10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
As long as people are giving money, I could care less what day it comes on. If the day November 5th motivates more people to give money--then great.

Brinck Slattery
10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Sorry to post this repeatedly, but here are the reasons why this is a bad idea (actually, not a bad idea, just an idea that needs to be moved to an earlier date):

I agree with the original poster on this thread for three major reasons.

1. As I said before, I believe that associating the Ron Paul campaign with "V for Vendetta" or Guy Fawkes is a foolish choice that will only hurt us in the eyes of the public. It is an appeal to violent extremism, which is antithetical what Dr. Paul stands for.

2. Many states are in the process of moving their primaries to an earlier date. New Hampshire may have theirs as early as December, which will prompt Iowa to move theirs to 8-11 days before New Hampshire's, which will prompt all the other early primary states to move theirs forward as well. This will only hurt the campaign - we're still trying to educate the public, not only about Ron Paul's platform, but about the very fact that he exists. Everyone on this board probably qualifies as a political junkie - we know what's going on. Most people don't. Most people haven't been scouring youtube, watching the debates, and carefully following the primary process. The only way to get the word out is through grassroots activism (which is good) and mainstream TV and radio ads (which are ESSENTIAL). Ad time isn't cheap. The campaign may have 5 million dollars in the bank, but they can spend a big chunk of that just purchasing ad time in Iowa and New Hampshire, and those aren't even major media markets. To get the message disseminated as quickly as possible, the campaign needs money NOW. Not in a few weeks, not on some symbolic date, NOW.

3. The other candidates plan to use the earlier primaries to their advantage. Look at how they're spending their money - like drunken sailors! Why? Because they know that if they can blast their name out there as loud as possible in the few short months we have until the primaries, they will stay at the forefront of media attention, and therefore the attention of the voting public. The other campaigns already have the media on their side to a certain extent, and if we allow them to be successful the noise from their campaigns may drown out our message.

Because the groundwork has already been laid for this fundraising effort, I think it would be great to keep it going, but to move the date up.

I would propose that we make the donation date October 25th. Make it a new holiday. Call it Freedom Day, and celebrate the inaugural of this new holiday by donating 100 dollars.

I can't stress enough how important it is to get money to the campaign as soon as possible. I'm not trying to be obnoxious or frustrate the hard work of those who have gotten the ball rolling on this project, but I hope you can see how it may hurt the campaign rather than helping.

Derek Johnson
10-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Quit ninnying. It's a worthy goal. The math suggests that nearly 100,000 people have already donated to Ron.

It would reasonable to say that if those 100,000 give or take, all donated 100 give or take on 11-5, the goal may be close, if not exceeded.

Promote it.

Do it.

Derek Johnson
10-17-2007, 08:58 PM
FYI, movies are fake.

The North American Union and Amero currency are not.

Quit worry about image from other.

Worry about action, or lack thereof from YOU.

The answer is in the mirror.

brumans
10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
People take this movie too literally.

It's a MOVIE, it's supposed to be fun.

Leslie Webb
10-17-2007, 09:12 PM
I haven't seen the movie. I will give $100 in October and $100 on Nov. 5th.

mannycp
10-17-2007, 09:16 PM
I haven't seen the movie. I will give $100 in October and $100 on Nov. 5th.

thank you

Paul4Prez
10-17-2007, 09:45 PM
To each his (or her) own.

If V for Vendetta gets a bunch of people to donate $100 who otherwise wouldn't have, go for it dudes.

work2win
10-17-2007, 10:47 PM
How about a comprimise. We roll with the Nov. 5th date as planned, but we trash that promotional video with all the Vendetta references. I've already seen a different Nov 5th video that had no references to the movie and was just as motivating. Only positive RP stuff in that one.

It would make it much harder for the media to associate the date chosen with that movie.

mannycp
10-17-2007, 11:03 PM
bump

work2win
10-18-2007, 03:32 AM
I should add that I really like the idea to organize a mass donation on one day. It's fun, it's exciting, and it gets people motivated to donate more than they would normally.

What I'm not too keen on is the Vendetta associations.

SwordOfShannarah
10-18-2007, 01:58 PM
I swear I will hunt you down and hurt you if I get any spam in my box though!!!

Oh REALLY?

Well when you can take a moment to stop acting so big and tough go to http://www.RonPaulMeetUpVideos.com (another site I run) and tell me where you find the spam.. or even ONE AD for that matter.

Mikakaze
10-18-2007, 02:02 PM
why do we need another thread on this? if you like the idea, great...if not, then ignore it. pretty simple.

Ridiculous
10-18-2007, 02:02 PM
How about a comprimise. We roll with the Nov. 5th date as planned, but we trash that promotional video with all the Vendetta references. I've already seen a different Nov 5th video that had no references to the movie and was just as motivating. Only positive RP stuff in that one.

It would make it much harder for the media to associate the date chosen with that movie.

Yes, do that.

DjLoTi
10-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Who cares? If we can get lots of people to donate money, why stop them? Promote the shit out of this if it works... !!!!

Adam Smith
10-18-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm doing it. It's a totally fantastic idea.

I'm a 36 year old mom of two who's voted Republican all her life. It's time to stop worrying about whether it's going to freak out traditional Republicans. Anybody who would be afraid of V for Vendetta or the Guy Fawkes association wouldn't bother to research the 'why' behind our actions anyway.

Don't be afraid of what other people think is 'right.' Just do what you know in your heart IS right.

mannycp
10-18-2007, 02:44 PM

I'm a 36 year old mom of two who's voted Republican all her life. It's time to stop worrying about whether it's going to freak out traditional Republicans. Anybody who would be afraid of V for Vendetta or the Guy Fawkes association wouldn't bother to research the 'why' behind our actions anyway.

Don't be afraid of what other people think is 'right.' Just do what you know in your heart IS right.

I agree.

mannycp
10-18-2007, 02:56 PM
http://www.thisnovember5th.com/

Eric21ND
10-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Short and sweet.

I am all for any gimmick that gets people to donate money. And if we can generate press coverage, even better.

Exactly! Even if we only raise a million who cares? :)

Eric21ND
10-18-2007, 03:10 PM

Well said Chappie. I'm down for $100 in Oct and another $100 on Nov 5th.

Danny Molina
10-18-2007, 03:21 PM
I fucking love it!

mannycp
10-18-2007, 11:06 PM

Travis
10-18-2007, 11:27 PM
Everyone needs to calm down. If we can pull this off, It will be a day that no one will forget. We are going to raise a shit load of money is a very small amount of time. Who cares what day its on, at least there is a day picked.

UCFGavin
10-18-2007, 11:30 PM
any kind of fundraising ideas are good as long as they aren't attacking anyone else.