PDA

View Full Version : The Most Important Bill that Ron Has Passed?

AMack
10-17-2007, 06:32 PM
My buddy is doing a paper on RP for a poli sci class, and he is curious about the bills that Ron has sponsored, that were passed in congress.

So my question is this: what would you guys consider RP's most important bill that was passed?

I realize that its tough being a libertarian republican in the house, so a lot of Ron's legislation never goes through, but i at least need something to give to him.

A

kylejack
10-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Look for a recent article that quoted Rachel Mills talking about his "legislative accomplishments".

AMack
10-17-2007, 06:36 PM
on LewRockwell?

kylejack
10-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Mainstream Media. Washington Post, New York Times, Washington Times, something like that.

Harald
10-17-2007, 06:41 PM
FOR RELEASE:
October 15, 1999

Dick Armey salutes Ron Paul
Says "good riddance" to the National ID

WASHINGTON, DC -- House majority leader Dick Armey (R, TX) on Thursday offered his congratulations to US Rep. Ron Paul for his leadership in passing legislation to stop a National ID from taking effect next year.

"This is a classic victory of freedom over "Big Brother." Because we acted quickly, no American will have to carry a National ID Card," Rep. Armey said in a statement Thursday. Last week, the House of Representatives passed the Transportation Appropriation for the fiscal year 2000. The measure included the repeal of a 1996 law which would have created a national ID, requiring that after Oct. 1, 1999, no American without such an ID would be allowed to board an airplane, purchase a handgun, receive federal benefits or get a job.

http://www.house.gov/paul/press/press99/pr101599.htm

jaumen
10-17-2007, 06:46 PM
FOR RELEASE:
October 15, 1999

Dick Armey salutes Ron Paul
Says "good riddance" to the National ID

WASHINGTON, DC -- House majority leader Dick Armey (R, TX) on Thursday offered his congratulations to US Rep. Ron Paul for his leadership in passing legislation to stop a National ID from taking effect next year.

"This is a classic victory of freedom over "Big Brother." Because we acted quickly, no American will have to carry a National ID Card," Rep. Armey said in a statement Thursday. Last week, the House of Representatives passed the Transportation Appropriation for the fiscal year 2000. The measure included the repeal of a 1996 law which would have created a national ID, requiring that after Oct. 1, 1999, no American without such an ID would be allowed to board an airplane, purchase a handgun, receive federal benefits or get a job.

http://www.house.gov/paul/press/press99/pr101599.htm

Isn't this basically the same thing that is going on now with the REAL ID?

Matt
10-17-2007, 07:52 PM
This is from his Wikipedia page.

"By successfully amending other legislation, he has also barred International Criminal Court jurisdiction over the U.S. military (2002), American participation in any U.N. "global tax" (2005), and surveillance on peaceful First-Amendment activities by citizens (2006)."

I'd say the UN one is the most important.

bbachtung
10-17-2007, 08:21 PM

Yes. But the big differences are that the President is now a Republican and 9/11. That's why the Republican leadership thinks that the REAL ID is a good thing.

Bradley in DC
10-17-2007, 09:37 PM
I asked a friend in an unidentified Congressional office ;) your question and got this response:

Here's some accomplishments that come to mind, also check out last week's Politico story on Dr. Paul (I think it was last Wednesday):

1. Thanks to RP we do not have a uniform medical identifier

2. Thanks to RP we do not have UN taxes*

3. RP was a leader in the successful battle to not subject American Troops to the
International Criminal Court*

4. RP lead the effort to get language in No Child Behind prohibiting national teacher
tests.

5. Ron introduced the first term limits bill ever introduced, thus setting the stage for
the term limits movement

6. Ron introduced the first armed pilots bill after 9-11* A modified version of this bill
pass Congress and Ron continues to work on the issue.

7. Ron passed an amendment to the PATRIOT Act explicitly protecting political activity.

RP4ME
10-17-2007, 09:43 PM
%Thanks you Bradley that is a Beautiful list!

Bradley in DC
10-17-2007, 10:09 PM

That question is SOOO pre-9/11 :rolleyes:

Bradley in DC
10-17-2007, 10:14 PM
%Thanks you Bradley that is a Beautiful list!

My pleasure. It didn't include the Church Protection Act which passed as an amendment on the House floor (died in the Senate) to prohibit the use of federal Community Development Block Grant funds for eminent domain to take over a church where the church didn't want to go. (that was mine :) )