PDA

View Full Version : Gun-Carrying Neighbors Save Women From Dog Attack

The Freethinker
09-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Second Amendment citizens save a woman's life (http://www.ktvu.com/news/24973101/detail.html)

amy31416
09-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Jesus, that sounds like a really horrible attack. I hope the owner of those dogs is dealt some justice (if there is an owner) for leaving them loose and/or keeping dogs that vicious.

Thank god those guys were good shots.

brandon
09-20-2010, 09:17 AM
So how long until the shooters face criminal charges for discharging a weapon in a residential area?

Nate-ForLiberty
09-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Dalson remained hospitalized Saturday, reportedly facing some paralysis because of the attack, which could end her career as a dental hygienist.

:eek:

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-20-2010, 11:30 AM
This neighborhood looks ripe for some door hangers.

specsaregood
09-20-2010, 11:35 AM
So how long until the shooters face criminal charges for discharging a weapon in a residential area?

Excellent question.

Fortunately, Paquet came out of his house armed with his Walther PPK Handgun.

But as the other two dogs continued their assault, Paquet's gun jammed. Just then, two other women came running up the street and the two dogs went after them. One of the women was pregnant.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the Walther PPK though, eh?

Anti Federalist
09-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Excellent question.

Primary carry should be a wheelgun.

Danke
09-20-2010, 12:09 PM

I'll stick with my semi-autos. More rounds and very quick to reload.

Just keep it clean and use the proper ammo.

And I can clear a jam quickly.

youngbuck
09-20-2010, 01:15 PM

My Glock has less parts than your wheelgun ;):D

Danke
09-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Yeah, but it probably isn't as shiny.

phill4paul
09-20-2010, 01:42 PM

I heartily endorse this sentiment.

Southron
09-20-2010, 02:34 PM
One of these days I'm gonna get a full size DA revolver.

Right now I'm carrying a 1911 most of the time.

I have a Model 60 but I really don't like most DA action triggers so I may have someone do work on it when I get one.

I've been looking at either a GP100 or 686.

Pericles
09-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Walthers have to be fastidiously maintained. I was a fan back in the '80s, and everyday carry is a P5.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/9mmammo.jpg

The Freethinker
09-20-2010, 02:53 PM
One of these days I'm gonna get a full size DA revolver.

Right now I'm carrying a 1911 most of the time.

I have a Model 60 but I really don't like most DA action triggers so I may have someone do work on it when I get one.

Am ITCHING to hit the range and get some target practice. Had way too many errands over the weekend to do so.

I will try to go on a weeknight this week. I'm fortunate this range is open until 8:30PM.

Anti Federalist
09-20-2010, 03:38 PM

If I'm in the shit thick enough that six rounds won't solve the problem, then I'm in shit deeper than what I want to be in with nothing more than handgun.

:cool:

Pericles
09-20-2010, 06:14 PM
If I'm in the shit thick enough that six rounds won't solve the problem, then I'm in shit deeper than what I want to be in with nothing more than handgun.

:cool:

Yes, in that case, I need to grab one of these off the pile.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/pile.jpg

Anti Federalist
09-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Yes, in that case, I need to grab one of these off the pile.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/pile.jpg

My Go To Rifle:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jGpQ0PtBNzE/THYCDspEVxI/AAAAAAAAAwI/Ke2dzfBFAws/s1600/FN-Fal01.jpg

AFPVet
09-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Tap rack and fire!

AFPVet
09-24-2010, 09:40 PM
My Go To Rifle:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jGpQ0PtBNzE/THYCDspEVxI/AAAAAAAAAwI/Ke2dzfBFAws/s1600/FN-Fal01.jpg

Me likey the FAL :) I like my AR-10 A2 Carbine too though :D

Promontorium
09-28-2010, 12:16 PM
I had to look up "wheelgun"! Would be funny to you if you knew how many guns I've shot, become expert with, own, family owns. Just never heard that term. Gun terms probably come second only to words for marijuana.

Edit: oh yeah, and words for the penis. Over a hundred words used in American English alone.

osan
09-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Excellent question.

I have a PPK/S - junk. Absolute junk. They are NOTORIOUSLY unreliable feeders. They have a terrible tendency to stove pipe or hang up on the feed ramp with the round jammed in crooked. I got it only because it was very low cost. I could probably get 2-4x what I paid for it now. Say, that gives me an idea...

osan
09-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Wheelers are not sexy. People want hi-cap semis - they think they are cool. If you cannot get the job done with six rounds, either you can't shoot for shit or you've fallen into a circumstance that a 20+1 XD will likely not bail you out of.

Wheelers require a significantly higher level of craft to master vis-a-vis semis. You need to be a marksman to wield a revolver. That's why the cops have run away from them - they want to be cool and not know how to shoot. This is in gross evidence any time I see cops handling firearms... if "handling" even may be reasonably said to apply.

osan
09-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Just keep it clean and use the proper ammo.

And I can clear a jam quickly.

These choices boil largely down to personal taste, but the question becomes not whether you can clear a jam quickly, but rather quickly enough. If you've never been in a life/death situation you may not understand just how screwed up one can get when the entire pot is riding on what you do in the coming 2 or 3 seconds.

osan
09-28-2010, 04:10 PM

Glocks are great guns so long as you don't care whether you hit what you're shooting at.

:)

Danke
09-28-2010, 04:14 PM
These choices boil largely down to personal taste, but the question becomes not whether you can clear a jam quickly, but rather quickly enough. If you've never been in a life/death situation you may not understand just how screwed up one can get when the entire pot is riding on what you do in the coming 2 or 3 seconds.

If it is "a life/death situation" than I surely want as many rounds as possible available. As in those situations many don't shoot that accurately.

But my H&K doesn't jam, so far.

osan
09-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Get the Smith. Far and away the better gun. If you get a competent smith on your trigger, you should have no more than 3-4# pull DA. That is where mine is - single action might be 8 oz. Some like to carry a 44 mag. but IMO unless you are in a state of very high training with that gun, you're asking for extra trouble. While recoil is very manageable, under combat stress I find it unwise to add any more noise to the equation than is absolutely necessary. 38SPL +P loads will do the job with notably less push. Even 357 mag. loads will push less and the difference in so-called stopping power is, IMO, marginal between it and 44 mag, so why complicate what would already be a very touchy situation? And the guns tend to be smaller, though a K-frame is still plenty large.

For some it's an ego thing. I do like to remind people that when time comes to actually make use of the weapon to stave off impending death or grievous injury, one's ego most often slips between the cracks in the floor boards, cowering, and what remains is left to deal with the preservation of life and limb. Ego isn't worth getting dead for.

Just my useless opinion, of course.

osan
09-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Me likey the FAL :) I like my AR-10 A2 Carbine too though :D

FAL is a great rifle. I foolishly passed on an Australian-made example last year. I did, however, more than make up for it with a killer deal on an M1A National Match from moons ago. It's a bit heavy compared with the AR10, but it is a tack driver and reliable in the extreme. I think the M1A may be the finest combat rifle ever made.

TruckinMike
10-14-2010, 08:16 AM
My Go To Rifle:

Great minds really do think alike...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/2479592488_1555910306_z.jpg?zz=1

I built it using a DSA receiver, a T48 hand guard, and a para rear sight. Note the Garand web sling.

TMike

Bern
10-14-2010, 08:23 AM
This story is clearly a hoax. Are we supposed to believe that anyone in California owns a gun?