PDA

View Full Version : Should the government stop people from killing themselves

BlackTerrel
09-19-2010, 09:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100919/ap_on_re_us/us_missing_cult_members

PALMDALE, Calif. – The leader of a breakaway religious sect was hospitalized Sunday for a mental evaluation, after members of her group went missing and left behind evidence that they were awaiting the rapture or some catastrophic event.

Reyna Marisol Chicas was placed under a 72-hour mandatory hold after it was determined she was not able to care for herself or others, said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Thomas Kim.

Chicas gave investigators a false name and was rambling during questioning, Kim said. She told deputies she had no children, even though her two kids were with her.

Ending a frantic search, deputies found Chicas and 12 others just before noon at Jackie Robinson Park near Palmdale after getting a tip from a local resident, said sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore. He said all members are safe.

Officers had been searching a wide swath of Southern California since Saturday after family members found letters saying the group was awaiting an apocalyptic event and would soon see Jesus and their dead relatives in heaven.

This story is a bit confusing and I'm not entirely clear but for the sake of this thread let's assume:

1. Members of this religious group want to mass suicide.

2. They all are doing so willingly.

?. Should the government intervene?

My vote is no. I know too many people working hard and struggling to survive. If some people want to kill themselves for any reason let them do it. Free will and so be it.

Kylie
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
No.

brenden.b
09-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Depends on your philosophy on life and politics. The early classical liberals, such as John Locke, would say that that an individual does not have the right to take his own life.

MRoCkEd
09-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I support the death penalty for anyone who kills himself.

brenden.b
09-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I support the death penalty for anyone who kills himself.

That's one way to look at it.

Dr.3D
09-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Well, there should be something in the life insurance policy stating they won't pay if the insured takes his own life.

akforme
09-19-2010, 09:58 PM
no, and I support assisted suicide by medical professionals. If I can put my dog down so she doesn't suffer, I should be able to allot myself that same privilege.