PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Interview, 11 College Newspapers:)

speciallyblend
09-18-2010, 10:35 PM
just got in my email:)
http://www.emorywheel.com/detail.php?n=24929

Executive Editor Rachel Zelkowitz and representatives from 11 other college newspapers interviewed presidential candidate Ron Paul on Tuesday. Here are some excerpts.

UWire: You placed second in the Nevada caucus on Saturday — what are your reactions to those results and your plans for the next few weeks, and also we wanted to know what part of your message you think is resonating most with college students?

RP: I believe the momentum is going to continue, especially with young people because the reception is always growing. I spent yesterday in Louisiana, and the college students did turn out, and it’s interesting to try to figure out why there’s been such an attraction to this message and to the campaign from the young people. I ask each and every one of them, whenever I get a chance. Generally the answers are they like the Constitution, young people like that, they like the principles.

Oklahoma State University: You advocate in your campaign a freedom of choice, how can you be in support of no abortion if you advocate freedom of choice?
RP: With the libertarian belief, I believe you can’t commit an act of violence. And some would say, well, the restriction on the woman is an act of violence, because you’re telling a woman what she can do with her body, but the only question is whether or not there’s another human life. ... The unborn child has legal rights, inheritance rights. If I, as a physician, hurt the baby before birth, I get sued. If there’s an injury in an accident or a homicide, it’s always considered a double homicide, so there’s strong evidence that there’s a legal entity involved.

University of Utah: Do you find as people learn more about your domestic proposals, like dismantling the Department of Education, the FBI and the CIA, that they become less supportive or your candidacy?

RP: Well, I guess for some, that might be the case. Because for some that enjoy what I say and agree with what I say on civil liberties and the war, they resort to saying it’s the responsibility of the government to redistribute wealth. I see that as the illegal and immoral use of force in both areas. ... I just work hard at trying to prove that consistent defense of liberty means you don’t use force in any one area, whether it’s social issues or economic issues.

University of Miami: How will the fact that you don’t believe in scientifically-supported theories like evolution affect your decisions on scientific topics such as global warming or stem cell research?

RP: I’m not saying there’s no evidence of evolution, I’m just saying there’s no proof of anything. That’s why it’s called a theory. ... As far as research goes, I’m a strong supporter of all kinds of research. I just don’t like it when the government gets involved. You know, in Washington, when you’re talking about stem cell research, there’s only two positions, either that you finance it or prohibit it. ... We should let the market decide and neither prohibit it nor subsidize it.

Emory University: What are some of your plans to allow the free market to lower the costs and correct what a number of people see as a major problem in our nation’s health care system?

RP: I think the cost is the thing most people complain about. ... You can’t solve that problem unless you understand why the cost goes up and you can’t do that unless you know it’s a reflection of the falling dollar. ... The whole thing is backwards. We need freedom of choice, need to get every cent back from medicine in tax deductions. ... Freedom really works, government management, central economic planning is an absolute failure...What is failing today is corporatism not free market.

— Executive Editor Rachel Zelkowitz

t0rnado
09-18-2010, 11:11 PM
University of Miami: How will the fact that you don’t believe in scientifically-supported theories like evolution affect your decisions on scientific topics such as global warming or stem cell research?

RP: I’m not saying there’s no evidence of evolution, I’m just saying there’s no proof of anything. That’s why it’s called a theory. ... As far as research goes, I’m a strong supporter of all kinds of research. I just don’t like it when the government gets involved. You know, in Washington, when you’re talking about stem cell research, there’s only two positions, either that you finance it or prohibit it. ... We should let the market decide and neither prohibit it nor subsidize it.

Ron Paul needs to have a chat with Richard Dawkins.

By the way, this is from 2008.

KurtBoyer25L
09-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Lovely, hope it's 111 colleges this time around, but they failed to illustrate Ron's clear distinction between personal beliefs & political sanction to enforce laws. We are so used to hearing a politician say "I believe in moral position x" and taking that to mean, "I will use the power of this office to enforce moral position x." Dr. Paul is unique in his understanding that personal belief should never automatically equal public mandate. He may not be entirely sold on Darwinism, but he would never force all public schools to not teach it.