PDA

View Full Version : Went through a warrantless roadblock today

GunnyFreedom
09-18-2010, 08:13 PM
On the way back from Roanoke Rapids. The sort where they look for violations to make ticket money off of. Run by State Troopers.

Handed the Trooper license and registration, and tried to give him a US Constitution. He wouldn't take it. "Sir I can't take that." 'Trooper, you really should. Apparently (looking at all the activity and waving the Constitution at it) you need this a lot more than I do.' He have me an almost frightened and very uncomfortable look and scurried back to the next car (already being handled by someone else but he clearly didn't want to be next to our truck anymore) and left us hanging. After a moment I just left. had to get to the GOP picnic and didn't have time to make an ass out of myself lmao.

KCIndy
09-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Handed the Trooper license and registration, and tried to give him a US Constitution. He wouldn't take it. "Sir I can't take that." 'Trooper, you really should. Apparently (looking at all the activity and waving the Constitution at it) you need this a lot more than I do.' He have me an almost frightened and very uncomfortable look and scurried back to the next car

He obviously recognized you as one of those quixotic, Constitution-waving, liberty-loving Ron Paul loonies.

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!! :eek::eek:

Anti Federalist
09-18-2010, 09:00 PM
On the way back from Roanoke Rapids. The sort where they look for violations to make ticket money off of. Run by State Troopers.

Handed the Trooper license and registration, and tried to give him a US Constitution. He wouldn't take it. "Sir I can't take that." 'Trooper, you really should. Apparently (looking at all the activity and waving the Constitution at it) you need this a lot more than I do.' He have me an almost frightened and very uncomfortable look and scurried back to the next car (already being handled by someone else but he clearly didn't want to be next to our truck anymore) and left us hanging. After a moment I just left. had to get to the GOP picnic and didn't have time to make an ass out of myself lmao.

NC House Bill number 11-01

Introduced by Glen Bradley - District 49

A Bill to prohibit state, county and local police from conducting roadside checkpoints.

Oh, hey, BTW, how did the speech go?

MikeStanart
09-18-2010, 09:01 PM
He obviously recognized you as one of those quixotic, Constitution-waving, liberty-loving Ron Paul loonies.

RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!! :eek::eek:

bahahaha

Live_Free_Or_Die
09-18-2010, 09:08 PM
'Trooper, you really should. Apparently (looking at all the activity and waving the Constitution at it) you need this a lot more than I do.'

:D

speciallyblend
09-18-2010, 09:09 PM

sounds like you handled it fine;) oo if i ever am stopped at one of these? They will find a reason to arrest me after i say my part!! The idea he couldn't take a constitution is a flat out lie by the officer! I gave a state trooper a bunch of legalize marijuana info once while he was writing me a speeding ticket and trying to get me to let him search my car in the communistwealth of virginia. I made him call a dog out since i wouldn't let him search my car;) while he waited for 20 minutes for the dog . I gave him a 20 minute speech on why marijuana should be legal and he was wasting my time and his! he tried again to get me to let him search my vehicle i said no! Once the dog came he walked him around the car and then left with my marijuana info:) no bust! obviously that dog couldn't smell worth a dam. Once i got to work djing a go-go bar! I went back out to my car to retrieve my marijuana and proceeded to get real high with a stripper whooo hooo(rest of details are private:). Never trust a cop and never let them search your vehicle unless they get a warrant!! ps hint, if you leave your vehicle lock it as you leave when talking to police!! not sure if it is legal but when they searched with dog. they actually tried to open my door but it was locked!!

GreedyHenry
09-18-2010, 10:02 PM
ps hint, if you leave your vehicle lock it as you leave when talking to police!! not sure if it is legal but when they searched with dog. they actually tried to open my door but it was locked!!

I've wondered what the police would do in this situation. Even better would be to immediately get out of your vehicle and lock the keys inside as soon as you pull over. You've pulled over for an emergency vehicle as required by law and the officer hasn't given you any order to stay inside the car, you can't get back in the car because you don't have the keys. They could find a reason to impound your car and all impounded cars are "inventoried" but they usually have an unlocked car with keys when they impound it. Do they have a right to just break into your car in this case?

nobody's_hero
09-19-2010, 05:02 AM
Constitution is to State Trooper, as Garlic is to Vampire?

Interesting finding, Gunny. I think you earned his vote! :)

mrsat_98
09-19-2010, 06:25 AM
I always wondered what would happen if you just stop and don't roll the window down. I mean Hale vs Hinckle says you dont have to open the door to an investigation so why roll the window down ?

Jim Casey
09-19-2010, 06:59 AM

He might have been afraid of being set up for accepting a bribe.

mrsat_98
09-19-2010, 07:40 AM
He might have been afraid of being set up for accepting a bribe.

He more than likely was well aware of 42 USC 1983.

Jim Casey
09-19-2010, 07:58 AM
He more than likely was well aware of 42 USC 1983.
More importantly, he was likely also aware of the supreme court case from 1961 that opened the flood gates for Section 1983 litigation.
http://www.familyrightsassociation.com/info/law/title42sec1983/

The city of Chicago, however, was not held liable, because the Court ruled that Congress did not intend to bring municipal corporations within the ambit of Section 1983 (this ruling was later overturned by the Court).

CASE SIGNIFICANCE

This case virtually opened the floodgates of the courts to civil rights (or Section 1983) litigation.
I was referring to the old Chicago way of slipping a $100 bill under your driver's license when you hand it over to an officer to get him to leave you alone.

Southron
09-19-2010, 08:33 AM
I get these roadblocks every once in awhile near Asheboro.

aGameOfThrones
09-19-2010, 08:46 AM
sounds like you handled it fine;) oo if i ever am stopped at one of these? They will find a reason to arrest me after i say my part!! The idea he couldn't take a constitution is a flat out lie by the officer! I gave a state trooper a bunch of legalize marijuana info once while he was writing me a speeding ticket and trying to get me to let him search my car in the communistwealth of virginia. I made him call a dog out since i wouldn't let him search my car;) while he waited for 20 minutes for the dog . I gave him a 20 minute speech on why marijuana should be legal and he was wasting my time and his! he tried again to get me to let him search my vehicle i said no! Once the dog came he walked him around the car and then left with my marijuana info:) no bust! obviously that dog couldn't smell worth a dam. Once i got to work djing a go-go bar! I went back out to my car to retrieve my marijuana and proceeded to get real high with a stripper whooo hooo(rest of details are private:). Never trust a cop and never let them search your vehicle unless they get a warrant!! ps hint, if you leave your vehicle lock it as you leave when talking to police!! not sure if it is legal but when they searched with dog. they actually tried to open my door but it was locked!!

Very good! Always lock the doors when stepping out of your car, always! BTW, drug checkpoints are unlawful. Also, always use a camera to record the dog handler and the dog's reaction (they tend to fabricate the reaction when people are ignorant of the procedure). Also, when possible tried to stop at a private business where there are witnesses to see your encounter with pirates.

GunnyFreedom
09-19-2010, 09:03 AM
The practice of setting up roadblocks searching for violations in the hopes of increasing revenue streams works from an assumption that all motorists are guilty until they have proved themselves innocent, and is thus offensive to the fundamental principle of American juris prudence, that all people are innocent until proven guilty.

The question of whether driving is a right or a privilege does not even enter into the equation here, nor should we prevent the reasonable practice of setting up a cordon searching for an actual fleeing suspect from such crimes as armed roppery, assault, or other violent crimes. When searching for a fleeing suspect of a violent crime, we generally have some basic information such as a vehicle make, model, and or color, and a general description of the suspect himself.

This bill will protect both the citizen's natural right of innocence until proven guilty, as well as the police's ability to track down violent criminals, by banning all such warrantless or suspicionless roadblocks searching for random violations, as well as allowing cordon roadblocks for capturing violent suspects but disallowing any regulatory or so-called safety violations from being cited during such cordons.

It is both right and good for police to track down and arrest criminals fleeing from violent crimes, and a traffic cordon is a valuable tool to do so. By disallowing all citations for license checks, registration and inspection checks, seatbelt tickets etc during traffic cordons, we will enable the pursuit of known violent criminals, without making criminals out of every ordinary citizen traveling down a certain section of the highway.

Banning warrantless checkstops for the purpose of issuing citations of licencing, insurance, registration, and so-called safety issues will help return our society to the principles of American Liberty we are quickly losing, and I appreciate your aye vote on this important bill.

lynnf
09-19-2010, 11:21 AM
way to go, Gunny. gave him something to think about for at least a little while.

lynn

Yieu
09-19-2010, 12:28 PM
This bill will protect both the citizen's natural right of innocence until proven guilty, as well as the police's ability to track down violent criminals, by banning all such warrantless or suspicionless roadblocks searching for random violations, as well as allowing cordon roadblocks for capturing violent suspects but disallowing any regulatory or so-called safety violations from being cited during such cordons.

Interesting method. :D

phill4paul
09-19-2010, 12:41 PM
You obviously have not received the message they want you to hear Gunny.

What Not to Say When Pulled Over by a Cop

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110666/what-not-to-say-when-pulled-over-by-a-cop

Glad you got through that one safely. :)

TNforPaul45
09-19-2010, 12:49 PM
I wonder how many drunk drivers were zipping down the highways in that area while all the cops were clustered on one road, harassing innocent citizens?

Sickening.

Anti Federalist
09-19-2010, 01:12 PM
You obviously have not received the message they want you to hear Gunny.

What Not to Say When Pulled Over by a Cop

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/110666/what-not-to-say-when-pulled-over-by-a-cop

Glad you got through that one safely. :)

Ugh, I saw that story and was going to post it, but vomited first and couldn't. :mad:

Anti Federalist
09-19-2010, 01:14 PM
YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik)

coastie
09-19-2010, 01:22 PM

Good job! ALWAYS, ALWAYS,ALWAYS Lock you door when you get out. Windows up, then lock. Had one ask me recently why I locked the doors when I got out, just replied "habit", and not to mention-"I'm not giving you consent to search my car anyway, so it doesn't matter that it's locked". I then zipped the lips. AT the time I was active duty Federal Law Enforcement, so I could get away with being a little lippy. I wouldn't be so lippy now that I'm out, lol, could get the elctromatic shocko-torture device-which would surely kill me with my heart issues:eek::D

speciallyblend
09-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Good job! ALWAYS, ALWAYS,ALWAYS Lock you door when you get out. Windows up, then lock. Had one ask me recently why I locked the doors when I got out, just replied "habit", and not to mention-"I'm not giving you consent to search my car anyway, so it doesn't matter that it's locked". I then zipped the lips. AT the time I was active duty Federal Law Enforcement, so I could get away with being a little lippy. I wouldn't be so lippy now that I'm out, lol, could get the elctromatic shocko-torture device-which would surely kill me with my heart issues:eek::D

yeah i want nothing to do with a tazer unless i am the one shooting it;) I get along with all our local police etc etc but as soon as you hit cities! It somehow seems to all change! I sure know the difference between a police officer actually doing his job or a police officer trying to do more then he should! That makes it easier to address any situation!!