PDA

View Full Version : Local cops and county sheriffs plan to charge Qu'ran burning pastor $200 grand

Anti Federalist
09-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Terry Jones Faces $200K Security Bill From Cops

http://www.newser.com/story/100913/terry-jones-faces-200k-security-bill-from-cops.html

Newser) – Some would argue that the damage inflicted by Terry Jones' aborted plan to burn Korans is incalculable. Gainesville police think about $200,000 should do nicely. The city plans to present the pastor of the Dove World Outreach Center with a bill for $100,000 to cover the cost of extra security during the brouhaha. The county sheriff may do the same for a similar amount, reports the Gainesville Sun.

It's not clear, as even Gainesville's city manager acknowledges, whether the church can be forced to pay up. And Jones' early reaction suggests he won't do so without a fight: "If we had known this in advance, then we would have refused to have security," he said, notes CNN. The city attorney, though, argues Gainesville provided a "direct service" to the church and is due compensation. For earlier coverage of the whole mess, click here.

free1
09-18-2010, 07:52 PM
See what happens when you pull them out of the donut shop?

Humanae Libertas
09-18-2010, 07:56 PM
No judge, no jury? Just hand them a 200k bill?

specsaregood
09-18-2010, 08:02 PM
I wonder how much private security would have cost......would be an interesting comparison to see....

phill4paul
09-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Seems to me they were paid in full by taxpayers. As in it's their frikken job. They are just pissed because they couldn't be out harassing citizens.

specsaregood
09-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Seems to me they were paid in full by taxpayers. As in it's their frikken job. They are just pissed because they couldn't be out harassing citizens.

I'd wager that the majority of the "extra security" they provided were cops earning overtime pay.

Anti Federalist
09-18-2010, 09:24 PM
//

KCIndy
09-18-2010, 09:43 PM
I'd wager that the majority of the "extra security" they provided were cops earning overtime pay.

Hey, they NEED that overtime pay!

...after all, doughnuts are getting *expensive* these days! :D