PDA

View Full Version : Murkowski Mounting Write-in Candidacy for Senate

Zatch
09-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Murkowski Mounting Write-in Candidacy for Senate
Published September 17, 2010 | FoxNews.com

Get ready for the rematch.

Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski, who lost in a stunning upset to Tea Party-backed Joe Miller in the Republican Senate primary last month, announced her plan Friday to mount a write-in candidacy for the general election in November.

Her announcement came at a late afternoon rally in Anchorage as supporters surrounded her and chanted: "Run, Lisa, Run!"

Murkowski acknowledged she made mistakes during the primary campaign, but promised she'll be more aggressive this time in running against Miller.

"The gloves are off," she said.

Murkowski was swayed by a recent poll showing that if she ran as an independent, she'd beat Miller by 6 percentage points and Democratic candidate Scott McAdams by 18 percentage points, said Andrew Halcro, a former Republican candidate for governor.

But the write-in campaign will be an uphill battle for Murkowski because her name won't appear on the ballot and she won't have the support of the Republican establishment. Republican political action committees have already begun giving to Miller, who won the nomination after waiting nearly two weeks for state election officials to count the absentee ballots that guaranteed the win.

Murkowski, though, has $1.4 million in the bank to spend on her independent bid, and she will be the only seasoned politician in the race.

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin urged Murkowski on Twitter Friday afternoon to recognize that the state's primary voters demonstrated their support for Miller, a tea party favorite.

"Listen to the people, respect their will," said Palin, the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee. "Voters chose Joe instead."

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee instantly expressed delight in Murkowski's decision.

"Lisa Murkowski's decision to mount a write-in campaign is just the latest example of the Republican Party cannibalizing itself," DSCC spokeswoman Deirdre Murphy said in a statement. "From the tip of Florida, to the beaches in Delaware, all the way to the island off Alaska, the Republican Party heads into November with deep and serious divisions."

Murphy was referring to Gov. Charlie Crist's decision to ditch the Republican Party and run as an independent in the Florida Senate race after trailing badly to conservative Marco Rubio and Christine O'Donnell's upset victory over veteran Rep. Mike Castle in the Delaware GOP primary on Tuesday.

"Alaska voters now have three options in November: a Washington insider who supports the failed economic policies of the past, an extremist who wants to end Social Security and Medicare, and a small-town mayor would put Alaskan families first," Murphy added.

During the Alaska primary, the Tea Party Express ran ads supporting Miller and distorting Murkowski's position on the new health care law. She called the California-based organization an "outside extremist group."

The Associated Press and Fox News' Dan Springer contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/17/source-murkowski-pursue-write-candidacy/

South Park Fan
09-17-2010, 10:01 PM
I suspect that this will split the liberal vote and make Miller's election a little easier.

brenden.b
09-17-2010, 10:04 PM
It's not even going to matter. Unless the voters are really in the mindset that Murkowski is really worth the extra effort to write in her name, most voters will show up to the poll and check Team R or Team D. Murkowski does not have the flair to convince people she is worth the "write-in" vote.

MozoVote
09-17-2010, 10:09 PM
If she was a political newcomer that had been campaigning all along as an independent, this might have worked. But instead it looks like a desperate clutch at retaining power. She is ignoring rational advice to just cool her heels a few years and mount another campaign.

Fozz
09-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Murkowski, though, has $1.4 million in the bank to spend on her independent bid, and she will be the only seasoned politician in the race.

This year, I think that is a liability, especially in the state of Sarah Palin.

I cannot see how Miller would lose while Rubio wins.

Stary Hickory
09-17-2010, 10:51 PM
She knows she can't win she just wants to spoil it out of spite. I suppose I misjudged exactly how low life and scummy the Republican establishment can really be. No bowing out gracefully no....they try and destroy the political process out of spite.

States need to start adopting rules where there are run offs when a third party candidate runs. This way this tactic cannot be used to manipulate the democratic process. It truly is an injustice when someone tries this.

RP Supporter
09-17-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm hoping this helps Miller, who does not seem too bad. The polling that polled her as a Libertarian showed her in either second or first place, with the Democrat in third. She'll probably do a little worse as a write in, but I suspect this will be like the Florida race. Crist started off very strong, but the lack of organizational support and the fact that no one really wants to vote for a "moderate" this year pretty much collapsed his campaign. Lisa might have a week or two when she leads this, but as the election gets closer she'll start to fall. And even when people who like her get into the voting booth, I think a lot of them will look at the ballot, not want to spare the extra few seconds it will take them to write out her name that they may spell wrong anyway, and just vote for Miller.

low preference guy
09-17-2010, 11:13 PM
^ insightful post.

Stary Hickory
09-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Yep did not realize that people would have to physically write her name on the ballot. It's not nearly as menacing then.

AJ Antimony
09-18-2010, 01:12 AM
She should change her last name to Smith

rprprs
09-18-2010, 05:48 AM
She knows she can't win she just wants to spoil it out of spite.

This is my take, also. Despicable.

Johnnybags
09-18-2010, 06:45 AM
These progressives think the seat is theirs to take no matter what. Sad, but before all is said and done another national party has to be formed. The Elites would rather lose than have the people choose a candidate for them. In Mass. they call it the Kennedys seat. There will be a national third party by 2014-16 if the republicans keep the games up.

Castle said Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) phoned him after her stunning primary loss at the hands of Tea Party-backed Joe Miller with a warning.

"She told me to be careful, because [The Tea Party Express] will come at me with everything they've got," Castle recounted. "They're certainly not above misrepresentation."

MozoVote
09-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Fascinating. Now that I've had time to watch some of Castle's interviews, I have a better understanding why GOP voters threw him over the guardrail.

Does this seem like someone who will defend your rights? It's all about compromise and negotiating with the President. He didn't even think the House of Reps was in play for this election.

Peas. Pod. Good riddance.

YouTube - A Conversation With Rep. Mike Castle, Delaware Sen. Candidate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh8gMlBtaaQ)

speciallyblend
09-18-2010, 08:31 AM
not a big deal, she has every right to run if she likes!! If Miller is a True Liberty-Minded Tea Party Candidate?Then he will Win!! If he follows the Ron Paul platform then Miller has a strong chance to Win! If he follows the palin platform then i think miller will lose either option for Miller is ok to me!!

HOLLYWOOD
09-18-2010, 08:57 AM
If she was a political newcomer that had been campaigning all along as an independent, this might have worked. But instead it looks like a desperate clutch at retaining power. She is ignoring rational advice to just cool her heels a few years and mount another campaign.

Split the US Senatorial vote in Alaska and the other half of the false dichotomy of the duopoly aka Aristocracy of the political elite (Dem Win). A recent example is what happened in Indiana in the GOP US Senatorial primary race when political elite ex US senator and lobbyist Dan Coates won the primary with 39% of the vote.

The political elite want their ringer class in... so the democrat will win.

Murkowski's new campaign is using the latest designed Propaganda against "Extremist" Joe Miller and of course you'll see/hear it across the country in any other Tea Party/People's candidates. Look closely at the Elitist MSM media reporting on candidates that aren't in the Ruling Establishment Class Party. Political Marginalizing is a craft well coordinated between the political elite and media elite.

EXTREMIST, UNELECTABLE, CRAZY, etc note it every time the media and the ruling class uses it. Hmm, doesn't it sound familiar?

O'Donnell Strikes Back: Christine O’Donnell Slams The ‘Anti-Americanism’ Of The ‘Ruling Class’
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2010/09/odonnell-slams-the-anti-americanism-of-the-ruling-class.html

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/missmeyet.jpg

Stary Hickory
09-18-2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah these thrid party tactics are an attempt to exploit the democratic process. Well this is the last hurrah for the elitist/statist/progressive GOPers...it is their death throws that we are witnessing. We will get rid of you and we will have our freedom.

futo555
09-18-2010, 10:22 AM
We uneducated folks would elect the guy next door "Murlocki" as the write in!

MozoVote
09-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Hopefully after her second loss and squandering her campaign funds, she'll get the hint.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/09/01/alg_lisa_murkowski.jpg

james1906
09-18-2010, 12:41 PM
She isn't some insurgent outsider that will motivate people to write her in. Her time in the limelight has faded, like William Hung, it's time to bow out and move on.

Stop Making Cents
09-18-2010, 02:47 PM
What a whore