PDA

View Full Version : Lisa Murkowski Will Run as a Write-In Candidate

RonPaulFanInGA
09-17-2010, 02:46 PM
http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2010/09/murkowski_will.php

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) will run for re-election as a write-in candidate after losing her bid for renomination, according to sources briefed on Murkowski's decision.

Murkowski's decision will set up a 3-way battle between the incumbent, Miller and Sitka Mayor Scott McAdams (D), potentially turning the race on its head. Private 3-way polling has shown Miller leading, but by a narrow margin.

Murkowski will make the formal announcement tonight in Anchorage. She has been mulling her options after losing to attorney Joe Miller (R) by 1.8% -- or about 2K votes out of 110K cast.

ChaosControl
09-17-2010, 02:49 PM
I dislike sore losers.
Run independent, fine. But if you run in a primary and lose and then switch to another party that is just pathetic and shows you a sore loser.

FrankRep
09-17-2010, 02:49 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/09/01/alg_lisa_murkowski.jpg

wormyguy
09-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Say what you want about Trey Grayson - at least he conceded quickly and honorably, and endorsed Rand.

low preference guy
09-17-2010, 02:53 PM
lol. that woman is hilariously out of touch. she feels entitled to her senate seat, but she is not going to win.

Anti Federalist
09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
That pretty much seals the deal for another dem pickup in the Senate.

low preference guy
09-17-2010, 03:01 PM

i don't think so. i think Miller will win, but we'll see.

MRoCkEd
09-17-2010, 03:02 PM
That f*&$$*$&

nate895
09-17-2010, 03:03 PM

The polls indicate that she takes away at least as many votes from the Democrat as the Republican. You have to remember the Alaska is a deep red state. They almost reelected Stevens, who had been convicted of corruption charges. Joe Miller will still almost certainly be elected.

Brett85
09-17-2010, 03:04 PM
She's an ego maniac.

MRoCkEd
09-17-2010, 03:05 PM
The polls indicate that she takes away at least as many votes from the Democrat as the Republican. You have to remember the Alaska is a deep red state. They almost reelected Stevens, who had been convicted of corruption charges. Joe Miller will still almost certainly be elected.
Well that's great news. I really want Miller to win. He's becoming my favorite besides Rand.

Brett85
09-17-2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah, the polls just show that all of the RINO Republicans will vote for her rather than the Democrat if she runs. I don't think very many people will bother to write in her name anyway.

low preference guy
09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
She's an ego maniac.

Wrong. She is doing it for the people (http://hotair.com/archives/2010/09/17/great-news-incumbent-sore-loser-to-launch-desperate-bid-to-keep-power/).

“Believe you me, the easier path would be to pack it all up and go do something different,” she said. “If I had not heard this call from Alaskans, I would not be deliberating as I am.”…

“It is people from all walks of life, every corner of the state, who are concerned about Alaska’s future and concerned enough to take action on it,” she said. “I’m a public servant. My job by definition is to listen to my constituents. And there was a process in place — a primary election — that’s certainly one way that you listen to your constituents.”

She added: “When you think about the outcome of that, in a closed Republican primary, how many Alaskans were actually able to weigh in? So what is the will of the constituency? When you hear this outpouring of support and concern — concern about the future of the state of Alaska and our representation here in the Senate — you do feel a responsibility.”

See?

/obvious sarcasm/

Anti Federalist
09-17-2010, 03:11 PM
i don't think so. i think Miller will win, but we'll see.

Well, we really shall see, won't we?

Cynanthrope
09-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Alaskans will vote for whoever brings home the pork.

At this point, I think any potential victory is possible over there.

Maximus
09-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Funny how its the tea party candidates who are told not to "divide" the party... but Crist and Murkowski do just that for the RINOs

erowe1
09-17-2010, 03:49 PM

You really think so?

1) Like Nate said, she'll take votes from both sides.

2) How many votes can a write-in candidate get? Incumbent or not, she's not going to get more than 3% of the vote.

nate895
09-17-2010, 03:55 PM
You really think so?

2) How many votes can a write-in candidate get? Incumbent or not, she's not going to get more than 3% of the vote.

Non-incumbent Shelley Sekula Gibbs got 42% in her race in 2006. Murkowski won't get as much of the vote as she would on the ballot, so I doubt she'll be competitive at all.

RonPaulFanInGA
09-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Strom Thurmond was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1954 as a write-in candidate.

Fozz
09-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Well that's great news. I really want Miller to win. He's becoming my favorite besides Rand.
Better than Ken Buck or Mike Lee?

MRoCkEd
09-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Better than Ken Buck or Mike Lee?
Better than Buck, and the same or slightly better than Lee.

Anti Federalist
09-17-2010, 04:23 PM
You really think so?

In an 49% to 48% race, that will make or break the deal.

She's going to pull off a pretty large percentage, maybe not enough for the dem to win, but...if elected on write ins as an "independent, I'd suspect she'd end up caucusing with the dems like other so called independents.

Can Ms. Murkowski win? Sure she can. There is plenty of precedent for write-ins being elected to the Congress, although fewer have done so successfully in recent years. Meanwhile, a poll by Public Policy Polling found Ms. Murkowski getting 34 percent of the vote against Mr. Miller’s 38 percent and Mr. McAdams’ 22 percent. Private polling has also shown Ms. Murkowski running closely with Mr. Miller, according to The Hotline.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/17/murkowski-can-win-as-write-in/

Fozz
09-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Better than Buck, and the same or slightly better than Lee.

What makes you say that?

And also, what makes Lee better than Buck?

low preference guy
09-17-2010, 04:28 PM
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/17/murkowski-can-win-as-write-in/

Did the pollster ask "will you vote for Murkowski and can you spell her name"?

If they didn't, the poll is bogus.

MRoCkEd
09-17-2010, 04:33 PM
What makes you say that?

And also, what makes Lee better than Buck?
Based on how willing they are to criticize foreign policy. Lee went further but backtracked. Buck criticized nation building, but at one point said we may need to stay in Afghanistan for 10 years...

Joe Miller, though he initially supported the Iraq war, has opposed nation-building and I haven't seen him backtrack. He's also more critical of the entitlement state.

RonPaulFanInGA
09-17-2010, 04:36 PM

From the New York Times:

And, as The Times reported, Alaska’s elections secretary, Gail Fenumiai, is prepared to take a fairly liberal interpretation of voter intent. Ballots that misspell Ms. Murkowski’s surname would probably be counted, for instance, and so might ballots that identified her by her given name (e.g. “Lisa M.”).

nate895
09-17-2010, 04:39 PM
From the New York Times:

That's typical. Generally, "write-in" candidates in states with easy ballot access, such as Alaska, will have candidates fill out a list of acceptable names for the same person.

Fozz
09-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Based on how willing they are to criticize foreign policy. Lee went further but backtracked. Buck criticized nation building, but at one point said we may need to stay in Afghanistan for 10 years...

Joe Miller, though he initially supported the Iraq war, has opposed nation-building and I haven't seen him backtrack. He's also more critical of the entitlement state.

I don't like Lee that much because he backtracked and has sold his soul to pro-Israel advocates. I think of him the same way I think of Rubio.

Buck has never really come across as a neocon, and Jane Norton and John McLame viciously attacked him for "not being strong enough" on national security. I like him better than Lee, and he's my 2nd favorite Senate candidate. Buck also said that we had the best healthcare system in the world back in the 1950s, hinting his opinion on Medicare, and echoing what RP wrote in his manifesto.

I don't know much about Joe Miller's foreign policy, but I'll take your word.

sailingaway
09-17-2010, 04:44 PM
She's just lost any good will she had left. Maybe she'll drop out after she sees a poll or two.

Anti Federalist
09-17-2010, 04:58 PM

Oh, weeping Jesus on a cross, I see where this is heading...

Hanging Chad Redux.

http://obama08cubs.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/chad.jpg

Anti Federalist
09-17-2010, 04:59 PM
She's just lost any good will she had left. Maybe she'll drop out after she sees a poll or two.

She's within four points of Miller, 38/34.

See post #22

MRoCkEd
09-17-2010, 05:07 PM
She's within four points of Miller, 38/34.

See post #22
That's if she ran as LP. She's write-in.

angelatc
09-17-2010, 05:07 PM

Yeah, but it turns out they were right about Stevens. All his convictions were overturned and the prosecutors were sanctioned for railroading him.

Pericles
09-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Oh, weeping Jesus on a cross, I see where this is heading...

Hanging Chad Redux.

http://obama08cubs.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/chad.jpg

"It doesn't matter who casts the ballots. What matters is who counts the ballots."
-- Joseph Stalin

Anti Federalist
09-17-2010, 06:00 PM
That's if she ran as LP. She's write-in.

Not counting Murcowskee I'm not sure that the LP was pulling 34 percent in the race.

But you are correct that was the poll language.