PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin is Kobe Bryant: Why she won't run for President

BlackTerrel
09-16-2010, 10:03 PM
I was going to use this as a response in one of the "Sarah is running" threads but since there are more than one I'd rather just write it in a thread of it's own.

Let me explain.

A Q Score (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_Score) is a measurement of popularity of a public figure or brand. It is used in a variety of industries. It's recently been in the news that Kobe Bryant has both the most positive and negative Q Score of any NBA player. Basically he is the most loved and simultaneously most hated of any basketball player in the world.

This is pretty common in most arenas in life and is true of most athletes/musicians/actors. The people who are most loved, are also usually the most hated. What is true of Kobe is also true of Brett Favre. Loved by many. Hated by many.

From a business perspective this is a good thing. Kobe sells more jerseys than any other NBA player and his salary and endorsements make him one of the richest athletes in the world. People that love him buy his stuff, and people that hate him don't impact it. For business this is good.

For someone running for President it is bad. Kobe would never be President because so many people hate him. His approval rating is negative.

Sarah Palin is the same thing. She is loved by many. That's why her books sell, she can get large crowds to pay huge sums for her to speak and she has over two million fans on Facebook. She is probably one of the most loved and simultaneously most hated political persons out there. From a business perspective that's great.

From the perspective of becoming President and getting 51% of the vote that's not so great. And it won't happen. She'll stay in the private sector where her love/hate relationship with the public will make her a lot of money. She won't run for office where her love/hate relationship will hurt her.

FrankRep
09-16-2010, 10:29 PM
I disagree. She is popular and she will (most likely) run.

nate895
09-16-2010, 10:47 PM
I disagree. She is popular and she will (most likely) run.

She is possibly the only Republican who, if the election were held tomorrow, would lose to Obama.

cindy25
09-16-2010, 11:08 PM
same could be said about Romney, Ron Paul, Hillary and now Obama.

Humanae Libertas
09-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Who's going to elect a half-term Governor? That's why she is the key to Obama's reelection. Want another four years of BO? Just make sure Palin gets the Republican nomination.

Pete Kay
09-16-2010, 11:54 PM
I like Sarah Palin better as a political activist rather than a politician. I think her heart is in the right place and I'm glad for her help in the Tea Party movement, but even a lot of those that like her recognize that she isn't fit to be President.

Pauls' Revere
09-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Who's going to elect a half-term Governor? That's why she is the key to Obama's reelection. Want another four years of BO? Just make sure Palin gets the Republican nomination.

^^^Truth be told^^^

Pauls' Revere
09-17-2010, 12:06 AM
I like Sarah Palin better as a political activist rather than a politician. I think here heart is in the right place and I'm glad for her help in the Tea Party movement, but even a lot of those that like her recognize that she isn't fit to be President.

Why do they flock to her instead of Ron Paul? I don't get it. There are plenty of other people who have the same or better talking points on the issues and better track records to boot. Is it merely her personna, a facade of authenticity that attracts them to her like moths to a flame?

BlackTerrel
09-17-2010, 12:36 AM

I disagree. Hillary might be an appropriate comparison not the others.

Ron doesn't have nearly as many who love him or hate him as Palin. And Romney doesn't inspire nearly as many positive or negative responses as Palin. Bring up Palin in conversation and people either love her or hate her, but very few have no opinion. That's Kobe Bryant. Romney is more like Tim Duncan. Bring up Romney in conversation and you will not get such strong views either positive or negative.

Why do they flock to her instead of Ron Paul? I don't get it. There are plenty of other people who have the same or better talking points on the issues and better track records to boot. Is it merely her personna, a facade of authenticity that attracts them to her like moths to a flame?

Ron and Sarah disagree on a number of key issues. The people that love Sarah agree with her on those issues. The people that love Ron agree with him on those issues.

Pete Kay
09-17-2010, 01:05 AM

Well, Ron Paul just isn't all that polished to be honest. For some, that's a big part of his appeal, but for the mainstream, he's a hard sell. Sarah Plain is an ex beauty queen with a history in broadcasting. She knows how to deliver a message in a way that middle America just loves to hear.

Kregisen
09-17-2010, 02:27 AM
I would argue Ron Paul is more like Kobe than Palin is....

People like us love him. This website is named after him for pete's sake. Then there's all the neo-cons who hate him (mainly just pro-war people)

That's why it'll be such a challenge to get him the nomination.

SilentBull
09-17-2010, 06:03 AM

About Paul??? That's no true at all. Paul is liked by many liberals and independents. That's why he would win a general election.

Southron
09-17-2010, 06:27 AM
I agree with the OP.

I've never seen someone who has so many people who love or hate her at the same time. I actually think a lot of the love is just a response to how she was initially treated. Sort of rallying to her defense.

I still feel that the establishment wants Mittens or Newt if it can help it

BlackTerrel
09-17-2010, 11:10 AM
About Paul??? That's no true at all. Paul is liked by many liberals and independents. That's why he would win a general election.

This. Is precisely my point.

Palin is loved by the conservative base. Far more than Ron Paul. That's why she can move more books than Ron, can attract greater crowds than Ron, and has ten times as many Facebook fans as Ron. She is more loved by the conservative base than almost anyone.

From a business perspective Palin triumphs. Just like Kobe Bryant. The people that do like her, REALLY like her. And they eat up all her stuff.

BUT.... she has no crossover appeal. She is loved by all the people that vote R anyway. But the people who don't vote R hate her guts. There is no way you win 51% of the vote that way.