PDA

View Full Version : FEMA codes

Elwar
09-16-2010, 02:53 PM
I live on the Gulf of Mexico and my flood zone is a Zone V14 as defined by FEMA.

I've been told by several people that I can't build anything new below 14 feet over sea level. And any new houses built in the area must be up that high as well.

My question is...what level of government is preventing someone from building a ground level building? Is it the county? The state of Florida, or the federal government?

I am thinking it might be my county because I read some blurb about them being a sort of "FEMA compliant" county or something to that affect. But I haven't been able to track it down and I'm not sure how to find building code laws.

Romulus
09-16-2010, 03:13 PM
I used to live in a flood plain.. FEMA writes the rules, period. All flood ins is the same price, no matter where you buy it, its a nationalized policy. I would guess that FEMA lays down the law and local ordinances have to comply to it?

I tried to dispute having to pay for flood ins, since only a very small portion of the property was in the flood plain according to the FEMA map, but no dice, I had to have coverage even though my house was not in the flood plain. And a new building did have to be built 12" above the flood plain on that property.

Anti Federalist
09-16-2010, 04:28 PM
I live on the Gulf of Mexico and my flood zone is a Zone V14 as defined by FEMA.

I've been told by several people that I can't build anything new below 14 feet over sea level. And any new houses built in the area must be up that high as well.

My question is...what level of government is preventing someone from building a ground level building? Is it the county? The state of Florida, or the federal government?

I am thinking it might be my county because I read some blurb about them being a sort of "FEMA compliant" county or something to that affect. But I haven't been able to track it down and I'm not sure how to find building code laws.

I used to live in a flood plain.. FEMA writes the rules, period. All flood ins is the same price, no matter where you buy it, its a nationalized policy. I would guess that FEMA lays down the law and local ordinances have to comply to it?

I tried to dispute having to pay for flood ins, since only a very small portion of the property was in the flood plain according to the FEMA map, but no dice, I had to have coverage even though my house was not in the flood plain. And a new building did have to be built 12" above the flood plain on that property.

Get used to more of this.

Nationalized flood insurance = "no tolerance" federal flood regulations.

Nationalized health insurance = "no tolerance" federal health regulations.

The feds now have the authority to write (and enforce) regulations regarding every aspect of your personal life, health and habits.

Elwar
09-17-2010, 06:20 AM

You had to buy insurance because you most likely had a mortgage and your lender required it. From what I read you would be able to have your home with no flood insurance if you did not have a mortgage.

I know they are FEMA rules...But if it's a county thing I was thinking of pushing a repeal of it to our county councilmembers.

I have a friend who bought a nice commercial lot that has great potential. The only problem is, they have to build everything 12 feet up in the air. They were zoned to where they can be a mobile home park or a boat storage...we've got boat storage and mobile homes all over the place.

Bruno
09-17-2010, 07:19 AM
You had to buy insurance because you most likely had a mortgage and your lender required it. From what I read you would be able to have your home with no flood insurance if you did not have a mortgage.

I know they are FEMA rules...But if it's a county thing I was thinking of pushing a repeal of it to our county councilmembers.

I have a friend who bought a nice commercial lot that has great potential. The only problem is, they have to build everything 12 feet up in the air. They were zoned to where they can be a mobile home park or a boat storage...we've got boat storage and mobile homes all over the place.

So they hate mobile home owners and want them to be flooded? Interesting. Do they think everyone with a mobile home can just hitch it up to a truck in the middle of the night when a flash flood occurs?

Elwar
09-17-2010, 07:40 AM
So they hate mobile home owners and want them to be flooded? Interesting. Do they think everyone with a mobile home can just hitch it up to a truck in the middle of the night when a flash flood occurs?

Ya, that's what I was wondering too. I guess they consider them "mobile".

Though I saw my first mobile home (single wide) on stilts when I moved here. It looks rather odd to see a mobile home 12 feet in the air on cement columns.