PDA

View Full Version : Liberty 'Memes' - Using them to grow and fortify the movement behind US

CableNewsJunkie
09-16-2010, 02:27 PM
If we control the narrative, we win.

One way of controlling the narrative is to condense complex subjects into a few words or phrases...this is how politicians hold those 30 second - 2 minute debates. They don't have a lot of time, so they rely on 'memes' and 'catch phrases'

Here's a few that I think we could throw our weight behind:

A reply to Karl Rove's whining on Sean Hannity about the outcome in Delaware.
"Hey Rove! All your base are belong to us!"
(From that old mis-translated Japanese video game that went viral a few years ago. Young people in the liberty movement could relate to this kind of humor.)

"Insolvent banks that got bailouts from the Federal Reserve should not be making political contributions in order to bailout a morally bankrupt two-party system."

"Civil War in the GOP? It's about time!"

Anyone else have any other 'memes' to add to the discussion?

BuddyRey
09-16-2010, 09:30 PM
The late, great libertarian persuader Harry Browne was notorious for this. He kept a file on his computer where he would craft and then refine biting aphorisms and soundbytes on every political topic. I think he called it his "Persuasion File" or something similar (it's been a while since I read the story).

I was so inspired by his example at the time that I started my own Persuasion wordpad file in my documents folder and went to work on a couple of my own. Most of them are still works in progress, but here's one I especially like:

* * A lot of politicians think all out problems would go away if the populace just disarmed; gave up on carrying and using guns in their daily lives. To these politicians who are generally so quick to use the guns of government to achieve their ends, I say, "you first."

CableNewsJunkie
09-16-2010, 11:08 PM
The late, great libertarian persuader Harry Browne was notorious for this. He kept a file on his computer where he would craft and then refine biting aphorisms and soundbytes on every political topic. I think he called it his "Persuasion File" or something similar (it's been a while since I read the story).

I was so inspired by his example at the time that I started my own Persuasion wordpad file in my documents folder and went to work on a couple of my own. Most of them are still works in progress, but here's one I especially like:

* * A lot of politicians think all our problems would go away if the populace just disarmed; gave up on carrying and using guns in their daily lives. To these politicians who are generally so quick to use the guns of government to achieve their ends, I say, "you first."

I've got so many books that are on my list to read, and his books are some of them. One day, I might just go on strike (take some time off work) for a year or two and just do a lot of reading and traveling. That would be nice.

GunnyFreedom
09-16-2010, 11:14 PM
just because we cannot see the bars of our cages does not mean that we are free.

BuddyRey
09-17-2010, 12:02 AM
just because we cannot see the bars of our cages does not mean that we are free.

Nice one!

BuddyRey
09-17-2010, 04:08 AM
Bump! :-)