PDA

View Full Version : What is Ron Paul's stance on NASA??

tnvoter
10-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Any help appreciated.

RP08
10-17-2007, 03:21 PM
He's stated that we could do without it.

Doesn't seem like it's high on his "priority list" though.

werdd
10-17-2007, 03:21 PM
i havent really heard much from him on it.... but out of personal oppinion i think it is one of the only organizations that SHOULD be funded by the goverment - or could be and i wouldnt be pissed.

ItsTime
10-17-2007, 03:23 PM
He would also let companies go into space (or try)

He's stated that we could do without it.

Doesn't seem like it's high on his "priority list" though.

orenbus
10-17-2007, 03:24 PM
i havent really heard much from him on it.... but out of personal oppinion i think it is one of the only organizations that SHOULD be funded by the goverment - or could be and i wouldnt be pissed.

I agree with that. There is something to be said about funding pure science, R&D.

Lots of companies wouldn't be willing to do it if it's not profitable. There are always
going to be some things some of us will disagree with him on, still doesn't override
our support tho. He needs to be our next prez.

RP08
10-17-2007, 03:26 PM
"funding pure science" doesn't need the red tape, beurocracy, and deep pockets of the Federal or Local governments in the middle though.

kpfareal
10-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Lots of companies want to go to space, but NASA always undercuts the competitors price quotes (to send up satellites etc.), ends up loosing TONS of money, and the taxpayers foot the bill.

I think we should keep NASA open for our countries Defense, but leave the commercial stuff to commercial companies.

Taco John
10-17-2007, 03:39 PM
He would like to privatize space exploration.

cjhowe
10-17-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm pretty sure he said he would keep the projects that work directly to our national defence and do without the projects that do not.

unklejman
10-17-2007, 03:41 PM
He has voted in favor of something to do with NASA and when asked about it in contrast to his stance on strict constitutionalism, his campaign answered that there is a nation security element to it.

werdd
10-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Yeah and plus its important for america to remain competative in space exploration and other technology... china is going to be kicking our ass soon if we dont stop spending all of our money in foreign wars that never end.

Matt Collins
10-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I love the idea of having space exploration. But it should be funded for profit (think Columbus, Cortez, de Leon, etc) or for military/defense research.

aravoth
10-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Our military superiority is heavily dependant on the space program. We simply can not do without that aspect of it. In my opinion, NASA is the only government program that should never be cut. Not ever. So many great things have come from it. I could list the things that have been developed due to the space program but it would take a year or more.

To me, it's one of those things that can unite us all, peacefully. And we can take pride in the fact that we all did it as a nation. Seeing an American flag flown on mars would be the most awe inspiring thing. When it comes to claiming land in space, a nation should do it. Not a corporation. And some day there will be a land rush in our solar system, even if it takes 200 years, there will be a renewed manifest destiny.

At the same time, corporations should not be regulated with regard to space exploration. I would expct them to pick up the mining tab, since there is profit to be made from it. There are a million and one things a business can profit from in space, and I wouldn't want the government to interfere with that aspect of it. But I swear, if some day we became a serious space fareing nation, and the moon was turned into a giant Wal-Mart, complete with orbital advertising that you could never get away from, I would puke.

(edit : Researching something, doesn't look like he wants to get rid of it) I'm not a one issue voter, and right now there are far more serious matters to attend to. I just hope that some day people will understand the value of it, and realize why we can't do without it.

Korey Kaczynski
10-17-2007, 05:52 PM
From what I hear, NASA is NOT on RP's chopping block. He wants to keep it.

maverickdy
10-17-2007, 05:53 PM
NASA should definately be kept to defense projects only. Virgin is gonna start sending people into space to stay at the space station for a week. I think they're partnering with NASA or maybe not, but its definately a show of what could happen if we privatized the unnecessary stuff.

American
10-17-2007, 05:56 PM
It would be up to the congress and if the people want to be taxed to fund NASA then so be it.

V4Vendetta
10-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Ron Paul supports Star Wars. ANd votes in favor of it all the time.

Bryan
10-17-2007, 06:07 PM
These questions belong in the "Ron Paul on the Issues" - this has already been asked: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=24374

Thanks. :)