PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Maven: Jim DeMint and Ron Paul should form 'tea party' ticket

itshappening
09-16-2010, 06:04 AM
http://libertymaven.com/2010/09/15/the-ron-paul-revolution-meets-the-jim-demint-evolution-in-2012/10640/

AuH20
09-16-2010, 06:15 AM
This is a no-brainer. Break from the Palin side.

KurtBoyer25L
09-16-2010, 06:31 AM
My understanding is that while convenient to the liberty movement due to his economic stances, DeMint is also a hard-line religious statist. He & RP would clash badly over the drug war and other civil liberties. Ron will not wait around to be a VP candidate lackey for a pseudo-libertarian. He'll run and if he makes it far enough, he'll pick a VP with consistent principles.

Johnnybags
09-16-2010, 06:31 AM
would be great. Ron is simply too intelligent to explain his positions to dummies. Noone is perfect but I think Demint gets closer to Ron every passing day.

erowe1
09-16-2010, 06:33 AM
This is a no-brainer. Break from the Palin side.

But doesn't the Demint side = the Palin side?

wormyguy
09-16-2010, 07:25 AM

She backed Ayotte and he backed Ovide. She backed Fiorina and he backed DeVore.

itshappening
09-16-2010, 08:26 AM
DeMint would win if he got Ron on board early and announced he wanted to form a conservative coalition 'to take back the country' after such an announcement, DeMint flies to Iowa and RP flies to New Hampshire

I'm not sure though if Ron would be on board and if DeMint would do this

erowe1
09-16-2010, 08:31 AM
DeMint would win if he got Ron on board early and announced he wanted to form a conservative coalition 'to take back the country' after such an announcement, DeMint flies to Iowa and RP flies to New Hampshire

I'm not sure though if Ron would be on board and if DeMint would do this

Demint wouldn't do it either. There's no way he will give up on his interventionist foreign policy, at least not in the foreseeable future. John Hostettler's opposition to the Iraq War was the main reason he endorsed Marlin Stutzman for Senate in Indiana.

itshappening
09-16-2010, 08:45 AM
how would DeMint balance the budget then without cutting overseas expenditure? he's just more of the same.

erowe1
09-16-2010, 08:53 AM
how would DeMint balance the budget then without cutting overseas expenditure? he's just more of the same.

He doesn't care about balancing the budget. If he did, he wouldn't give lip service to fiscal conservatism with his phony balanced budget amendment and his anti-earmark talk.

Maybe I'm too judgmental on those items. I think some people could support Demint's views on them and still be serious about reducing federal spending in big ways. But they're still red flags to me.

AuH20
09-16-2010, 11:22 AM

Palin is much more of a moderate who actually believes that the modern incarnation of our government can work with some shrinking and refinements. DeMint takes a much more hard-line stance on the limited role of government from a Constitutional perspective. Secondly, Palin followers are generally more attracted to her as a celebrity as opposed to be concerned with the nuances of policy.

AuH20
09-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Demint wouldn't do it either. There's no way he will give up on his interventionist foreign policy, at least not in the foreseeable future. John Hostettler's opposition to the Iraq War was the main reason he endorsed Marlin Stutzman for Senate in Indiana.

I don't think that was the main thrust for the selection and I sent money to Hostetler. Hostetler's lack of money and buzz hurt him significantly at the start. Stutzman capitalized on that vacuum and drew DeMint's PAC in.

Fozz
09-16-2010, 11:29 AM

Not really, he is in the middle between Paul and Palin.

erowe1
09-16-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't think that was the main thrust and I sent money to Hostetler. Hostetler's lack of money and buzz hurt him significantly at the start. Stutzman capitalized on that and drew DeMint's PAC in.

That was the reason Demint gave in his push poll before the endorsement.