PDA

View Full Version : Ohio GOP plans first straw poll for president

Bradley in DC
10-17-2007, 02:46 PM
http://www.daytondailynews.com/localnews/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/04/20/ddn042007strawpollweb.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=16

Ohio GOP plans first straw poll for president

By William Hershey
Staff Writer
Friday, April 20, 2007

COLUMBUS — The Ohio Republican Party for the first time will hold a straw poll for top tier GOP presidential candidates in conjunction with the party's state dinner on Sept. 14 in Columbus, party Chairman Robert Bennett announced Friday.

As of Friday, the top tier for 2008 includes: former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney; former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani and Sen. John McCain of Arizona, Bennett said.

If Fred Thompson, the former Tennessee senator who plays District Attorney Arthur Branch on TV's "Law & Order" gets in the race, he likely would be in that group, said Bennett.

"The top tier candidates are the ones who generate the buzz at the grass roots level," said Bennett.

He said the party hadn't held a presidential straw poll before.

"This is going to be a first for us," said Bennett.

Any Republican who pays to attend the dinner — expected to cost about $100 — will be able to vote in the poll, said Bennett.

Ohio Democrats have no plans for a straw poll, said Randy Borntrager, party spokesman. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., a leading candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination, is set to speak at the state Democratic dinner on May 12 in Columbus and other presidential candidates have been invited.

Bennett made his announcement at the end of a meeting of the party's Central and Executive Committee.

The committee elected state Rep. Kevin DeWine, R-Fairborn, as deputy chairman, a new post established to prepare a successor to Bennett who plans to step down when his current term ends in 2009.

DeWine said he would serve out his current term in the House through 2008 but step down from his leadership post as speaker pro tem, the number two position. He said he would seek no future political office.

Bradley in DC
10-17-2007, 02:47 PM
http://lucienek.wordpress.com/2007/10/17/ron-paul-being-left-out-of-first-ohio-straw-poll/

no idea if this is right. no matter what, please be nice--especially with Midwesterners. ;)

steph3n
10-17-2007, 02:48 PM
ehh? thi says SEPTEMBER, already passed

Pete
10-17-2007, 03:02 PM
There was a notice on the campaign website about a straw poll in September, but when I went to vote I found it was closed. Oh, yeah, and Ron Paul had 1%. :mad:

I don't know what this means with regard to him being on the general ballot.

Bradley in DC
10-17-2007, 03:04 PM
:o

Sorry, just showed up on my aggregator news site.