PDA

View Full Version : Private Colleges Free Speech Zones

John of Des Moines
10-17-2007, 02:28 PM
I was at my local private university (Drake) where Rudy was doing a meet and greet. I was distributing different flyers (Conservatives for Paul - ran out then switched to the Regular tri-folds) at the bottom of the stairs leading up the the room Rudy was talking in (about 150 per the catering dude). Was there about 45 minutes passing out the flyers in a low-key manner ("Here's you go. Something to read"). Several of Rudy's lackeys passed by me and headed up the stairs. They talked to some university flunky who came down the stairs and asked which campaign I was with ("No one's"). He stated that I couldn't distribute literature per the Dean of Students since I wasn't part of a campaign. ("I thought colleges were free speech zones?" Answer: The university get federal money so federal law applies.") The upshot is I left.

Question: Aren't public and private universities and colleges free speech zones? If so who'd like to email the University President, Dean of Students and the Flunky and complain about their restrictive policies. (Funny thing is Obama was there last week and nobody said a word to me when I did the same thing.)

itsnobody
10-17-2007, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure, that doesn't seem right but if its a private institution they can do whatever they want

BW4Paul
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Erm, if "The university get federal money so federal law applies," then shouldn't the first ammendment apply?

Bob Cochran
10-17-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure, that doesn't seem right but if its a private institution they can do whatever they want
Not quite. They can't murder students and get away with it, for example.

You should definitely complain. Rudy shouldn't get to go around college campuses and decide whose campaign literature gets passed out. And the college administrators, if they are in that business, deserve to be publicly embarrassed over the issue.

Green Mountain Boy
10-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Erm, if "The university get federal money so federal law applies," then shouldn't the first ammendment apply?

Not sure....if someone receives welfare from the Federal Gov't, does that mean their house is a "free speech zone"?

Green Mountain Boy
10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
I wonder what they would have said if you told them you were with the Ron Paul Campaign.

itsnobody
Not quite. They can't murder students and get away with it, for example.

You should definitely complain. Rudy shouldn't get to go around college campuses and decide whose campaign literature gets passed out. And the college administrators, if they are in that business, deserve to be publicly embarrassed over the issue.

Yeah, true, you have to look up your college policies and all that

Hope
It may not be Constitutional, but it's a widely accepted practice for universities to have free speech zones...and until it's brought to court you pretty much have to abide by their rules. It's one of those things where you'd think you'd be free to assemble, but not only do you have to be in certain zones but you have to take out a permit to do so.

It bites.

Question_Authority
10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
I have had similar things like this happen to me in state parks or whatever. I always ask to see the regulation in writing. Until then, I do not leave. Even after that, I still ask a lot of questions and generally make a stink.

I don't want it to be so easy for them, at the very least.

And if there is nothing in writing that they can produce I would stay.

Grandson of Liberty
10-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I wonder what they would have said if you told them you were with the Ron Paul Campaign.

someone from rudy's campaign would have claimed he threatened to throw ghouliani out the window. :rolleyes:

Severius
10-17-2007, 03:53 PM
This entire country is a free speech zone. Our Founding Fathers would be rolling in their graves if they knew that we were not fighting this abuse of our Liberty.

runderwo
10-17-2007, 04:07 PM
His answer is diametrically opposing common sense. Receiving government money would mean that the school is MORE beholden to the constitution, not less. :rolleyes: