PDA

View Full Version : DEA asks FDA to force one to get a prescription for cough syrup

Matt Collins
09-14-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/health-care/4500-dea-seeks-fda-to-regulate-cough-medicine

Elwar
09-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Finally!!!

fisharmor
09-14-2010, 02:42 PM
It's one of the reasons I'm so against the war on drugs - riding the 'tuss bus gets you way more out of control than any amount of pot. (But still less than alcohol.)

This form of drug abuse, like nearly all its forms, can produce serious health problems. Improper use of these cough medicines is believed to have been responsible for over 8,000 emergency room patients in 2008 — overwhelmingly teenagers.
....When the Soviets, for example, tried to combat alcoholism, Soviet men in the military would drink anti-freeze and aircraft fuel. The underlying problem was the endless tedium of the Workers’ Paradise and the limited number of ways to escape from the omnipresent Big Brother.

So, I don't see the New American making the stupefyingly obvious connection here: that imprisoning teenagers for 6 1/2 hours a day, and expecting them to do 4 more hours of work afterward, on top of any extracurricular activities like sports or music, might resemble the Soviet Union a little bit, and might be the impetus behind teenagers putting whatever shit they can find into their bodies to get a couple hours reprieve.

'Cause let me tell you, if you're gonna drink a whole family-sized bottle of Robotussin DM, you gotta be REALLY dedicated to getting fucked up.