PDA

View Full Version : Robert Kiyosaki support?

JPFromTally
10-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I've met Kiyosaki and have seen him speak on a couple of occasions. He's the author of the very popular "Rich Dad/Poor Dad" books of which I myself am a fan of.

On his myspace page, Ron Paul is on his top friends:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=125796884

However, I can't seem to find anything else that would indicate support.

He's VERY critical of Bush and the war, warns against the devaluation of the dollar in a lot of his books, is a big gold bug, is critical of government entitlements and supports a decrease in income taxes.

FrankRep
10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
The "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" books have Pro-Ron Paul ideas and even criticize taxes and over printing of the money.

RP4ME
10-17-2007, 01:32 PM
I wish he woudl be more vocal!!!!! He could convert alot of folks very quickly! He needs to start with Trump and get him off the Guliani train.....

wgadget
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
And while we're at it, how about Richard Maybury, author of the popular "Uncle Eric" books on economics and government. I hear he is a Libertarian. He's a shoo-in to support Dr. Paul.

In fact, my kids and I are reading his "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?" now as an economics study. Great book.

SWATH
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I read the the Rich Dad series a long time ago. Now when I read about Ron Paul, I keep thinking to myself "wow, this is what Kiyosaki was talking about in that book"

JosephTheLibertarian
10-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I was told on a money forum that he's a scammer and that his book doesn't work. Not true?

JoshLowry
10-17-2007, 01:40 PM
I was told on a money forum that he's a scammer and that his book doesn't work. Not true?

Of course no book will guarantee you to become rich...

It's a matter of how you apply what you learned from the book. I am sure there were some people who became succesful because of the material in the book that motivated them in a certain way or gave them a particular set of ideas.

I have a copy of it, but haven't read it yet. I think I will now that I have heard he has similiar views. :o

maiki
10-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Robert Kiyosaki is a liar. The mentor he talks about in the book is not a real person, and he did not make his money the way he explains in the books. He made it by selling such books.

ETA: but, some of his ideas are not worthless. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, as they say.

saku39
10-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Robert Kiyosaki is a liar. The mentor he talks about in the book is not a real person, and he did not make his money the way he explains in the books. He made it by selling such books.

ETA: but, some of his ideas are not worthless. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day, as they say.

True.

FrankRep
10-17-2007, 01:44 PM

Robert Kiyosaki is a motivational writer. His ideas are what's important.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Why doesn't he write a book on how to get rich writing a book? :p

Johncjackson
10-17-2007, 01:48 PM
The Kiyosakis of the world tend to contribute to the creation of the Casey Serins of the world.

AlexAmore
10-17-2007, 01:54 PM
He does make a very convincing argument about why it's better to own a business than work as an employee. Once you have that burning desire that this book will give you then you can go on to more dry books that might actually teach you the nitty gritty about business....books that you would otherwise have no motivation to read.

I read his books when I was about 14-15. Now i'm in college and will be a business owner within a couple of years. I already have a plan and college has a business course later on this year.

Bob Cochran
10-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Of course no book will guarantee you to become rich...
True.

But the age of being able to put easy-to-use tools in people's hands that generate wealth with little or no effort are upon us.

It's a well-kept kept secret, though.

Shhhhhhhhh!;)

JPFromTally
10-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I hear the argument about him being a scheister for not telling you how to become rich a lot. Frankly, if you expect someone to tell you how to become rich quick in a $15 book then I've got a book to sell you for $99.99.

What Robert says is this: That if you believe that getting a good education, finding a "safe and secure" job, and saving money is going to save you in the long term then you're going to be awfully dissapointed in the future.

Why? Because of a falling dollar that eats at your savings, a 401k plan that is tied to a scam stock market, illegal immigrants bankrupting entitlements, governments choking the average worker with more and more taxes, etc.

What he's trying to do is change the way people think. Most people live by the same rules that people played in the mid 20th century. We live in a different age where the average person has to become more sophisticated in terms how they earn and how they invest. Remember, the middle class is dissapearing not because of corporations but because of government.

reduen
10-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Joseph,

For what it is worth, I find Kiyosaki to be very credible. He teaches basic principles on how you should quit working for money and let your money work for you in order to get ahead in life.

My favorite of his books so far is Prophecy.

Check it out..

P.S.

It would be great to have this guy on board!!

CodeMonkey
10-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Lots of people criticize him for not giving specific details about how to get rich. Those people are missing the point. The book is about changing your philosophy on money and working, and then finding your own ways to make it work in real life.

uncloned21
10-17-2007, 02:34 PM
I hear the argument about him being a scheister for not telling you how to become rich a lot. Frankly, if you expect someone to tell you how to become rich quick in a $15 book then I've got a book to sell you for $99.99.

What Robert says is this: That if you believe that getting a good education, finding a "safe and secure" job, and saving money is going to save you in the long term then you're going to be awfully dissapointed in the future.

Why? Because of a falling dollar that eats at your savings, a 401k plan that is tied to a scam stock market, illegal immigrants bankrupting entitlements, governments choking the average worker with more and more taxes, etc.

What he's trying to do is change the way people think. Most people live by the same rules that people played in the mid 20th century. We live in a different age where the average person has to become more sophisticated in terms how they earn and how they invest. Remember, the middle class is dissapearing not because of corporations but because of government.

Agreed, this is the best assessment of Kiyosaki's book.

TheDuke
10-17-2007, 02:34 PM
I've read some of his books, but they obviously don't have academic value.... so he's kind of an economic sociologist :p

Question_Authority
10-17-2007, 02:35 PM

wow, that's a pretty harsh accusation. how do you back that up?

paulitics
10-17-2007, 02:41 PM
I agree, its a philosophy book...and a darn good one at that.

It allows you to think out of the box...but it does not solve any of the problems that most people have, and that is finding the million dollars to start a business. Sure there are still opportunities for self starters, maybe in real estate, but there are still risk with that unless you have a safety net.

There is a key difference between being self employed and owning a business. The problem is that it takes alot of capital to have your money work for you instead of you working for money.

Broadlighter
10-17-2007, 02:48 PM
And while we're at it, how about Richard Maybury, author of the popular "Uncle Eric" books on economics and government. I hear he is a Libertarian. He's a shoo-in to support Dr. Paul.

In fact, my kids and I are reading his "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?" now as an economics study. Great book.

I recently read Maybury's "Whatever Happened to Justice." Ron Paul is actually quoted in the book about a bill he once proposed that would require members of Congress to read legislation before voting on it. Ron Paul also gives one of the endorsements on the back and inside covers.

Ron Paul's platform definitely supports Maybury's ideas.

maiki
10-17-2007, 03:43 PM
wow, that's a pretty harsh accusation. how do you back that up?

http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

ksuguy
10-17-2007, 08:35 PM
I've read a few of his columns on Yahoo. Sometimes he says good things, but other times he gives some incredibly dangerous advice. For example, he gave an example of how he bought his first rental property by racking up massive amounts of credit card debt and putting himself way in the hole. It happened to work out well for him, but if something had gone wrong it would have led to financial disaster.

terlinguatx
10-17-2007, 08:37 PM

terlinguatx
10-17-2007, 08:38 PM

FrankRep
10-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I've read a few of his columns on Yahoo. Sometimes he says good things, but other times he gives some incredibly dangerous advice. For example, he gave an example of how he bought his first rental property by racking up massive amounts of credit card debt and putting himself way in the hole. It happened to work out well for him, but if something had gone wrong it would have led to financial disaster.

Use other people's money. Makes sense. There's good debt and bad debt.

Maybe you guys should actually read the book.

RevolutionSD
10-17-2007, 09:54 PM
I learned a TON from reading Kiyosaki's books, the Rich Dad story was just that, a story, that made a lot of sense and has helped a lot of people.

Kiyosaki is a libertarian and someone said he was actually talking to the Phoenix meetup people about helping out. This would be fantastic!