PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else noting the decrease in "longshot" usage?

Zydeco
10-17-2007, 01:01 PM
I've noticed a severe dropoff lately in the "longshot" terminology that's been used so often in the press to describe Ron Paul's chances in the race.

The major exception is Jim Kuhnhenn of AP, who appears to think "longshot" is part of Ron Paul's name. Or maybe he's Operation Mockingbird trash, who knows.

"Dark horse" seems to have replaced "longshot," which I approve of, since it has undertones of "he just might surprise everybody," while longshot has less favorable implications.

I suppose the shift, if I'm seeing it right, is a result of the Q3 $$ and the climb in the skientamitific polls to 4-5% range.

Anyway, the campaign has clearly reached a new stage, and I think we're about to see it go truly viral and exponential...the next 10 weeks might be the most exciting of our lives. Hang on! :cool:

libertythor
10-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Yes...and when he starts winning primaries...it will change to "Cinderella campaign", using football terminology.

paulitics
10-17-2007, 01:05 PM
yeah, dark horse is now the term predominately used.

steph3n
10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
dark horse and 3rd tier I have seen used recently, whatever third tier means!

Zydeco
10-17-2007, 01:10 PM
dark horse and 3rd tier I have seen used recently, whatever third tier means!

I saw 3rd tier someplace recently and bust out laughing. Who's second tier?

micahnelson
10-17-2007, 01:11 PM

The republican front runners.

First tier is all democrats

JPFromTally
10-17-2007, 01:12 PM
actually the only two that I see now is dark horse and libertarian. The kind of exposure the LP has gotten from RP is incredible.

Zydeco
10-17-2007, 01:14 PM
The republican front runners.

First tier is all democrats

Aha, incisive post.

justinc.1089
10-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Ah I liked longshot better than darkhorse simply because everyone the media calls a darkhorse in elections usually lose. It reminds me of when McCain ran against Bush in 2000 they called him a darkhouse.... and he lost too.

The thing that is really bothering me though is what if these polls they keep showing are actually accurate, and Ron Paul really is actually only getting like 10% of voters saying they're going to vote for him? Its scaring me lol..... but I'm extremely doubtful those polls are accurate since they contradict so badly with other polls.

Bobby Johnson
10-17-2007, 01:37 PM
The thing that is really bothering me though is what if these polls they keep showing are actually accurate, and Ron Paul really is actually only getting like 10% of voters saying they're going to vote for him? Its scaring me lol..... but I'm extremely doubtful those polls are accurate since they contradict so badly with other polls.

Where is Ron Paul getting 10% and what other polls are you talking about?

saku39
10-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I've noticed a severe dropoff lately in the "longshot" terminology that's been used so often in the press to describe Ron Paul's chances in the race.

The major exception is Jim Kuhnhenn of AP, who appears to think "longshot" is part of Ron Paul's name. Or maybe he's Operation Mockingbird trash, who knows.

"Dark horse" seems to have replaced "longshot," which I approve of, since it has undertones of "he just might surprise everybody," while longshot has less favorable implications.

I suppose the shift, if I'm seeing it right, is a result of the Q3 $$ and the climb in the skientamitific polls to 4-5% range.

Anyway, the campaign has clearly reached a new stage, and I think we're about to see it go truly viral and exponential...the next 10 weeks might be the most exciting of our lives. Hang on! :cool:

I agree completely. "Dark horse" has replaced "fringe" and "longshot." I've read and heard less about him being "2nd tier" as well.

It's only going to get bigger.

justinc.1089
10-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Where is Ron Paul getting 10% and what other polls are you talking about?

I'm talking about those supposedly "scientific" polls the the GOP does or news channels. I know Paul doesn't even have 10% on most of those but his numbers vary so I just said 10%.

Bradley in DC
10-17-2007, 02:09 PM

McCain, high name ID but in debt. (wait, would that make Romney second tier too? ;) )