PDA

View Full Version : why do libertarians want to downsize state and local legislatures?

cindy25
09-14-2010, 02:56 AM
the most successful state legislature is New Hampshire, with far more members than any other state.

and from state to state libertarians want to cut the sizes of the state senate, or have a unicameral legislature.

local groups want to cut town and city councils.

but cutting these will lead to more professional politicians, higher campaign costs.

Mini-Me
09-14-2010, 03:20 AM
I'm guessing it's a case of misplaced priorities: "Cut spending anywhere, in any order, no matter what, to reduce the amount of money being extorted from people via taxes." However, legislative salaries are not exactly a large expenditure compared to everything else governments spend money on, and a better solution yet would simply be to cut the salaries instead of the number of members. A smaller legislature will inevitably result in more corruption, less representation, and more taxing and spending anyway, so getting rid of legislative positions would really be cutting off our nose to spite our face. Your New Hampshire example illustrates the point perfectly. The only sensible time to reduce the size of the legislature is after all bad laws have been repealed...and at that point, the only reduction that will work is a reduction to zero legislators. ;)

Austrian Econ Disciple
09-14-2010, 04:19 AM
The reason why NH is more libertarian than any other state is not because the size of the legislature (Though it may have a part.., but if it does it is very small), but because the elected legislators get paid 100$ a year, have little power (no sales, income tax), and the people have a more libertarian perspective than pretty much any other state. Those are the big three. You could have a 5,000 member legislature, but it wouldn't really matter if they had a sales & income tax, got paid 200,000$ a year, etc. It wouldn't be a libertarian place for long.

cindy25
09-14-2010, 04:24 AM
if NH had a 15 member unicameral legislature they would have serious campaign expenses, expect a full time salary, be influenced by the lobbyists and say hello to income and sales taxes.

Matt Collins
09-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Remember libertarianism =| constitutionalism. The two are not one in the same. Although today many of their goals are politically aligned or are at least similar.

libertybrewcity
09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
I would think that libertarians want to downsize state and local government, not state and local legislatures.

Jeremy
09-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Don't the NH reps get paid $100 a year?

Remember libertarianism =| constitutionalism. The two are not one in the same. Although today many of their goals are politically aligned or are at least similar. I don't think you know what the OP is talking about.